Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 01:16 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,729,194 times

Advertisements

I thought it might be helpful to begin a new thread about this so that we don't dilute PD's original concern about the Promenade any further- that's a problem unto itself, but this WALMART thing is just...well I don't use that sort of language so lets just say it stinks royally and leave it at that.

I have been trying to scour up what I can with my sorry computer skills and it looks like there are several groups who are going to help put up a fight, but my concerns are heightened when reading the Coastal Observer articles that convey council members' attitudes and actions that have already been taken. It seems that there is a big difference in re-designing tired property and starting anew, as with the loathesome Lowe's project, and therefore council members previously engaged with stopping development of the big box mentality are not as concerned because this site is 'already developed'.

So, friends, can someone please explain how tearing down almost the entire pre-existing building ( apparently the bank stays) and expanding another 7 acres in order to skirt existing siting ordinaces (and allow a building almost 3 times the currently allowed size) is really different than starting new?
By the time the old is removed ( and think about all that -stuff- in your landfill) the new drainage and sewage needs addressed, the additional 7 acres is cleared ( so long trees and more for the landfill), the new enter/exit access is created and the construction of a huge 119,000 SF building is created with all that lovely paved parking in front to skirt the frontage ordinance issue, haven't they really done the same thing as clearing a lot and building it out?

If there happen to be any council members who read these forums, I am genuinely interested to learn and understand the ideology behind the consideration of this (IMO) ridiculous idea that another Walmart or any large volume business like it, is needed in the one and only remainder of what the 'traditional' SC coastal community is supposed to be.

Please excuse the rant, but we have spent years looking for and researching to locate our next home and chose PI expressly for its lack of intrusion by the huge corporate entities. Our dream is coming near to fruition and the thought of a Walmart, or large scale development of any kind justturns my stomach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 01:26 PM

Another 10 signatures on signon.org in the last 2 hours...kep 'em coming!!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 07:37 AM

194 posts, read 750,500 times
I have the same concerns as you do about the site busydesk. I think the big difference is the existing site already has the necessary zoning in place to some extent where the proposed site of Lowe's did not have the needed zoning.

It is also my understanding that the Plaza site is outside of the 500 foot Hwy zone that limits big box stores from locating.

The setback I believe is the issue here and they need the additional property in order to avoid the 45k limit on buildings in the Hwy 17 corridor.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 PM

Another part of this which I just read is that the actual decision will not be made in PI but by the Georgetown County officials. That is a big hit, as they are certainly less concerned with the effect on the community than with the potential addition of jobs to the area. NOt that jobs aren't needed, but a mega store in PI is just nauseating to think about.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:38 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,850,048 times
OK, busydesk, it took awhile, but I finally made the connection...

The Town of Pawleys Island and its authority covers only the actual island, itself. Once you cross the causeways, you are officially entering an "unincorporated area of Georgetown County", under the jurisdiction of the Georgetown County Council. This is the same situation that existed in 2005, when Lowe's was defeated. The Mayor of PI spoke against the Lowe's store, but only as a (influential) concerned citizen, not as part of any decision-making body.

It's still early, but I don't see the outrage and energy that was quickly generated when Lowe's attempted to open a store in PI. I'm afraid that too many people who live here now just see Walmart as a natural progression of what's been going on down here for quite awhile, and that's just sad....

Old 08-15-2012, 07:43 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,850,048 times
The response has been pretty good, but it will take a lot more than an online petition to impact County Council. It's going to take letters, phone calls, arm-twisting, and a significant in-person presence at any hearings or discussions that are held. Time will tell whether the area still has that kind of energy.

Last edited by Global Friend; 08-22-2012 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: no political activist links permitted, sorry

Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 PM

I realize that the section of "town" we are talking about is an unicorporated area...and I'm sure that is what is going to be the downfall of this situation in the long run as-like you stated- its going to take a LOT of people pressure to make an impact.
It is unfortunate that so many folks these days have become complacent about these big corporations plastering themselves everywhere; and then they end up cannibalizing themselves and the neighborhood is left with derelict buildings and blight!!!!
Please do continue to update the situation with meeting days and times...I do want to try to be present to work against this action as often as possible.
It just makes me SICK!!!! - and not in the way the kids mean it these days!

Old 08-15-2012, 10:38 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,891,071 times
Among all the other arguments and points made, I just don't understand "the need" for another Walmart. These corporations do a tremendous amount of demographics research before making this type of decision, yet I do not see the population of Pawleys Island carrying a Walmart. Folks from Murrells Inlet & parts north have their stores and those in Georgetown have theirs. I just don't see the need.

Now, with that said, I think the real problem and concern should be about the precedent. If the county administrators allow this to occur than it opens the gates for other big box stores to skirt the intent of the overlay zone. The very same situation could take place at the plaza where the Bi-Lo or where the Subway & Domino's stores are.

I just don't want this to become so congested as Mount Pleasant etc.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:06 AM

Hi baylovers and thanks for joining in.
Your point is one of the big reasons to have concern over this project, IMO. With this new Promenade project in the works, and Walmart trying to make inroads it won't be long before other large corporations will be looking at PI with new interest.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:25 AM

By the way- thanks to PD for putting the petition link here. That sort of thing is outside my computer skill set. Yes, the term dinosaur has been used to describe me...
Also...
I was re-reading the Promenade thread and PD mentioned that the influential council member that helped stop the Lowe's project is no longer on the council. Is that person still in the area, PD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area