Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 4,852 times

Advertisements

My husband is interviewing for a good job in Conway right now, but the thought of moving terrifies me. The thought of moving to Conway scares me even more. I've been born and raised in Southern California, and while the cost of living is astronomically high, the diversity, the open-mindedness and acceptance of people from all walks of life is highly appealing. I have 2 young children, and our family is fairly liberal. Is this move going to be a big mistake? Most of the people I've talked with say that Conway and SC in general is extremely conservative, and while I know it's pretty much the buckle of the Bible belt, I'm hoping that it will be ok. Thoughts? How is the city of Conway as a whole? We've also entertained living in Myrtle Beach... moving from Los Angeles, the tourism wouldn't be a problem, in fact it would probably be a comfort..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 PM

32 posts, read 68,669 times
Man, I'm trying to move out to LA right now! ha but! I would consider moving to Myrtle Beach more so than Conway. Myrtle Beach is not that conservative and has more of a "city vibe" than any other spot. Luckily this town doesn't have the annoying bible belt law of opening stores at 1:30 pm on Sunday like in Columbia, SC so you don't have to worry about all of that. In general though, yes, SC is really conservative but being a liberal (myself) isn't that hard. You're just going to roll your eyes at all the politics. as usual.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:21 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,782,179 times
I live in Conway and basically had the same questions when I moved here. I sent you a private message with my thoughts and experience.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:03 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,676,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beandiva33 View Post
My husband is interviewing for a good job in Conway right now, but the thought of moving terrifies me. The thought of moving to Conway scares me even more. I've been born and raised in Southern California, and while the cost of living is astronomically high, the diversity, the open-mindedness and acceptance of people from all walks of life is highly appealing. I have 2 young children, and our family is fairly liberal. Is this move going to be a big mistake? Most of the people I've talked with say that Conway and SC in general is extremely conservative, and while I know it's pretty much the buckle of the Bible belt, I'm hoping that it will be ok. Thoughts? How is the city of Conway as a whole? We've also entertained living in Myrtle Beach... moving from Los Angeles, the tourism wouldn't be a problem, in fact it would probably be a comfort..
You don't give us to much of what you actually are looking for. I know that this area does accept people of all walks of life. This is a melting pot of people from many locations now.
As far as being the Bible Belt we have not been bothered over the 12 years of coming, and living,, here by any
over zealous person pushing their religion on us.
For a fact, my neighborhood has many religions and to me that is a perfect place.
Conway is a cute town, but its not a big time active place...as one might speak of Myrtle Beach.
If you live in an area like Socastee you will be by Myrtle Beach and also just 20 min. from Conway.
You will then have shopping and entertainment at your fingertips.
I'd suggest some nice locations like "The Lakes," or " The Gates" for your family.(IMHO)
Other lower priced areas but very nice are "Glenmere" and " Lake Park Plantation" just off of 544.
Right on the highway to Conway. ( The Gates would be a couple minutes more to travel)
The ocean is very close and many places to keep your kids and family occupied.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 AM

312 posts, read 733,107 times
I am sure Rapture will be a tremendous help for you.....Please consider moving to more Myrtle Beach/North Myrtle Beach area....not that far of a drive to Conway....I lived in California and even if it is 15 miles or so...you are thinking oh my goodness the traffic...there is no such problem here....yes, there are traffic jams and during tourist season, it can be maddening to get around town....but nothing like you experience in LA.....and please know that yes Conway is listed as a city but much different size than those in the LA area...
Have you ever been south? You truly may want to visit and do some research before actually making the plunge!
I have two really good friends that are in the late 20'2/early 30's...born and raised in Southern Cali and live in Wilmington North Carolina which is alot larger than Conway and they do not like it and they make very good money for this area...he is a surfer dude and well pretty much saving to go back....you know the grass is always greener.....but anyway, as there are alot of different positives from crazy California...it is still quite a large adjustment....people here will say the Bible Belt doesn't affect them....but you know you are there right in the middle of it.....yesterday, for example, the state of Mississippi just changed their slavery laws....and it was discussed here in my office.....let us just say they thought that was not a good idea.....
You will find an influx of Yankees here...and even then, Yankees are quite different from Cali people....I would just suggest a visit...that is all........best of luck and let us know what you think if you do visit!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 AM

312 posts, read 733,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady-a View Post
Man, I'm trying to move out to LA right now! ha but! I would consider moving to Myrtle Beach more so than Conway. Myrtle Beach is not that conservative and has more of a "city vibe" than any other spot. Luckily this town doesn't have the annoying bible belt law of opening stores at 1:30 pm on Sunday like in Columbia, SC so you don't have to worry about all of that. In general though, yes, SC is really conservative but being a liberal (myself) isn't that hard. You're just going to roll your eyes at all the politics. as usual.
I like your thoughts....well put!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:53 PM

349 posts, read 863,369 times
I grew up in San Diego and now live in Myrtle Beach (with a few places in between). I would definitely choose Myrtle Beach over Conway. Carolina Forest is a great area with newer homes. My husband and I are both 30 and are trying to leave South Carolina, but I can say that having good friends in the area is the only way to stay sane.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM

596 posts, read 938,452 times
South Carolina is at least 45% liberal, it has much more political diversity than California does. the large black population here votes nearly 100% for Democrats if you locate in areas with a lot of blacks you should be just fine.

if you want to be price gouged to live in California only b/c you can't tolerate ppl with different views on politics, go for it. but it's not like SC is liberal free. Only if it were!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area