Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 06:15 AM

31 posts, read 65,682 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to either Murrells Inlet or Pawley's Island and we have decided that building new is our preference but we absolutely want to avoid living in a community with restrictive HOA's. Would anyone have any recommendations on where to focus our land search? We are a family with young kids and ideally want to be near the water or even have a boat dock with access to the ocean. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 06:59 AM

13,394 posts, read 27,257,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjfud View Post
We are considering relocating to either Murrells Inlet or Pawley's Island and we have decided that building new is our preference but we absolutely want to avoid living in a community with restrictive HOA's. Would anyone have any recommendations on where to focus our land search? We are a family with young kids and ideally want to be near the water or even have a boat dock with access to the ocean. Thanks so much!
I suspect the southern part of Pawley's Island would be the least developed, and therefore the least likely to have HOA's.

A Realtor would certainly be able the help you better. However, I did a quick search on Realtor.com for land under $100K. It is easy to determine which parcels are part of a development which normally has an HOA. There were several "non-HOA" parcels among the 100 or so listings. Brown Pelican Loop, Wicklow Way are some examples at the high end. McKenzie Circle and Wassamaw were at the low end. With these you will have to have the land cleared, do the sewer connection, everything else before you can build.

The advantage of being in a development is that the developer does the clearing and connecting.

Of course, if you are just looking for a "less restrictive" HOA, then a buyer broker is your best resource. They can also help you determine if your "wish list" is reasonable for your budget. For example, I suspect that having a dock will put you in an area that must be regulated by an HOA, as there are federal and state regulations on coastal water quality.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-04-2014 at 07:41 AM..

Old 05-05-2014, 04:41 AM

Thanks for the feedback goldenage!!

Old 05-06-2014, 07:10 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,902,363 times
You are more likely to find a lot without an HOA in Pawleys Island than you are in Murrells Inlet, but there are some. HOAs are plentiful around here (I'm not quite sure how that happened since nine of ten people I work with don't want them ). What is your budget? That information will likely get you more specific responses.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
HOAs are plentiful around here (I'm not quite sure how that happened since nine of ten people I work with don't want them ).
Here in North Carolina, HOA's have been required for developments over a certain size. We have to submit our requests for changes to the architectural review board. The mostly rubber-stamp fences and sheds, but they make you comply with the "permeable surface area" requirement of the state law for coastal areas. This prevents you from paving over too much of your lot which would then flush the lawn pesticides and fertilizer into the Intracoastal waterway. So the HOA is like the front line of defense in protecting water quality.

The OP should certainly avoid the more expensive plantations and golf communities if he want to avoid the most intrusive HOAs. They are the ones most likely to have nit-picking architectural reviews.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:56 PM

We are looking for a 4bedroom, 2.5 bath home with a bonus/rec room space with at least 1/2 acre, our budget is not set, ideally all said about 500k +/- If not part of a community, we would like a pool

Old 05-06-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
We are looking for a 4bedroom, 2.5 bath home with a bonus/rec room space with at least 1/2 acre, our budget is not set, ideally all said about 500k +/- If not part of a community, we would like a pool
Your plans sounds feasible, as there are 12 or so existing houses that match your description. Most are in planned communities, but I have no idea how restrictive they are.

If you could look further south to Georgetown, there are some nice existing houses outside of the planned communities.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:54 AM

That might actually work well for us as I will be looking for work in the healthcare industry and may have to commute to Charleston (fingers crossed!)..any towns in particular to look at or to stay away from . Haven't heard much about Georgetown or the areas south of there. Thanks again goldenage1!

Old 05-07-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
any towns in particular to look at or to stay away from . Haven't heard much about Georgetown or the areas south of there.
As I remember driving through, there is a long stretch of National Forest between Georgetown and Charleston, thinly populated with no homes visible from the road.

The Realtor website showed a few lovely homes in Georgetown in your price range. The one I wanted was built in 1740, but not sure you would want to deal with the rules for living in a historic home.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Haven't heard much about Georgetown or the areas south of there.
The historic district and waterfront of Georgetown are physically gorgeous, but there is a pulp mill nearby. I'm not sure where the smell blows, but it's something to check out. For example, this recent thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/myrtl...getown-sc.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area