Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,646 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow movers,
As you can see from the title im a young man moving from upstate NY to myrtle beach. I will be looking for gainful employment upon my arrival and will be in a way starting away. I'll be crashing with my brother for a couple weeks until I find a nice apartment. I have a Double major bachelors in public relations and marketing. I feel my degree will be very marketable in myrtle beach as the area is a tourist destination and is home to a large marketing and public relations area. I intend to use a 16 foot Penske truck and a car trailer to perform my move. I was quoted $850 to rent the then truck and trailer. If anyone has any advice to offer regarding this life change I have described please feel free to chime in. In my professional work I found that networking is far more successfull in finding a career fit then simply applying with a resume. In addition if anyone has done a similar move I would love to hear your findings and experience. My apologies for and grammatical errors. Thank you for your time, and Happy Mother's Day!

Respectfully,
Justin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 03:41 PM

79 posts, read 152,173 times
Justin

Changes in life are good. A word of caution - Myrtle Beach has a very tough employment environment. I lived and worked in the area for 7 years and jobs are not easy to come by. Salaries are low and jobs are not readily available outside hospitality and some retail. Secure viable employment before you move.

Good luck in your move!

Old 05-11-2014, 05:19 PM

790 posts, read 1,628,414 times
I second NeverBeingBoring's advice. Use your brother's address on your resume and start your job search from there and secure the job before moving. My brother-in-law is a paralegal who felt that he'd have no problem finding a job once he got here (he has 20 years experience). After 5 months, not a nibble for something in his field and he's willing to take a sizeable salary cut. MB is a tough place to find a job.

Keep in mind that the Grand Strand is really a series of small towns linked together but with no major industry except tourism. So it's not like a large or even medium size city where there are lots of opportunities and many major players. Here, it's only a few major players and less opportunities.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:34 AM

27 posts, read 48,498 times
If you're young, single w/ no kids, have a degree in hand, and a brother in the area, then I say do it. Sure it would be great to have a job already lined up but that's not always easy to secure from a long distance. Come down, see how it goes, and if it doesn't work out to your satisfaction then move on to the next adventure.

Ah, to be young again....

Last edited by BigYellowHat; 05-12-2014 at 06:45 AM..

Old 05-12-2014, 10:02 AM

10 posts, read 16,498 times
Good luck on your search for a job. I live and grew up 50 miles from MB and always wanted to live at the beach myself. But jobs aren't easy to come by and the area is growing so fast and it seems so crowded to me from what it did years ago.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 4,646 times
Thank you for all the great advice! Where I live it is absolutely dead in regards to employment opportunity, so Myrtle Beach cant be much worse. I have a position available working in a condo for the time being. Just looking to make connections in the area.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,909 times
Talking same situation here

Hi, Right now we are from Mass. and just bought over 2 acres in Nicoles, SC. very nice area close to Conway and 25 mins to MB. The town is very county/farm land. We don't have and of our kids coming with us but we do have my elder mother in law so we decided on putting in a huge double wide, we looked at many homes from manufactured to stick build none of them have basements so we found land and decided a new manufactured was the way to go Rabons housing center in Conway are great people to work with from buying the land to the home we are doing the turnkey thing when we make our move in Sept. all we do is move our belongings in. I can't say enough about them if you get a chance to go there mention jean and Bud from Mass. Now out biggest concern is Health insurance since my husband is disabled and I need to be home to watch over mom I wonder if SC has there own state health insurance. 1 More thing to look into. Good Luck in your search Jean

Old 05-22-2014, 05:24 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,574,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean57 View Post
Hi, Right now we are from Mass. and just bought over 2 acres in Nicoles, SC. very nice area close to Conway and 25 mins to MB. The town is very county/farm land.

Now our biggest concern is Health insurance since my husband is disabled and I need to be home to watch over mom I wonder if SC has there own state health insurance. 1 More thing to look into. Good Luck in your search Jean
Moving from very liberal Massachusetts - a pioneer in healthcare for all - to conservative SC which refused to expand Medicaid and didn't even set up an ACA exchange???? Wow!!! Assume you must have a conservative political philosophy and an entrenched belief in self-sufficiency to make such a huge leap with a disabled spouse.

Don't expect much in the way of social services in SC - especially rural SC. Hopefully, you have sufficient retirement income and both your husband and mother have SSDI/Medicare/Medigaps/VA. If either of them are on Medicaid, you will need to reapply for that in SC.

Your updates should be interesting.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:05 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,794,086 times
Please don't turn this into a political thread, especially since thats not what the OP was asking about, thx!

Justin - jobs are very tough here but search Craigs List, Indeed, Monster...all the usual. Also, look on meetup.com there are several networking groups on there you can join for this area. You never know, someone on there might be able to help you with the job search. There are a few marketing companies here, I have no idea what they pay but search for Myrtle Beach or Horry County marketing jobs. I'll tell you, if you can do web design well and wnated to start your own small business along with offering social media marketing, I bet you can be successful. I have a lot of experience in all of the above and see many small businesses here that are terrible at marketing or they do none and go out of business. If you are clever, assertive and good at especialy social media - I would go that route. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2014, 01:55 PM

3 posts, read 9,136 times
Sounds like Rapture has good advice. I moved from CT over 10 years ago and it is getting easier to adapt to Southern Ways. You will probably be better off trying to start your own small business focusing on the social media aspect-a lot of people need help with that. Hospitality is big but so is Real Estate and Property Management. A lot of people are expected to move here to retire, so anything that helps with that would also be a good business. Good Luck and go for it. We moved right after 9-11 and don't regret it. We didn't retire here but it did take time to get established. We had no family here and knew only the Realtor and we did fine. Burning your bridges would not be smart but don't leave yourself too many lifelines and you will make it!
Darn Yankee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area