Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 06:45 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,625 times

Advertisements

I realized today that my fear of snakes might be a little over the top when I decided to, once again, pay someone to spray urine all over my yard. I did it early in the summer and it appeared to work. I didn't see any more snakes in our yard until the other day when I left my garage door open for a few minutes only to find one slithered his way in (note: this was well past the time that the original spray was reported to work so I am in no way reporting the snake spray didn't work). Of course I called for another spray. I am cheap, though, so it occurred to me that knowledge would be much cheaper at calming my fear (since lack of knowledge is the cause of most fear).On the other hand, if others have experienced success with the spraying I would probably continue to pay for my peace of mind (since my biggest concern is my kids and a dog who insists on trying to play with them). Has anyone used a snake service? And, if so, how were the results for you?

Added Note: If anyone is willing to share their knowledge of snakes, so I could be more informed, anything you got, it would be truly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by neecewh; 10-09-2014 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Added Note
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 01:54 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,009,296 times
I don't mind non-poisonous snakes...they keep rodents (mice and stuff!) at bay! Of course, I don't want to be surprised by them, but the non-poisonous snakes are actually beneficial to you!

I think I'd be more worried about urine all over the place, than the odd snake!

Find out what KIND of snakes are around you, and go from there! If they aren't dangerous, don't worry too much about them! I know, easier said than done, if you have a fear!

Old 10-10-2014, 04:41 PM

790 posts, read 1,625,006 times
Moth balls work very well at keeping snakes at bay. BUT, not a good idea to use when children are around.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:25 PM

538 posts, read 1,008,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
Moth balls work very well at keeping snakes at bay. BUT, not a good idea to use when children are around.
From what I've read and seen (videos on youtube).....mothballs are worthless, as are the the rest of the chemicals sold to the public. Dare I say "snake oil", <<yes pun intended>> for false cure of keeping the slime away!!

Just keep your hedges trimmed, and keep an eye out for the suckers.

Oh.....I'm afraid of them too, so you're not alone.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:23 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,552,545 times
I love seeing snakes. And would never kill one, not even a poisonous one unless it was inside and a threat. I have been disappointed in the number of snakes I have seen in both SC and FL. I think I have seen more in NJ.

What area do you live in where you see so many snakes? It can't be anywhere near us in Murrells Inlet......

Old 10-10-2014, 07:56 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I love seeing snakes. And would never kill one, not even a poisonous one unless it was inside and a threat. I have been disappointed in the number of snakes I have seen in both SC and FL. I think I have seen more in NJ.

What area do you live in where you see so many snakes? It can't be anywhere near us in Murrells Inlet......
Oh goodness, I wouldn't kill them, Tmozer, (unless as you said they were a threat) just trying to keep them out of my yard and away from my kids and dog. We had many in Maryland too. We lived on the C&D Canal and it was Water Moccasin central. It still didn't make me comfortable with them. We used to have several that liked to come out and sun in a big fountain we had out front .... YIKES

I live in Prestwick in Surfside, Tmozer, and they are plentiful here. We also had many occasion that we saw them when we lived at Tupelo Bay. A six foot racer at my backdoor with his head up was very intimidating (pic below). Also, our neighbor rang our bell one day and when we went to open our door he said "don't open it!" he just wanted to let us know that one was outside our door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC here I come
Just keep your hedges trimmed, and keep an eye out for the suckers.
Yes, that reminds me there are a few more bushes I didn't trim the bottoms off. I did several but I need to do them all. At least then I will have a good view of the ground. Thanks for the reminder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54
Yes, my kids would be ok, but my dog is still a puppy and thinks everything is for his consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea
Find out what KIND of snakes are around you, and go from there! If they aren't dangerous, don't worry too much about them! I know, easier said than done, if you have a fear!
I have seen racers (which are harmless by freakishly aggressive - but I can live with them). We also had a rattlesnake in our back yard - yard is very small, so being in it with him was too close for comfort! Also, a cottonmouth/water moccasin in the neighbors driveway. I don't know what the one was in my garage. I opened the house door to go out and he/she was at the opening of the door area. My best guess is a racer or moccasin ... wasn't close enough to see and happy for it

Thank you all for your input!
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes and Paying to keep them at bay - Worth it?-466999_3391657802567_883548627_o.jpg  

Last edited by neecewh; 10-10-2014 at 08:06 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 10:59 PM

538 posts, read 1,008,986 times
That photo just gave me the heebie jeebies!!!

Old 10-11-2014, 06:55 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,552,545 times
The only ones that make me nervous (when walking our small Pug) are copperheads. They blend in and play dead if approached. I have seen a couple in MI and am always on the lookout for them while walking the dog. I am afraid he will sniff one and get bit. While it is unlikely a bite would kill me, it very well could kill the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
View detailed profiles of: