Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 08:27 PM

930 posts, read 2,162,363 times

Advertisements

I live in the Charlotte, NC area. My husband and I are renewing our vows in Myrtle Beach in August. We are looking for a restaurant to take everyone to after the ceremony. We were going to have a reception, but have changed our minds. The restaurants that we wanted to go to don't open until 4 and the ceremony is at 10 a.m. so we are looking for nice restaurants open for lunch. Not fancy(like a Sheraton or hotel) or plain. Something in the middle that has a variety for everyone. There will only be about 20 people, so we are trying to find somehwere we can make reservations when we have a definite head count. Any suggestions? The ceremony is in North Myrtle. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 01:19 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,315,434 times
When our son and daughter-in-law got married at Huntington Beach State Park a couple of years ago, they wanted a place for the wedding dinner that would be on the ocean and nice but not super fancy. We ended up having it at Damon's, 2985 S. Ocean Blvd., next to the Springmaid Pier in Myrtle Beach and it was very, very nice, and the food was very good. We have since gone there for both lunch and dinner several times and never been disappointed. It is oceanfront and has an outdoor dining area right next to the beach. If you decide to go there, you will definitely need a reservation, as it is quite popular, and especially since you are going during the peak vacation season and have a larger group. It is probably about half an hour south of N. MB, but it was also about half an hour north of Huntington Beach State Park for us and it wasn't a big deal.

Damons Grill, The best ribs in Myrtle Beach, SC

Old 03-30-2015, 02:34 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,708 times
You might be interested in going somewhere a bit more unique than Damon's, which is a chain restaurant. Maybe not, but just in case, here's a link to a place that is much closer to N. Myrtle and people love it here:

Sea Captain's House Restaurant Fine Seafood Dining | Sea Captain's House

It's also right on the ocean and has beautiful views and excellent food. It's not fancy and they are open for lunch.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:23 PM

Thank you both. I will go see them both. Damons had prices on their menu but the other did not. Do have an idea of a price point, such as, comparable restaurant for pricing. They were both exactly what we were looking for. Thank you for your help.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:06 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
Thank you both. I will go see them both. Damons had prices on their menu but the other did not. Do have an idea of a price point, such as, comparable restaurant for pricing. They were both exactly what we were looking for. Thank you for your help.
I don't know of a place or website to compare pricing. Maybe you can just call them and ask what certain menu items cost. I do know that on google plus the price listing was $$. I think when they put prices with dollars signs like that to give you an idea of price - the range is from $ to $$$$.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:31 AM

Thanks for your help. We are going over next weekend to check them out.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:18 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,315,434 times
Damon's in Myrtle Beach is a chain restaurant in name only, and has neither the look or the ambiance of a chain restaurant, if you're comparing to something like Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday. You can walk into any Applebee's in the country and know you're in an Applebee's, but most Damon's do not have an expansive, oceanfront view or are this spacious, and the decor does not lend itself to feeling automatically like "Oh, we're at Damon's".

The Sea Captain's House is a Myrtle Beach icon, in that it has been there for several decades. We have been there a handful of times, most recently this past October, and the kids did consider it briefly for their wedding dinner as well. Honestly, I don't think it's what it's cracked up to be. It is quaint, but it is fairly small, and ocean views are much more limited than at Damon's. Damon's has the tables turned in such a way that everyone has at least a sideways view of the beach, while most the larger tables at the Sea Captain's House are turned in such a way that half of your party will have their backs to the ocean. I also didn't think that the staff was nearly as friendly as those at Damon's. They seemed rushed and impatient, because there is often a line of people waiting to get in, since the Sea Captain's House is hyped as such a "can't miss" place. There was also food on the floor in places, probably because they were busy and didn't take the time to clean it up. I"m not saying that we had a terrible experience there, just that it was far more mediocre than we had expected for a unique, iconic, restaurant. In short, you are paying for all the hype.

Besides a nicer ambiance, better ocean view, and the option of outdoor seating, one of the main reasons the kids chose Damon's was because of the price. It is more reasonable that the Sea Captain's House, to be sure. When we were at the Sea Captain's House this past October, the bill for four adults, with no desserts or alcoholic beverages and without ordering the most expensive items on the menu (I had a grilled porkchop) was just over $120.00 with tax and tip. The food was good, but I thought that was a bit exhorbitant for what we got.

This is strictly my opinion in comparing the two restaurants. We had a very lovely experience at Damon's and never once felt like we were at a chain restaurant. They were also very generous about us bringing in our own dessert (wedding cake) and sparkling grape juice (our group were all teetotalers),and even set up a nice table for this and provided dishes and silverware. We would go there for a group event again, and we manage to have lunch there at least once or twice every time we are in the area. It is good!

Last edited by canudigit; 04-01-2015 at 05:43 AM..

Old 04-01-2015, 07:56 PM

We are going next weekend to check out Damons. I had someone at work second your vote today. She said that there were two of them in Myrtle, but we are going to the one on the water. The only thing that I noticed was they don't offer steak for lunch.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:03 PM

Also, we want a restuarant with somewhat of a variety of food to choose from. One type of food doesn't work for everyone. My parent's aren't big seafood eaters.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:35 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,718,284 times
Tupelo Honey just opened in the Market Common and they have had good reviews from friends of mine. I think its somewhat unique- you could check them out.
In North Myrtle, the Parsonage used to be a favorite of ours- don't know if they are open for lunch or not.
If Murrell's Inlet isn't too far, you might consider one of the restaurants on the Marsh Walk. Drunken Jack's has a variety of foods on the menu, as does Wicked Tuna.
Any of these would be on the more casual side, but I think there may be private rooms available at each.
Many restaurants are listed on Open Table.com and quite a few of them offer their menu on the site so you can compare...it may save you some calls ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area