Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 09:13 PM

9 posts, read 12,351 times

Advertisements

We are currently looking for a house in Berkshire Forest in Myrtle Beach. We found one online that is ALL ELECTRIC. The community has natural gas. We would only be interested in purchasing this house IF it could be converted to gas. We have no idea how to go about finding out the cost for such a project. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 11:03 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,831 times
When I was looking into converting my electric stove to gas, I got a quote of $900 in addition to the price of the new stove.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:31 AM

Thanks for that response. However, we're looking to converting an entire house. There is currently no gas going into the house. It's all electric.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:04 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishEi View Post
Thanks for that response. However, we're looking to converting an entire house. There is currently no gas going into the house. It's all electric.
If that includes replacing the heat pump with a furnace, I'd ballpark it at $10,000. You will have the get the natural gas provider to run a line from the street to your house. Then you have to install a gas furnace. (We replaced our gas furnace in Maryland and the bill was over $6000.)

Then an expert would have to tell you whether the ducts in the house are the correct size. Replacing ducts would get very costly.

I assume you want a gas stove in the kitchen, so you have to cost estimate a new stove, anywhere from $800 to $5000, depending on how fancy. Then the cost to install the stove. ($900 sounds good, maybe high.) A gas dryer and water heater are probably an option for you not a necesity, so I didn't include them.

There are several companies in the yellow pages under "furnaces- heating". I'd start calling them and ask about their experience with gas furnaces. You might check: Tri-County Mechanical, Atlantic Heating and Cooling, Martin Heating and Air and J&J Air. I don't have personal experience with any of them, but their ads look like possible propects.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-27-2015 at 08:31 AM..

Old 04-27-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Then you have to install a gas furnace. (We replaced our gas furnace in Maryland and the bill was over $6000.)
Clarification: Perhaps you should be looking for an outdoor "gas pack" or "dual fuel" rather than a separate gas furnace. They combine a heat pump with a gas burner which kicks in below a certain temperature. Here's an example of a gas pack (costing between $3000 and $3500):

Rheem R410A Packaged Dual Fuel, 14 SEER 3.0 Ton 100K BTU Gas

Carolina Termperature Control in Myrtle Beach is one company that installs dual fuel systems as well as gas furnaces:
http://www.orangetrucks.com/dual-fuel-hybrid-systems

Old 04-27-2015, 11:13 AM

Thanks for all that info, Golden age. I definitely will look into the heat pump / furnace combination. Thanks again.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishEi View Post
Thanks for all that info, Golden age. I definitely will look into the heat pump / furnace combination. Thanks again.
The problem with a separate gas furnace is that you need a place to put it where it can ventilate outdoors. Some houses have room in the garage, but others will not.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:48 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
It's really the cost of running the line from the access to the house...after that, it's the cost of appliances, and any inside lines...call a plumber and find out costs...plumbers do gas lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area