Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 06:01 AM

6 posts, read 14,364 times

Advertisements

I am a 19 year old girl planning on moving to Myrtle. I lived in Oak Island/Southport NC area when I was around 14 so I know the area somewhat. I currently own my own home in PA but would like to sell and buy a nice studio or 1 bedroom condo at Myrtle. I am in the Real estate business so can anyone tell me about the job market? Here in Pittsburgh PA it's not looking too great lately, and I've noticed a boom of homes/condos for sale AND actually selling in Myrtle the past 6 months. I look into this pretty often but would like some insight from someone who knows first hand. How safe is the general community down there for a woman in her early 20's thinking of moving alone? (I know not to walk at night, go in questionable areas, ect). I just want a little security from the crime rating being so low, from what I've heard it's because of the tourist to resident ratio. What is the sense of community like for year-round residents, would I get a warm welcome or the cold shoulder considering I'm from the North? I had some trouble with that when I moved to Oak Island for the first few months because of my accent and somewhat different views, although I know since that is about 30 minutes away it could be very different. I am sociable though and get along with mostly everyone I meet so I made many friends during my time there once they got used to me, also taking into consideration I was a younger teenager then. What is the general cost of living, average gas prices (I drive a big V8). ANY and ALL advice would help and be greatly appreciated, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,082 times
I moved to Myrtle Beach by myself (no friends or relatives in the area either) in my mid-20s. What I learned is that community is very hard to find. People are constantly in and out so it is hard to get connected. What helped was joining a yoga studio where I met like-minded people and was welcomed by the staff and teachers who were more permanent fixtures in the area. But maybe yoga isn't your thing... you just need to find a group that has a common interest, whatever that might be... church, sports, ballroom dancing etc. I've watched several people around your age come and go because they couldn't develop local friendships so it's important to get connected somewhere. Being from the north really shouldn't be an issue as there are a LOT of northerners here. As for safety... be smart and you will be fine just like anywhere else.

Cost of living is relative. Housing can be cheap, gas is lower than most cities, food is expensive.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:53 PM

20 posts, read 29,100 times
I can't offer much in the way of advice since I haven't actually relocated yet, but I did do a bunch of research first. I believe the cost of living between Myrtle Beach and Pittsburgh will be about the same. Something things are cheaper and some are more expensive, but it evens out to be pretty close the same overall.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:13 PM

PerpetualBeginner, thanks for the advice! Yoga and Pilates is my thing so that would definitely be something I'm interested in. I didn't figure being from up here would matter very much, since I was only 14 and kids that age think much differently. Plus I read a few forums where some people were relentlessly bashing on "Yankees" moving to their home town and "destroying it" so I was just checking to make sure that wasn't true

gas is still pretty expensive here ($2.76 as of today), so that would be a nice change for cheaper gas!

Sara.h, that's what I've seemed to find out online as well when looking at the cost of living in comparison, thanks!

Old 05-07-2015, 02:05 PM

how is the area of little river?

Old 05-07-2015, 06:13 PM

285 posts, read 639,140 times
Little River is very safe but yet close to the beach, restaurants, activities, etc. I currently live in North Myrtle Beach and I'd recommend that as well. Being from the north is absolutely no issue, there's probably more transplants from the north living here than home-grown Carolinians. Gas prices in Myrtle are well below the national average right now. Overall cost of living is good. Real estate is pretty active in the low- to mid- price ranges, but I think are stagnating in the 500k+ range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area