Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 07:44 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,358,016 times

Advertisements

So with all the racial tension this country has witnessed lately, I felt compelled to share something I saw while test driving a car (I'm an auto mechanic) the other day.

It was at the corner of 17 Bypass and Mr. Joe White Ave (by the Myrtle Waves water park). I was third in line to turn left. There was a white woman in a wheelchair waiting to cross the Bypass (good luck, huh?) Anyhow, the vehicle that was first in line was a van with two black guys in it. Well, the passenger got out of the van and proceeded to assist the woman across the busy street. After, he met his ride on the other side of 17 and they drove off. An act of pure class. Too bad the news crews weren't there to film that.

So, there is some hope in this crazy world. It made my day, and I'm sure it made hers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 08:47 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,732,660 times
Looks like somebody's Mom did a really good job, huh?
There is still plenty of good in this country- trouble is that too many people are bent of focusing on negatives. Thanks for sharing a positive moment....

Old 05-11-2015, 07:28 AM

161 posts, read 332,396 times
love this!

Old 05-11-2015, 05:15 PM

253 posts, read 472,151 times
What a great story - thank you so much for sharing. Gives us hope for this crazy world we are living in.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:33 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,051,201 times
Common Courtesy....color shouldn't even be a factor!

Old 05-13-2015, 01:16 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,857,155 times
Thanks for sharing. An odd thing about our racism; I won't say it's a one-way street, but so often it seems to flow much stronger in one direction than the other.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:26 AM

56 posts, read 61,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Thanks for sharing. An odd thing about our racism; I won't say it's a one-way street, but so often it seems to flow much stronger in one direction than the other.
Elaborate, please. Pm if necessary. Trying to get a feel for the area.....moving in 2 months there

Old 05-14-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Good point and I agree, sadly.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:58 AM

312 posts, read 735,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartburnkid View Post
Elaborate, please. Pm if necessary. Trying to get a feel for the area.....moving in 2 months there

You are moving to the south...think about it...........times haven't changed that much in the pass 100 years unfortunately......I work with some who think that slavery should be reinstated....and they even dislike us Yankees a great deal as well.......now I know you will get those on here to sugar coat everything but you still have those who were born and raised here who still have the old ways instilled in them....regardless of age.....

Old 05-14-2015, 01:22 PM

Having grown up in the south (South Carolina specifically), I agree with what you say. Thank goodness I had some type of "fairness" gene that allowed me to see early on that what I saw my family and friends do and say about blacks and other minorities was somehow just wrong. So not all of us from the Bible belt see the world the same black and white way.

However, I also would like to point out that racism is NOT exclusive to the south, as we have witnessed time and time again in recent months.

I personally think it's a stupid "human" thing that some folks from all around the country may suffer from. Living in Texas has opened my eyes to the blatant racism against Hispanics; my son lives in the northwest where Asians are victims of racism. Just seems some people have to "hate" someone or blame "others" for their own life's failings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveagrey1 View Post
You are moving to the south...think about it...........times haven't changed that much in the pass 100 years unfortunately......I work with some who think that slavery should be reinstated....and they even dislike us Yankees a great deal as well.......now I know you will get those on here to sugar coat everything but you still have those who were born and raised here who still have the old ways instilled in them....regardless of age.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area