Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:12 PM

518 posts, read 2,016,637 times

Advertisements

Which direction is development headed and which area/subdivision would you rather live and why? Is crime a factor here? It didn't seem to be when visiting......Is the area growing? It seemed to be very nice, but relatively underdeveloped. I was actually shocked at how tiny the airport was......Are there any expansions planned for the airport? Thanks a lot! Had a great visit there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 10:33 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,703,235 times
Development is headed in every direction. When were you there last? Crime is a factor but it usually is crime against tourists (pickpockets, thefts from hotel rooms, etc.) or people known to each other (drug deals gone bad, family violence, etc.). Traffic is always an issue and there are accidents daily so you have to be careful.

The airport has an expansion project planned and I think it involves moving the terminal to the opposite side of the runways. The old Air Force Base is being developed with a planned community with multi-use buildings - retail and housing, etc. The entire area west of the waterway on Route 501 is growing by leaps and bounds. This area (Carolina Forest) has many wonderful subdivisions. A Hard Rock Park (amusement park) is scheduled to open in April 2008.

More development is planned in the north going west/north on Route 9 toward Longs and Loris. Pawleys Island and Murrells Inlet are also growing to the south.

We visit there every year, sometimes twice a year, and are always amazed at the changes that have taken place since the last time.

Last edited by Dawne; 01-22-2008 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: add'l info

Old 01-22-2008, 06:27 PM

Post Thanks for posting........

We had never been there before, but went in December and we could still walk the beach and be outdoors which was heavenly...........Read a thread on this site about crime, but was hoping that it was just a neighborhood problem since we didn't feel any signs of being policed (iron bars on windows, etc....). However, we were in North Myrtle Beach for the most part except when we went for dinner in Murrells Inlet which was fabulous. I know it must be absolutely crazy during the summer but we really enjoyed it when we were there. Housing costs seemed low also even in neighborhoods NEAR a beach. Just getting info for a move south in a couple of years.........will return and also check out the Wilmington area, but I think it is going to be much pricier. Is there one area where crime is more prevalent and one needs to be more careful? Are there ever car jackings, evidence of gangs or crystal meth? Thanks again!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:43 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,974,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
We had never been there before, but went in December and we could still walk the beach and be outdoors which was heavenly...........Read a thread on this site about crime, but was hoping that it was just a neighborhood problem since we didn't feel any signs of being policed (iron bars on windows, etc....). However, we were in North Myrtle Beach for the most part except when we went for dinner in Murrells Inlet which was fabulous. I know it must be absolutely crazy during the summer but we really enjoyed it when we were there. Housing costs seemed low also even in neighborhoods NEAR a beach. Just getting info for a move south in a couple of years.........will return and also check out the Wilmington area, but I think it is going to be much pricier. Is there one area where crime is more prevalent and one needs to be more careful? Are there ever car jackings, evidence of gangs or crystal meth? Thanks again!
I lived in Carolina Forest for a while in Myrtle Beach and I never felt like crime was a factor. I'm sure you need to be careful when you are in a touristy area but for the most part I felt safe. I loved Myrtle Beach and wish we could have stayed but the money just wasn't there.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:21 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,885,415 times
Sorry you had to move Sheena, I was wondering where you had disappeared to! I know you really liked the area you were in & I know you are gonna miss the beach!

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:53 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,703,235 times
I've never felt unsafe anywhere in the greater Myrtle Beach area other than the seedier area along Ocean Drive where the Pavilion amusement park used to be. The park is gone now and the area seems to be better lit, but it's still a big "weird" there after dark.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:29 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,974,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Sorry you had to move Sheena, I was wondering where you had disappeared to! I know you really liked the area you were in & I know you are gonna miss the beach!

Best of luck to you.
I'm back in Phoenix and it's ok. I do miss the beach though

Old 01-24-2008, 10:31 PM

Default for Sheena

Here's something for you when you miss the sand between your toes:

Old 01-25-2008, 04:54 PM

Cool Where is that?

Was that pic taken around Murrells Inlet area or elsewhere? It is 10 degrees right now and we have had grey skies almost all week. That just looks simply amazing.............

Old 01-25-2008, 09:37 PM

I believe it is from Litchfield Beach... Ican't wait until Spring arrives! Actually, it's supposed to get up into the 60's by Tuesday!! Today was chilly, it hit 43 in Pawleys Island but it took all day to creep up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area