Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2019, 06:53 AM

7 posts, read 8,904 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are 50 and considering purchasing a house in the Jasmine Woods neighborhood. I am a professional that works remotely out of my house. I have to travel various times throughout the year and as such my wife will be home alone for periods of time.

We presently live in Massachusetts, but also lived in Florida for 12 years. I am asking if anyone can tell me if the Jasmine Woods neighborhood is decent and how is the crime in that area?

To state, Jasmine Woods neighborhood is off rt. 701, south side of center of Conway.

Appreciate your thoughts,

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 11:43 AM

790 posts, read 1,621,859 times
I don't live in that area but know people who live further down 701. We also considered Conway before settling on Forestbrook. I would be a little cautious with that area. If you pull up a crime map, you'll see that the areas leading up to Jasmine Woods are higher crime areas. Jasmine Woods looks pretty good, but I know that the area just north and west of Jasmine Woods (an area known as Racepath) is in the paper all the times for crimes.

I suggest that you drive though Jasmine Woods and stop and talk to any residents that you see out and about and ask them what they experience.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:50 PM

7 posts, read 8,904 times
Thank you CTyankee,

It is certainly difficult to obtain info for the area. I was hoping to receive some responses from people either in the neighborhood or in close vacinity. We did look at some houses near your area, but were concerned with traffic in tourist season.

i see your from Connecticut, how well did you adapt when you first relocatef?

Old 09-14-2019, 04:03 PM

790 posts, read 1,621,859 times
Our adjustment was not difficult because we are originally from WV and vacationed in MB many times (but moved here from CT). However, if you are a native of the northeast, it will require a big mindset change. Taxes here are low because many of the services that are "expected" in NE, are on an a-la-cart basis here. Recycling?...pay extra or take it to the recycling center yourself. Trash pickup?...pay for it (if it's not in your HOA dues or you're not in city limits) or take it to the dump yourself. Kids want to play recreational soccer?...pay extra. Etc. I, personally, like this arrangement because if I don't want a service, I'm not paying for it in taxes.

Another adjustment is that SC is a very red state politically. Most people moving from NE (but not all) are deep blue. So, it takes an adjustment to understand that the blues are not going to win very many elections. It's also very traditional...good ole' boy networks and the locals don't take kindly to new people telling them "well, that's not how we did it in XXXX (name your state)." Remember, you're moving into a "native's" county, state and we need to be sensitive to their way of doing things. That's not to say some things shouldn't change, but people need to be convinced...not hit over the head.

And lastly, the thing everyone should remember when they move here...wanting to change things to be the way they were in the state/city that you moved from will result in the same thing that made you move south to begin with....higher taxes.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:33 AM

96 posts, read 82,422 times
I agree with your last statement. People move to the stix to be away from the crowds, but then b@tch there are no stores nearby. Um, you knew that when you moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area