Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 07:38 AM

12,891 posts, read 18,744,346 times

Advertisements

What about Ocean Boulevard and that general area as the urban center of MB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2022, 09:21 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I needed to start visiting there regularly for the past couple of years now. Some individuals moved there. I haven't seen any evidence of high crime or homelessness. Not even in the slightest. I'm mostly in the Market Common-Surfside-Garden City-Murrells areas.
I follow a MB FB page, and a lot of tourists, in particular (that's who mostly posts there) have been complaining about crime, disorderly conduct, pandering, and homelessness in the central MB area (near the boardwalk, pier, etc.). I suppose you can live far north or far south of town, but then you'd have access to even fewer "city" amenities. It's the distance from the nearest actual urban area (I assume that's Charleston at two hours away) that would deter me as a still young and active retiree. Maybe later when I'm older and slower.

Old 08-12-2022, 09:59 AM

6,881 posts, read 3,732,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I follow a MB FB page, and a lot of tourists, in particular (that's who mostly posts there) have been complaining about crime, disorderly conduct, pandering, and homelessness in the central MB area (near the boardwalk, pier, etc.). I suppose you can live far north or far south of town, but then you'd have access to even fewer "city" amenities. It's the distance from the nearest actual urban area (I assume that's Charleston at two hours away) that would deter me as a still young and active retiree. Maybe later when I'm older and slower.
Ocean Blvd with the high rises is a tourist area for tourists, not an urban center with amenities in the traditional sense.
Charleston would be better suited for that, yes, but that will cost you. Charleston isn't cheap any more.

Old 08-18-2022, 06:09 PM

11 posts, read 24,812 times
Since this thread is about "lifestyle", I won't feel like I'm out of line if I jump in. After vacationing many times in MB, mostly for bike weeks over the past 20 years, I'm seriously considering early retirement and moving to the area in a few years. Not in the tourist area, but maybe south of 501 with access to 17 or 31. Still need to investigate different areas. A couple of the big reasons for moving to the area are lower cost of living (property taxes primarily) and the weather. I check it so often on my phone and so many hot days here in the NE its cooler there! I'm looking for a much longer motorcycling season (year round?) and convertible top down season. I'll be attending local cruise nights (cars or bikes) and maybe join a club. We will try to be in a community with a pool and a gym, but I'm looking for a larger property to build Garage Mahal 2.0 for the toys, so that may keep us out of a community and I'll need to put in our own pool. But if we were in a community with activities that would be great. Farmers markets, farm stands, riding inland to the country (is that a thing?), local breweries, local bands, maybe become a regular at SBB. An hours ride for a gun range is a little tough, but if that is the nearest than so be it. I may finally join a billiard league if there is one around. Or maybe find a local pub with a good table and good kitchen and become Norm. The beach will depend on our location and the convenience, likewise some of the other touristy areas. We liked the Murrells Inlet area for restaurants on the water, and checked out a few places up by the big hotels that seemed like places to hit once in a while, even if the touristy places. Of course need to find the local spots as well, avoid the tourist prices and get better food/service. I figure we can eat out every Friday night for the rest of our lives and never hit the same place twice. After working long hard hours in a very stressful job for 30 years I'll be looking to slow down a little and do the things that I don't have time to do now.

Old 08-21-2022, 01:26 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,417,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxnj View Post
Since this thread is about "lifestyle", I won't feel like I'm out of line if I jump in. After vacationing many times in MB, mostly for bike weeks over the past 20 years, I'm seriously considering early retirement and moving to the area in a few years. Not in the tourist area, but maybe south of 501 with access to 17 or 31. Still need to investigate different areas. A couple of the big reasons for moving to the area are lower cost of living (property taxes primarily) and the weather. I check it so often on my phone and so many hot days here in the NE its cooler there! I'm looking for a much longer motorcycling season (year round?) and convertible top down season. I'll be attending local cruise nights (cars or bikes) and maybe join a club. We will try to be in a community with a pool and a gym, but I'm looking for a larger property to build Garage Mahal 2.0 for the toys, so that may keep us out of a community and I'll need to put in our own pool. But if we were in a community with activities that would be great. Farmers markets, farm stands, riding inland to the country (is that a thing?), local breweries, local bands, maybe become a regular at SBB. An hours ride for a gun range is a little tough, but if that is the nearest than so be it. I may finally join a billiard league if there is one around. Or maybe find a local pub with a good table and good kitchen and become Norm. The beach will depend on our location and the convenience, likewise some of the other touristy areas. We liked the Murrells Inlet area for restaurants on the water, and checked out a few places up by the big hotels that seemed like places to hit once in a while, even if the touristy places. Of course need to find the local spots as well, avoid the tourist prices and get better food/service. I figure we can eat out every Friday night for the rest of our lives and never hit the same place twice. After working long hard hours in a very stressful job for 30 years I'll be looking to slow down a little and do the things that I don't have time to do now.
Great plan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area