Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 01:30 PM

5 posts, read 22,286 times

Advertisements

My brother called me from Myrtle Beach and said people were standing in line when they shut down the park. He said it went into bankruptcy. What happened to it? It just opened this spring. He said that the economy there was doing very bad. Homes were not moving very well and he even said that the Illegal’s have disappeared because of no work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 02:14 PM

620 posts, read 1,950,575 times
I am not sure about the bankruptcy thing, but I just saw on a news website due to the storm that it is closed until Sunday. It was on SC NOW. There are voluntary evacuations in the area.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:23 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBush View Post
My brother called me from Myrtle Beach and said people were standing in line when they shut down the park. He said it went into bankruptcy. What happened to it? It just opened this spring. He said that the economy there was doing very bad. Homes were not moving very well and he even said that the Illegal’s have disappeared because of no work.
Ever heard of a hurricane? Guess not.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:57 PM

OK smartass, He said that they shut it down becasue of bankrupcy. If he was wrong so be it. you do not contribute to the topic by being an idiot.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:02 PM

I did a bit of research and came across this;As a Myrtle Beach resident, I can honestly say that the park is in real financial trouble. A good friend of mine's husband was just laid off from HRP along with approx. 200 other people in a variety of different positions. While the park is beautiful and certaintly unique, they desperately need to either add more rides and/or greatly lower the ticket price. While their prices are in line (expensive) with most other theme parks in the country for food, parking, merchandise, entrance fee, etc.; the problem is they don't even come close to offering enough entertainment to justify the ticket price. The only real way to maximize your value is to go on a day that a good band(hopefully) is playing in the evening and look at it as a two for one deal. The problem is it is really difficult, if not impossible, to spend more than a few hours much less an entire day at the park due to the serious shortage of rides and entertainment. The only ride anyone in my opinion would want to possibly ride more than once is the Led Zepplin roller coaster. The other handful, and I mean handful, of rides are pretty disappointing in comparison to most of today's modern theme park rides. I love the rock n' roll (and other types of music) concept but unfortunately it leaves a lot to be desired when applied to the attractions offered at the HRP. As a MB resident, I really want this park to succeed as our nearest alternative (Paramount's Carowinds in Charlotte, NC) is approx. 4 hours away but until they either add more rides or lower the price to get in, this family will continue (unfortunately) making the long trip to Charlotte. I hope the season pass holders are at least entitled to a partial refund!!! Good luck on that one.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:08 PM

207 posts, read 1,003,610 times
McBush-

There have been several posts about the HR Park (one titled "Hard Rock Park off to a rocky start") if you want to look back at the MB forum history. There have been newspaper articles stating that the park is in a tight financial position and the info. you copied into your post is correct- they did lay off a good number of employees. I've been to the park and you can read my reviews in the other forums. I do not think they'll be throwing in the towel anytime too soon since they spent so much on the park...and it would have definitely been publicized if they had already shut down for good. I'm going to assume it was because of the hurricane. Odd that they would do it while people were standing in line (since none of the storm has hit us yet) but probably not because of financial difficulties.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:12 PM

Here is another.MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Hard Rock Park officials won't talk about how many people walk through their gates every day, but it's clear not as many people are buying tickets as they originally hoped.WMBF News learned Thursday night 29 Hard Rock Park executives have been laid off.In a July 2006 press release, still available on the park's website, developers said they "expected to entertain as many as 30,000 guests per day."South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford is quoted as calling the $400 million construction of the park "the largest single investment in tourism infrastructure in our history."However, by the time the park opened on May 9, gasoline prices were skyrocketing and Americans were worrying about a recession. Many people who live in Myrtle Beach year-round also complained about the cost of tickets, which is $50 for an adult.At the time of the groundbreaking, CEO Steven Goodwin was predicting a "revolution" in the theme park industry.Now, many see these layoffs as a sign the revolution's in trouble.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:17 PM

Thanks ah. Maybe my brother jumped to a conclusion. He said he heard from people who worked there. I guess time will tell. I will question him a bit more when he calls again. Where I was from in north Michigan they were going to build a theme park for arouind 125 million. I knew if they did it would be a huge boondoggle. The lenders backed out. Things are tight and going to get worse. Fun is the first place that has to be cut when things get tight.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:21 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,879,762 times
Here is the article from The Sun News -

Hard Rock Park shuts for Hanna
Hard Rock Park will close for the weekend as a precaution as Tropical Storm Hanna heads toward the Grand Strand, the park announced today.

The park will be securing electronics, storing furniture and ride cars to protect them against wind and rain, the park said. The preparations will take 36 hours.

The roller coasters, amphitheater and other buildings are built to withstand wind of up to 130 miles per hour, the park said.

It will take another 36 hours after the storm passes to perform safety checks and get everything running. The park's posted hours this September and October are 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday through Sunday.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:39 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
McBush... here's the link to the last thread on the HRP. BTW, my family enjoyed the park & spent about 10 hours ( and alot of money!) there. I would recommend it on the locals discount, even if it is only a one time experience.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/myrtl...y-start-2.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area