Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 12:16 PM

38 posts, read 153,423 times

Advertisements

I recently returned from a trip visiting family in North Myrtle Beach. My husband and I looked at homes for sale in Pawleys Island. We fell n love - so beautiful and seemingly pristine. While with our realtor, I noticed a smell identical to one I experienced while living in Savannah, Georgia. I asked the realtor and he confirmed that it was the paper mill. I did some research on the paper mill, 3V inc. and other industry in Georgetown and now I'm completely turned off. These companies are polluting the marshes, waterways, and the air with cancer causing pollutants and chemicals. Its just so sad that somewhere so beautiful could be mishandled so wrecklessly. The industry is in Georgetown, but its only a few miles away. Someone please tell me I'm wrong about this. The worst part is that no one seems to care. Why isn't anyone fighting for tighter regulations?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 11:10 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,863 times
I don't think it is as bad as you think. Every once in a while we do get a whiff from the paper mill, it is pretty infrequent... it all depends on the wind. And sometimes the salt marshes send off a similar smell and folks mistake them. I suggest you subscribe to the local newspaper, The Coastal Observer, and you will see that there is a heavy environmental influence whenever there is proposed development. There are many regulations for water runoff and conservation. All you have to do is take a kayak ride through the creeks to see that the wildlife is thriving, although it is always a delicate balance. I am amazed at how much land is strictly dedicated to wildlife conservation.

There is a local named Jimmy Chandler who is very active in the conservation, here is one of his projects: The South Carolina Environmental Law Project - Posts

Ducks Unlimited is also very popular down here.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:59 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
One day they're going to shut down that paper mill, and Georgetown is really going to boom.

But do y'all not have air and water pollution in New Jersey?

Old 12-04-2008, 04:53 PM

38 posts, read 153,423 times
Rubber factory - you are funny. Yes there is pollution here, thats the main reason why I want out. Being in such an industialized part of the country you expect the air to be polluted, I don't expect Pawleys to be.

Bay Lovers - I went to this site Scorecard Home and punched in pawleys zip code and found this info. The paper, 3v and some other are dumping tons of chemicals into the air and water according to this site. I can't believe that it wouldn't be true. Thanks for the info regarding Jimmy Chandler. I sent him an email, maybe he can put my mind at ease.

By the way, when I typed in my zip code in NJ on the scorecard site, the pollution was on the same level as Pawleys. Scary.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:06 PM

91 posts, read 378,526 times
Default Pawleys and the environment

Like with most things, its not a simple situation. The tideland and lowcountry is a complex place. If anyone wants to learn more about this unique environment here are a few sources.

The Nature Conservancy - Places We Protect
The Nature Conservancy -Landscape-Scale Projects
Coastal Conservation League (http://coastalconservationleague.org/NETCOMMUNITY/Page.aspx?pid=183&srcid=218 - broken link)
ArcelorMittal reaches environmental goal » The Georgetown Times / Georgetown County, SC Community News Paper
Baruch Marine Lab University of South Carolina (http://www.northinlet.sc.edu/research/current_conditions.htm - broken link)
Hobcaw Barony Georgetown (http://www.northinlet.sc.edu/research/current_conditions.htm - broken link)
Hobcaw Barony
Natural Resources
Lowcountry Companion, a Nature-based Guide to Georgetown County on Elowcountry.com
Discover South Carolina - Birding in South Carolina (http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com/outdoor-activities/birding.aspx - broken link)
Discover South Carolina - Outdoor Activities in South Carolina
South Carolina Department of CNPA - Carolinas Nature Photographers Association

The worlds largest kraft paper mill is in the middle of all this, along with a steel mill. Both of these are major employers in a poor county in a poor state.
As for the odor, most people rarely notice it. It is not a continuous emission and when it is emitted it depends on humidity and other conditions. Pawleys and the Waccamaw Neck could not have become attractive residential areas if it was noticeable and offensive.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:24 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,863 times
Great info Coasters!

Della Terra, thank you for the ScoreCard site, but I just cannot believe that when I compared Pawleys Island (29585) to Lower Manhattan (10038) & my old LI neighborhood (11561) that they have the NY locations as better. This must be a very narrow view towards certain pollution.

Rubber factory, I don't see the paper mill closing anytime soon, it's just too big & employs so many people.... however, the steel mill is another story. They just laid off a significant number of people. To be honest, the steel mill is really an eyesore for the City of Georgetown, particularly being right on Hwy 17 and along the waterfront.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Rubber factory, I don't see the paper mill closing anytime soon, it's just too big & employs so many people.... however, the steel mill is another story. They just laid off a significant number of people. To be honest, the steel mill is really an eyesore for the City of Georgetown, particularly being right on Hwy 17 and along the waterfront.
Yeah, I'm not saying it will either. I decided when I was about 5 or 6 years old that this paper mill needed to go.

It appears the paper mill is winning. However, I hope 40 years from now, there will be no paper mill so I can retire and move to Georgetown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area