Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 05:25 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,546,327 times

Advertisements

I haven't been down to that area of SC for 30 years. However I have a chance to buy something there in the next few months to a couple of years, up to me.

I may buy now and just go down on weekends etc, or wait until I fully retire.

Seeings as I haven't made it down to that fair part of our state, I'm sure it's changed a little if not somewhat.

Wondered, accessible shopping nearby? I don't need a big fancy mall, closest hospital with decent care? That's I guess about all I require at this point. May drive down in a few weeks, but wanted some info so I'm either not shocked (it's booming) like so much of our state is turning into.

Thanks for any tips, pointers, and general information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 05:58 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times
Darlin', if you haven't been down here in 30 years, you might wanna be sittin' down when you see it now. In fact, I might consider just hangin' on to the good memories and not screw 'em up by coming back.

"Murrells Inlet" has now expanded far out route 707, so there are a lot of different Murrells Inlets. If you're talking about the area down near the water, the old fishing village has been replaced by a reasonably well done restaurant/tourist area, and much of the land has gone to condos and single home lots measured in sq feet rather than portions of an acre. Like everywhere else down here, Murrells Inlet has become a tourist destination.

Waccamaw Hospital was opened in Murrells Inlet several years ago as a division of Georgetown Hospital system. It's modern and seems to be well staffed. Inlet Square Mall, or what's left of it, is still located in Murrells Inlet, and there's a modern shopping center with groceries, fast food, etc. Serious shoppers still head to Myrtle Beach.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:44 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,546,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Darlin', if you haven't been down here in 30 years, you might wanna be sittin' down when you see it now. In fact, I might consider just hangin' on to the good memories and not screw 'em up by coming back.

"Murrells Inlet" has now expanded far out route 707, so there are a lot of different Murrells Inlets. If you're talking about the area down near the water, the old fishing village has been replaced by a reasonably well done restaurant/tourist area, and much of the land has gone to condos and single home lots measured in sq feet rather than portions of an acre. Like everywhere else down here, Murrells Inlet has become a tourist destination.

Waccamaw Hospital was opened in Murrells Inlet several years ago as a division of Georgetown Hospital system. It's modern and seems to be well staffed. Inlet Square Mall, or what's left of it, is still located in Murrells Inlet, and there's a modern shopping center with groceries, fast food, etc. Serious shoppers still head to Myrtle Beach.
this made me laugh (the sittin down part)

...I live by Tega Cay (remember when all that was here was Jim and Tammy Bakker and the PTL club? and farms) You ought to see it now. Can't tell where Charlotte NC stops and we start.

I know what's happening around the SE, just didn't know how much the Grand Strand stuff filtered into Murrells Inlet.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:26 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times
Quote:
just didn't know how much the Grand Strand stuff filtered into Murrells Inlet...
The Grand Strand is a giant mutant blob, silently consuming the entire region. When you make a visit, I'm sure all of us would luv to hear your thoughts on what 30 years of changes have brought to the area, good or bad.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:31 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
When you make a visit, I'm sure all of us would luv to hear your thoughts on what 30 years of changes have brought to the area, good or bad.
Yes, I would like to hear your take on it, too. Maybe someone can take a video camera? I'd like to see your face while driving through the area. Just kidding, lol.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
I wasn't alive 30 years ago, and Murrells Inlet has changed a good bit since I was a kid.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:08 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
But, I still find the little area of Murrells Inlet by the Marsh quite charming.......
I love that there is STILL no paved parking lots...YES, it is still sand.
That it is quiet and interesting.......( not at bike weeks however...forget that!)
The main condo and home building has gone on out at 707........I am so happy that the
last builder I talked with left the trees up, for gosh sakes. One other area we drove in took everything down, not one little sprig left. I was so upset with that....I did not stop in that model home.
I think you would probably still love Murrells Inlet. It is a relaxing place....there is something about it.
I adore the new Coastal Grand Mall. It is full of light, and a wonderful place to go when the days are grey and cold.
Your closest shopping in Murrells would be the Inlet Mall area.......The smaller Mall which has taken a hit with the new "grand" moving further north.
All in all, the southern area of Myrtle Beach is still my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area