Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:22 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,836,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muonic View Post
...And, we always went to a particular seafood restaurant in Murrells Inlet...
As fine a beach bucket list as any young lad of the 60's could ever wish for.

Just a guess, but that sounds like maybe Oliver's Lodge, one of the first restaurants in MI, located beside Belin Church. If I recall the story correctly, they originally began by cooking "to-go" orders in their home for the military personnel stationed there, then eventually started serving meals on their back porch. The rest, as they say, was history. It closed briefly around 2005(?) then re-opened with new owners who totally refurbished the place. It has since closed again. There are some pics floating around the web, but all I could find were post-renovation, which looks nothing like the old place. Another guess might be Wayside, which was around forever, but I don't think an old house. Hot Fish Club is located there now. A bunch of other old restaurants have come and gone. Still, nice memories...

Like an appreciation for wine, Brookgreen Gardens gets better with age. I can remember being dragged there every year and couldn't wait to get it over with. We now have annual memberships, and I love to go there and just wander around for hours. Like everything else down here, it's changed - some for the better and some for the worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 PM

460 posts, read 989,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Just a guess, but that sounds like maybe Oliver's Lodge, one of the first restaurants in MI, located beside Belin Church.
By gosh, I think that's it! The pictures I found on the web sure look look like it, and the name sounds familiar, too.

As a kid, I felt the same way about Brookgreen Gardens. It seemed like a wasted vacation day, to me. I much rather would have been on the beach. But I remember how important it was to my mother, too. Now, I would love to go back for a visit.

I guess I'm becoming a little sentimental as time passes on, because I really would like to get back to that part of the country for a stroll down memory lane. There are also a number of places around Georgetown and McClellanville, I have never been to, but would like to visit......family history, and all that.

It's funny, I think I'm the only one in my family who has never actually lived in South Carolina.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:03 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,895,801 times
I just read an article about Oliver's Lodge and, for the life of me, could not remember where I had heard the name (because I never went there, nor did I even know where it was). I decided to come here and do a search to see if maybe I saw it on CD and here it is. Thank goodness! That would have drove me crazy all night.

The article is a few days old.

Former employees recall history of Oliver's Lodge in Murrells Inlet | Georgetown, South Carolina | Georgetown Times

I was so fascinated by the place after reading the article I googled it and stumbled across this blog with many pics of Oliver's Lodge. I thought they were neat until I read (or reread) PD's post. He mentions it was recently renovated and although the inside looks beautiful, the outside looks more than just unkempt.

Oliver's Lodge, 4204 Highway 17 Business Murrells Inlet: Winter 2009 at Columbia Closings

Old 07-18-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
I just read an article about Oliver's Lodge and, for the life of me, could not remember where I had heard the name...
Neat find, neecie! We only ate there once or twice after the renovations. We weren't impressed with the food from the new owners, but they really dressed the place up, inside and out. They must have spent a ton of $$$. Initially, the outside looked very nice, compared to the "old place". From the pics, it looks like it's heading downhill fast. The old Oliver's Lodge served food as good as any place you'd find around here, but you definitely could not judge this book by its cover. I can't find any photos of the old place, but as I recall, as long as I can remember it was always old, dark, dilapidated lapboard siding with a rickety old porch. The magic was in the kitchen. Seems like when the new owners decided to take it uptown, they lost track of why folks came there in droves.

PS - C-D won't let me hug you, but thanks for sharing, I thoroughly enjoyed the article.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:28 PM

460 posts, read 989,513 times
That is a nice story, neecewh. Thanks for sharing! I remember the food as being great, but of course, that was at least 40 years ago. I also remember eating in the screened in porch area, the joggling board, and the crowds.

Good memories!

Edit: I tried, but CD wouldn't let me spread the love, either.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:52 PM

Default The "Old" Oliver's Lodge

Quote:
I just read an article about Oliver's Lodge...
It's not a good photo, but here's a link to an old Oliver's Lodge Postcard. (Scroll down the page to see the photo).

The photo is not exactly as I remember the place, but my memory ain't what it used to be (never was) and I suspect this photo dates waaayyyyy back. Still, before the recent renovations, Oliver's Lodge was definitely "rustic". It was the "old beach" in every sense of the word, where marketing was done by serving good food at a good price, every time. The good old days....

Old 07-19-2011, 04:55 PM

That is awesome PD! I sure do hope someone brings it back, well maybe not that far back. I did a search and was surprised to see that the property is not for sale. Its closed, the article said the owners fell on hard times, yet it isn't for sale (at least not that I could find). I sure would like to get my hands on it, which explains the lottery ticket I just bought.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
...I sure would like to get my hands on it, which explains the lottery ticket I just bought.
LOL! Good luck with the lottery ticket, I'm pullin' for you. If you'll serve bbq there, I'll eat with ya'.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
LOL! Good luck with the lottery ticket, I'm pullin' for you. If you'll serve bbq there, I'll eat with ya'.
No luck last night, but I have one more for tonight. That is my limit. I have always said that the lottery is for those who can't do math, that is why I play (played ) poker.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:21 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,141,190 times
Quote:
For those familiar with Pawleys Island...

A friend was cleaning out an old office over the weekend and came across an old, undated photo of Pawleys Island. He's clueless as to its origin. It may have been copyrighted at the time, but this copy appears to be a re-print with no copyright mark or developer info on the back.

It's an aerial shot that appears to have been taken at the time the condos at the pier were under construction. For the shaggers in the crowd, the old Pavillion is partially visible on the left border of the photo. Based on this, the photo is probably from the late 60's. It's a shame the photographer did not concentrate on the Pavillion, since there are very few photos still available of that landmark. Kinda neat...
Wow that brings back memories! Thanks for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area