Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 8,355 times

Advertisements

Is it dangerous to do your own garden in GGE, Naples, FL because of many snakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 10:56 PM

100 posts, read 302,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda34 View Post
Is it dangerous to do your own garden in GGE, Naples, FL because of many snakes?
I stepped on a snake a few days ago while out weed whacking He just looked at me like, "Jerk" and didn't move. Luckily he was a nice black snake.

It was a good lesson as I just moved to GGE. The snakes, fire ants, scorpions, and spiders are here. You have to be more cognizant of that. But dangerous? I don't feel in danger.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYogi View Post
I stepped on a snake a few days ago while out weed whacking He just looked at me like, "Jerk" and didn't move. Luckily he was a nice black snake.

I love that. The black racer snakes are pretty smart. He probably was thinking, "I know the big lug didn't mean it. After all, I'm the one that's keeping away the bugs and pests. We're in this together."

Quote:
It was a good lesson as I just moved to GGE. The snakes, fire ants, scorpions, and spiders are here. You have to be more cognizant of that. But dangerous? I don't feel in danger.
I HATE snakes. Having said that, I haven't seen many snakes in Florida. A water moccasin and I almost ran into each other one time, and we both jumped then ran the other way.

Now fire ants are another story. I never got use to them. Hated them. But most people are good at avoiding them. For some reason, I wasn't.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 15,127 times
Thinking of moving to GGE in the areas close to Palmetto Ridge High School. I have seen the many comments in the last few years on this blog. I'm wondering about the current state of the area as far as criminal activity (theft, murder, drugs, etc.), safety when dealing with wild life, schools, regulations, taxes, etc.

I have often visited and spent weekends there at a relative's vacation home, but am wondering how everyday life would be there. It is beautiful and peaceful, but I am seeing these posts and wondering. I also heard the story of the kid that stabbed the other kid.

I currently live in Kendall, Miami-Dade. I want peace and privacy, but no problems in regard to the way of life.

Anyone can give me up to date feedback on GGE? Is the NE section near Palmetto Ridge High School a good place? I know that it's kind of near Ave Maria. What about the SE section? I have seen some parts of the SW section and may be mistaking the parts with another area that isn't GGE because that section seems pretty crappy West of Collier Boulevard. Same thing with the NW part of that too, but have heard some good things about Gulf Coast High School, even though I know that is toward the NW section.

Please provide feedback. Anyone?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:55 PM

85 posts, read 177,041 times
I've lived in GGE off White Blvd for over nineteen years with no regrets. My kids are long gone which is why I live here almost in the country o 2 1/2 acres. Last year I spent several days with an ex Air Force buddy looking for his future home. He eliminated everything east of Wilson as being too far out. Same with north of Immokalee. He eventually bought a home near me and has been very happy with the area.

About the noisiest it gets here is when CMCD is spraying for mosquitoes. Never had a fire near me.

You may be confusing Golden Gate City with GGE. I wouldn't live south of Pine Ridge and west of Collier.

Seems to be a fair amount of decent deals still available. Taxes are reasonable IMO.

Outside of an incredibly incompetent building permit system that seems to support some crooked contractors, everything else is suitable.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:08 PM

100 posts, read 302,666 times
We absolutely love it here and feel completely safe. Our neighbors look out for us and vice versa.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 15,127 times
Thank you for the feedback.

Worldkiss,
I have noticed what you mean about south of Pine Ridge and west of Collier. I certainly have no intention of moving to those areas. I have a teenager and have to be responsible in my choice of location and the potential school is a major factor. That's why I'm looking to move toward the area near Palmetto Ridge High School, especially since they are building up the Ave Maria section.

While I tend to be more of a Liberal thinker, I do find the vision and intention of the Ave Maria development as a major plus as a surrounding area. I certainly would enjoy living in a community that has a level of Conservative and "traditional" influence. I certainly am impressed with the effort to keep out certain industries from entering the area. I'm hoping that it promotes a strong presence of law enforcement keeping the area in order.

The quiet of the night in GGE is tremendously enjoyable for a person like myself that always deals with the metropolitan sounds of night in Miami. The GGE smells of the morning, the sunset on the beach, the wilderness are all intoxicating. The very kind people, the privacy, and the peace are Utopian to me.

If crooked contractors are all that I need to be worried about, then that's a huge upgrade from where I currently reside. I live in a very nice part of Miami (Kendall) and it still has alot more crime activity than what even the most extreme descriptions on this blog have illustrated. I just want to make sure that I'm not just changing to a place that isn't that much different, but it seems that GGE is far more safe than Kendall.

A couple of more questions. 1) Is hunting of certain wild life permitted (deer, rabbit, boar)? and 2) Is it safe to be outdoors when they spray for mosquitoes?

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:53 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
You will be fine in any part of GGE, especially coming from Miami. Do not confuse GGE with GG City. The N/S/E/W divider is Golden Gate Blvd. and Wilson Blvd. All of GG City is SW, but there are parts of GGE that are SW also. If the house number is 16XX (four digits) or higher OR the street number is 40 or higher AND SW then it is in GG City.

Do not confuse GGE with Ave Maria. AM development has slowed to a near stop compared to the frenzied pace during the boom economy. AM is conrolled by a different set of rules than GGE. Do not assume the AM "values" will spillover into GGE.

Now for some reality:

There is a downside here, too. The isolation brings some crime, namely home burglaries, chop shops, and grow houses. I would not let that stop me from moving here. Keep in mind that it is not a total utopia that many people want it to be.

The other point is commute issues. They can be brutal, especially in the wintertime.

I don't think hunting is permitted but I don't know for sure. They spray at 3AM or so and I would not worry about it if you are outside.

Where/what part of town will you be working? There is limited access to GGE so I would seriously consider commute issues and which road(s) you will need to use.

Last edited by RMD3819; 12-15-2011 at 07:03 AM..

Old 12-15-2011, 07:48 AM

85 posts, read 177,041 times
I think meeting your neighbors is the best advise I could give about living most anywhere. It's been several years since I've heard of a chop shop or grow house being busted in my area. There was a burglary last Summer a quarter mile from me but I did not know the people at that time. You can check recent crime here Collier County : Sheriff's Office by clicking the lower left menu and scrolling around the area.

Not sure about hunting. I've not seen a deer here in probably ten years and never a bear or boar. A couple of rabbits, squirrels, raccoon's, birds and one fox is all the wildlife that passes my yard.

As RMD said, aerial spraying by fixed wing is around 3:00AM. However, if done by helicopter it's around 7:00AM. You can check the schedule here Google Tonight's Spray Area

Old 12-26-2011, 10:08 AM

388 posts, read 1,126,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda34 View Post

Watch out for pythons. They are invasive and increasing in numbers.

There will be stories of people being eaten before long.

Giant Burmese Python Caught In Palmetto Bay Pool (WATCH)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples