Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 6,569 times

Advertisements

My family and I are seriously considering a move to Naples or surrounding area, but we don’t know much about the area. Of course the schools are extremely important to us as we have kids 10, 12 and 15. Sports programs are also important, our kids play travel hockey, travel soccer and high school football/baseball. Any help, ideas or advice would be appreciated. We were looking the JAX area a while back, but we decided to move south…
Thank you!

Last edited by IdontknowJAX; 04-07-2011 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 10:10 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,792,622 times
We need more information.....

Housing budget?
Where will you be working? Need to factor commute issues into housing selection.

Where are you moving from?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:45 AM

We plan on renting for a while to get to know the area. As far as working, I sell real estate and can choose an office to work at based on the location of a "good" community. Thanks!

Old 04-07-2011, 11:55 AM
npz

208 posts, read 323,792 times
Renting is a great idea to work out which area suits you and your family best. RMD3819 is right though, your budget will play a part in recommendations of different areas. What are you looking to spend?

Also, what kind of home do you want? Single family? Gated community?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:15 PM

It's difficult to give advice based on such limited information. Naples has many areas, most of which are safe but you need to narrow it down.

npz is right on about renting and his/her other questions.

If your primary criteria is schools then fine but you still need to narrow it down.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:21 PM

Eventually we plan on spending around 300,000-400,000 on housing...we're not opposed to gated communities. Thanks!

Old 04-07-2011, 12:31 PM

Well you have a lot of options with that budget. Prices are generally cheapest in the east and increase as you get closer to the beach. A broad rule of thumb is to stay east of 41 because of your budget. Additionally, housing west of 41 tends to have large concentrations of snowbirds and retirees.

I don't know enough about the high schools and their activities to comment. Maybe the collier schools website can help. The high schools are Barron, Lely, Naples, and Gulf Coast.

If you post areas/streets/communities we can give the pros/cons of the area.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:21 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,854 times
Just a quick word of caution, make sure your family, with children of 10, 12 and 15, will be comfortable in a gated community before you actually buy in one. Some can have more rules that jail!! Take it from me, I live in one and wouldn't do it again and I'm in my 60s! We literally, can't put a flower pot on our front porch without getting the Board's approval of the size and color of the pot (they frown on color and prefer beige or brown!) and the type of flower. Getting that approval means submitting a two page form that you must fill out after you've gotten it from them, taking a picture of both the pot and flower to go with the submission, and then waiting for them to have their meeting to approve or deny such things by the residents and then waiting for them to let you know by mail. Kind of stymies the impulse to buy a plant you take a fancy to when you're in Home Depot some afternoon---to say the least! And, this is NOT an over 55 community!!! You can only imagine the rules there are for children!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 AM

Thanks Judi, that's good information to know..!

Old 06-11-2011, 09:42 AM

17 posts, read 37,510 times
Default Moving to Naples (also a party of five :)

We in are in a similar situation to "IdontknowJAX" - 3 kids and my husband got a job in Naples. Our housing budget is similar - we would like to be around $300,000, would spend a tiny bit more if the area/house was perfect. We currently live in Arizona and are in an HOA community and are very torn about it - the rules vs the benefits. Our community has very beautiful amenities and I think that if we can find one with a lot to offer, my husband would be able to tolerate all the rules Right now we have a waterpark for the kids (and ours are 7, 6 and 2 and a half so that's a big deal for them) and tons of parks, a kids club etc. Are there subdivisions like that anywhere near Naples? I don't want to be in Golden Gate. I don't mind being inland somewhat as I prefer newer homes and our budget won't allow anything but a tear down near the beach! His office will be around the 4500 block of N Tamiami Trail and commute is an issue - neither of us want him spending his whole life in the car. 20 mins is a reasonable commute...but we'd go a few minutes longer to get everything else we are looking for.

We realize it's all a trade off...might have to pay a bit more if we are closer to his office/the beach or take a smaller/older home. Or get a great deal but have a longer commute. With that in mind, here is our wish list:

Great schools
Safe neighborhood (I like to jog too...don't want to be afraid of that)
4 bedroom minimum (that's not negotiable)
Lots of amenties if it's an HOA
Reasonable commute
In the $300,000 range

Those things are really key, - things we need. Things that would be super nice but just bonuses are:
Newer houses
within 2 or 3 miles to the beach...would love to jog there
My daughter has taken a liking to figure skating so if there was a rink close by that would be a treat. (but she's six...so next month she might hate figure skating
Close to fun activities for the kids...indoor as well as outdoor
A community with lots of activities - right now we have things like outdoor movies at the lake etc. - great when you have 3 young children.

I hope I have given enough information to go on We have heard that North Naples is the place to be, and someone recently mentioned Bonita Springs as well but we really haven't checked that out too much.

Thanks for all your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples