Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:11 PM

162 posts, read 302,321 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

How difficult or easy is it for a developer that in control of a community to get a (large) tract of land classified as conservation to be reclassified as buildable land? My community has a huge tract of land behind it that is owned by the HOA and classified as conservation. My concern is that because the Developer and Land Owner are still in charge, they could do some fancy paperwork...and voila now, I have neighbors across the back yard where I thought I'd have forest forever.

Anyone dealt with this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 04:36 AM

331 posts, read 453,547 times
A lot depends on the agreement signed with the county during the permitting stage. I've read where several communities in your described situation requested the same and were shot down from further development of this conservation land others allowed to build. Many of these contracts were written beyond ten years ago. Personally, I believe to many deals were made years ago and much of the AG land here has been designated as housing.

There should be some documents available somewhere that details the layout and construction permits at least at the county level to view.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:11 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Just curious - which community?

Old 09-29-2015, 05:30 AM

113 posts, read 286,739 times
Thanks everyone for the additional input. I think everyone seems to have the overall same idea of Naples with a few different experiences here and there. I think ultimately I will want to be here 4-5 months or so a year. I just dont care for the seasonality of things and the lack of sense of community. Like I said, its lovely here in a alot of ways but for full time, it is a little more challenging than I think I want at this point. But who knows, in 6 months I may change my mind!

Old 09-29-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Just curious - which community?
Camden Lakes. Pulte is closing it out, but theres positively a HUGE tract of conservation land behind my lot. The conservation plot is square and has easements on another developers property for access. There are even dead end streets that could be built out. The plot is square and bigger than the land given to the community for construction! All that leads me to conjecture (and its just that, conjecture..no facts to back it up) that they (builder + owner) will retain control of the HOA in order to file a variance on conservation land and build on it. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but my prior life was a hell of runway expansions, highway expansion and other projects "for the common good" that ruined my peace of mind and chased me away.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:43 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,191,776 times
I believe the HOA has to be turned over to the community once it is 90% built out, so I don't see how they can retain control if they are closing out.

You might also see of there is any wetlands as part of the preserve. One thing that is not clear is that on one sentence you say the land is conservation land, but the next sentence that there are easements on another developers property for access. Are you sure it is zoned for conservation? Are you sure the builder still owns it? Or, does the HOA own it? Why would anyone need access? Could there be utilities running through the land? Otherwise your concern would be legitimate.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I believe the HOA has to be turned over to the community once it is 90% built out, so I don't see how they can retain control if they are closing out.

You might also see of there is any wetlands as part of the preserve. One thing that is not clear is that on one sentence you say the land is conservation land, but the next sentence that there are easements on another developers property for access. Are you sure it is zoned for conservation? Are you sure the builder still owns it? Or, does the HOA own it? Why would anyone need access? Could there be utilities running through the land? Otherwise your concern would be legitimate.
How would i find zoning? All I see are the paperwork that the builder has provided stating in public record that the land has a conservation easement on it.

Last edited by night0wl; 09-29-2015 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: tag not showing

Old 09-29-2015, 07:39 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,170 times
Developers own/run Florida. Never, ever think something cannot happen when it comes to building. No conservation district is safe. We had a wetland conservation plot in Juno along the inlet, in between Ellison and A1A that chinese 'investors' bought building rights to, and that they did. Very sad

Old 09-30-2015, 01:54 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,344,985 times
If all you have is the builder's word that the land is conservation, then you have less than nothing.

thunderkay59 is spot on, and it's not just true for Florida. It reminds me of a chorus in that great song by Tom Russell "Who's Gonna Build Your Wall" where he sings

but as I travel around this big ol' world
the thing that I most fear
is a white man in a golf shirt
with a cell phone in his ear

Old 09-30-2015, 02:20 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times

This is not a small/odd piece of land designated as conservation, it looks like something that could be built on. I would get a copy of the actual easement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: