Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 08:44 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,708,831 times

Advertisements

We recently moved in to a new house in Riverstone. They provided standard landscaping in the front and a bit around the sides.

We need to add just a few nice select pieces for privacy outside our windows on the side of the house (lots are small, neighbors are very close) and to block our view of the neighbors mechanical equipment.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 11:48 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,607,775 times
Don't know your situ:
If able to DIY, I would do it myself: half the cost, pick your out stuff, a little digging, maybe stake small trees, etc.

If not able/willing to DIY, ask neighbors for their landscape company rec'd...

Or, if HOA covers grass mowing trimming via an anointed LC, ask them for a suggestion and a cozy price.

If HOA, you may have to get ARC/ACC approval, or maybe not.

In my decade of experience with 'landscapers' in Naples, the plant material markup can be considerable, esp on larger specimens, and the install price may or may not be 'reasonable' vs what someone can do with a pick and shovel in 20 mins.

As for landscaper recommendations, check with neighbors/HOA...any of us pitching a 'landscaper' is like one of us rec'd a CPA: hundreds of them, though the landscapers all tend to promise the moon like First Dates, and then their service goes to normal/crummy.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 05-12-2015 at 12:51 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 12:56 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
We recently moved in to a new house in Riverstone. They provided standard landscaping in the front and a bit around the sides.

We need to add just a few nice select pieces for privacy outside our windows on the side of the house (lots are small, neighbors are very close) and to block our view of the neighbors mechanical equipment.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Check with the HOA's landscaper and see how much it would cost...that's what we did down the street from you in Olde Cypress (we used Stahlman). If you go that route it's essentially "pre-approved" and will be maintained.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:25 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,708,831 times
Thanks Mark.

I just emailed our HOA manager to look into that option and appreciate the Stahlman recommendation.

And thanks for your suggestion David.

I've done enough landscaping to last me a lifetime. I have no desire to dig holes and plant trees, hedges etc ever again.

I sold all my tools when we moved here and don't really want to buy and store all that stuff again.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:10 PM

549 posts, read 722,327 times
Hey Movin,

Another thing to consider is that because the lots may be close, you might not get much light through the windows especially if you block them with plants or trees. I don't know what direction your side windows face but I would consider planting a smaller easily maintained shrub that would also work to provide security and a nicely framed view (Bougainvillea perhaps). Your privacy would then need to be addressed from the inside with a window treatment of sorts.

I realize it may not be what you want but might be worth thinking about.

Congrats on your purchase!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: