Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 02:05 AM

28 posts, read 51,687 times

Advertisements

We have family in Naples, including my mother-in-law, who is in a nursing home. We heard from them only once-the day after the storm-that they were ok and the nursing home has generator power (and no flooding). Since then, however, we haven't heard and can't get through to the nursing home or my sister-in-law and family.

I live in Port St Lucie and we had expected Irma to hit us so we flew north. Our power is back on and I need to be to work on Monday, so I'm flying back into FLL on Saturday. I'm thinking about renting a Prius (gas mileage) in FL and driving to Naples to both check on the family and to take supplies (water, food, batteries) before heading to PSL.

I'm also wondering, if conditions warrant, if I should take m-i-l back to PSL. If there's no gas, the nursing home can't run their generator, and I read about the nursing home deaths in Hollywood.

However, not sure if it makes sense, if I could get stuck there and be a drain on their resources, rather than a help.

Can anyone tell me what current conditions are in PSL? Is there gas? I'm assuming we haven't heard from anyone because the cell towers are down and/or there isn't gas to charge phones.

Will I be able to get to Naples from FLL on I75? Will I be able to get to Port St. Lucie from there? Either north through LaBelle and Okeechobee or, if I have to, back through Fort Lauderdale and then north?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 04:54 AM

788 posts, read 784,374 times
I know power is starting to come back on regularly in both her city and county . There are places places to find out the info your after than HERE do to computer service being down widely too . I have a sister in law that's power came up yesterday am off airport road and linwood ave .

You should have limited issues other than traffic down I-95 across gator alley to Naples from Port St.lucie. Fuel supplys is showing up quickly too but your routes a one tank of gas need .

CCSO EMERGENCY HOMEPAGE - Storm Central | Collier County, FL Sheriff -- Links to there facebook and twitter sites here also

Collier County Hurricane Irma info - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Old 09-14-2017, 07:07 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,542,575 times
I just heard from my neighbor in North Naples. Power is back on but no cable service (Comcast internet/TV). He has had water and cell service the whole time, although at times the cell service was spotty. This is at Airport and Vanderbilt.

Last edited by tmozer; 09-14-2017 at 07:42 AM..

Old 09-14-2017, 07:40 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,708,831 times
Last we heard, Riverstone, also in North Naples, still no power. Sewage is backing up in the streets and some houses too.

We are not there to check on things, getting info from Nextdoor.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:52 AM

62 posts, read 61,253 times
you can go to
https://www.fpl.com/storm/customer-outages.html
to see that of the 210k customers in Collier, 84k have power.

It's slowly coming back, but very slowly.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:05 AM

82 posts, read 155,265 times
traffic can be checked using google maps and the live traffic function. It can be viewed on mobile phones as you are in FL.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:38 AM

28 posts, read 51,687 times
The nursing home in question is Solaris Health Care Imperial, on Tamiami/Imperial Golf Course Blvd, just north of Collier Reserve Country Club. Sister-in-law tried to go check in a bit ago, but there was an accident blocking the road and she doesn't have enough gas to wait in the backup.

In case anyone is in the area and can check how they are there.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:01 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,314,125 times
We have been contacting friends and former coworkers (before and after Irma) back in Naples.

One friend, who evacuated with his Mom and two teenage kids to his brother's in Birmingham, came back yesterday. He lives on Pine Ridge near the hospital in a condo and said his condo has power. No damage, but said in his drive around it all looks far worse than Wilma.

The office, where my husband retired from but still does online part time work, on Airport near Radio Rd. is still without power. He heard from the owners that their metal fence was blow away and one window blew in, which means water damage. Hopefully, to their downstairs vacant office rental and not to upstairs where the computers are.

Former coworkers up in Bonita Beach said they were very lucky and have power back. One couple lives on a canal. He said his seawall is about a foot or two higher than his neighbor's across the canal which got flooded.

One coworker lives in Immokalee in a rented manufactured home. Nobody has heard from him. I hope he is ok. Are the shelters still open there? I read that they got hit very hard.

Much depends on where you live, and just plain luck. I was back in NY during Sandy at my daughter's inland home on LI. She got her power back after 24 hours. Commercial area and across the street from a school; much the same as our friend who lives on Pine Ridge also a commercial area. Our older daughter lived near the shore. She didn't get power back for over a week and stayed with friends during that time. Wind direction. My younger daughter's street had almost no damage at all, yet around the corner it looked like a war zone. Pure luck.

The bottom line is that property damage can be fixed and replaced. Human life cannot be. That is all that really matters. Best wishes to everyone there.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:19 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,387 times
Went to the beach on Tuesday, never ever seen the water so dirty brown in many years swimming and living here, scared to go back since.... I'm sure it will clear up but, but, sigh

Last edited by JPrzybylski07; 09-14-2017 at 01:39 PM..

Old 09-14-2017, 04:11 PM

22,667 posts, read 36,783,639 times
My sister lives in Naples and does not have power yet. She lives in Pelican Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples