Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:14 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,299 times

Advertisements

So you want to live in a Naples HOA? Don't decorate for Christmas or you will get banned from the clubhouse and fined $1000. It's pretty sad for this young family that seems to be liked by all their neighbors.

P.S. Read the comments below the article. Naples News has some of the best letters to the editor I've ever read. Many times better than the paper itself.

Holiday cheer comes with a price in one North Naples neighborhood : Collier County : Naples Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 12:59 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,314 times
That is truly sad. A PR nightmare.
Thankfully, our HOA has been good...based on common sense with no problems.
And BTW, we have some nice Christmas Decorations in the neighborhood....

Frank D.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:19 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,927,712 times
I may be reading between the lines here, but it sounds like they chose to live in a maintenance free community. I.E. the lawn is the responsibility of the association and common property.
While emotionally I condemn the bah-hum-bug feel of the association I understand their need to enforce the rules for dealing with common property. The lawn crew probably want's additional pay for cutting around the decorations.
Again, maybe reading too much into this, but it seems that the association did attempt to deal with the issue at Halloween, in a more light handed fashion. The resident didn't get it then so now the fines.
If the homeowner had simply decorated the house I doubt if we'd be reading about this.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:53 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,121 times
This happens all over the place, not just Florida and not just Naples Florida.
There are several this way in NC. There are some so strict you can't even put "plants" out on your patio's...

Just depends what you want out of life. You want a froo froo high and mighty everything in it's place and picture perfect type place,,,,then that's what you get.

I'll never again live where there is an HOA (read misuse money grubbers) running the show. Waste of space they are.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:03 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,553 times
Wow, truly sad. And sad to say, not suprised being that it's Naples. What a disgrace.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:03 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,657,162 times
I looked at this development when we were looking for a house last year. I live in a gated golf devleopment in Naples. I have lights and bells on my gararge. I have a snowman and a shovel on my lawn which says, "Let it Snow". I have lighted candles in my front and back (facing the golf course) windows.

My neighbors across the street have the full works: lighted blow up Santas and Snownmen, Reindeer, etc., etc. Nobody has told me or them to take them down, let alone be fined. If it weren't for some of us, it would be totally black here at night. Snowbirds aren't here to decorate for Christmas.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:04 PM

"There are several this way in NC. There are some so strict you can't even put "plants" out on your patio's..."

Really? Could you provide some proof that there are several places like that in NC?

Old 12-26-2008, 11:41 AM

I'd be interested to know what places do that, seems pretty ridiculous.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:24 PM

88 posts, read 269,315 times
Lmao. My parents live in South Naples in a gated community and lots of people have x-mas lights up and decorations. As a matter of fact the entrance to the community had a huge wreath on it and the palm trees had lights on them. I think it depends on which community you live in but don't judge all of Naples by this article.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:30 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,744,304 times
I wish it was 1958 when this stupidity did not exist. Typical nonsense when Florida is in real trouble in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples