Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2007, 09:21 AM

11 posts, read 75,193 times

Advertisements

We are so torn. We are looking at 4 completely different areas to move to.

We have children - so want to be in a great school district (the best preferably)....We are looking at

Melbourne Area on East Coast
Orlando
Tampa
Marco Island or Naples

Does anyone have any input or favorites? Why?

Or any other suggestions? We want to live in a nice, clean area.

Thanks for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 11:39 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelsBelles View Post
We are so torn. We are looking at 4 completely different areas to move to.

We have children - so want to be in a great school district (the best preferably)....We are looking at

Melbourne Area on East Coast
Orlando
Tampa
Marco Island or Naples

Does anyone have any input or favorites? Why?
Or any other suggestions? We want to live in a nice, clean area.
Thanks for any help!!
KelsBelles,
I have a bit of input on some of your choices - my parents live in Melbourne and love it. They live in a neighborhood with all age groups, including families with school-aged children. Their next door neighbor actually moved because they wanted their high-school age son in a different school than the one he was in. They were very pleased with the change. My parents live in SunTree which may be helpful, and I wish I had more specifics on that, you'd need a resident for more precise information.

We LOVE Naples, visit frequently and have friends who live there. Every single person we know who has moved there absolutely loves it - including the summers! The schools in Naples are great, from what I am told. It is a very wealthy area, but if you do some looking, especially in this market, you could come up with a great deal on a house. The further you are from the heart of Naples, the better deal you can get on a house. The area is clean, beautiful, lots to do, plenty of jobs. The traffic is congested during the snowbird months, but decreases once spring comes to the North.

I do know this much about Orlando - friends of ours moved there when their children were still in elementary school, and they were so happy that they did. I've met friends of my DD's through her summer camp who are high school students from Orlando. Very nice young ladies, obviously bright, but they did say that their area is crowded.

I hope I've helped you a little bit. Best of luck with your decision!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:03 PM

11 posts, read 75,193 times
Default A dream

Thanks Adream. Where do you live in Florida? I am very familiar with the sun tree area. I'd love to get your opinion on the difference in the landscape in Suntree vs Naples. What I noticed was that it seemed very blah. Flat. (I know all of Florida is flat) but it didn't seem to even have any high trees really or buildings for that matter.

I know Suntree and Melbourne AND Orlando have some good schools. Maybe I should say this...I'm looking for the prettiest beaches nearby and the most lush landscaping. (obviously not as important as schools) but if I'm going to give up the majestic mountains I'm used to - I'd love to live in the best of what Florida has to offer beauty wise. What do you think?

Anyone else? Thanks A dream!

Old 03-22-2007, 09:06 PM

12 posts, read 49,102 times
Good schools and beauty? Gotta go with Naples!
Check the schools ratings and in my opinion you cant beat the beaches in Naples. We just bought a house north of Naples and love the area. Lots to see and do to keep you and any kids busy.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:18 PM

170 posts, read 571,101 times
I'd go to Melbourne. I grew up in Naples, and while it is gorgeous, it's crowded and expensive now. Orlando and Tampa have high crime rates and gang problems. Melbourne is still a smaller town, close to the beach, and hasn't gotten too big for its britches yet.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:54 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelsBelles View Post
I'm looking for the prettiest beaches nearby and the most lush landscaping. (obviously not as important as schools) but if I'm going to give up the majestic mountains I'm used to - I'd love to live in the best of what Florida has to offer beauty wise. What do you think?

Anyone else? Thanks A dream!
You're very welcome KelsBelles! To answer your question; I don't live in Florida full-time, but travel there frequently.

My personal pick between Naples' Gulf coast beaches and East coast beaches: I'll take the Gulf anyday. I should add that I live near the beach in NJ, lived near Cocoa Beach as a kid and used to vacation in Pompano, etc. Once I discovered Naples, I discovered paradise. (Yep, they call it that & I think they are onto something!) I also enjoy their beautiful, lush landscaping in the different communities and in the town center. Oh, that is another item! The heart of Old Naples is GORGEOUS! Sounds like you have some exploring to do - enjoy!

Old 03-24-2007, 02:11 PM

124 posts, read 815,878 times
I live in Naples and have school age children. You should read some of my previous posts about Naples, some good threads there. We are personally moving out of Naples, but more for personal reasons than hating the town. I do not HATE it, I simply want to raise my kids in 4 seasons of weather and less wealth, less spoiled children. There is LOTS of money here and it can turn some children into spoiled brats. I have been to some pretty elaborate birthday parties for the 2-5 year old set. Naples schools are excellent. I prefer the districts in North Naples as well as the neighborhoods. Stay out of Lee County if you can, the school system stinks. I always picture Marco being kind of old people and kind of out there if you need to be in Naples often. I would not personally raise my children there, since you are a good 20-30 minute drive to Naples, maybe more. Our parks, beaches, shopping are all top notch. And landscaping?? Doesn't get better than this.....it's one of the few towns they actually put brick pavers, landscape lighting, trees and flowers in most of the medians. Every is extremely clean. There is a price to pay for this. Between taxes and insurance alone, I pay about $12,000 a year. If you stay North Collier county, you'll find a good house under $500k, but not much under $300k. And yes, expect traffic, a gridlock on the highway most days at rush hour. I don;t know much about the other areas you are looking, but there are a TON of young families....and pretty mommies driving Escalades and Suburbans.....to haul around 1 kid, high school kids driving bmw's and range rovers is common too. If you can handle that, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples