Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:15 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times

Advertisements

Well.. as a longtime user of this site, some of you might know me and might be a bit surprised that I am suddenly thinking of moving to Nashville sooner than later. I had some unexpected things pop up and now must make a decision about a year earlier than expected.

The rundown is this: We're looking to possibly move within 2-4 months. Definitely renting first. I am a well-established graphic designer with some major companies under the belt, but am perfectly willing to work for small companies and studios as well.

Me and my wife do not own a house out in CA, obviously because the prices are insanely high. But we have saved enough to just about buy something in Nashville, in one of the non-pricey areas outright. Having a small mortgage is perfectly acceptable. Being able to actually afford a home will be a luxury for us. 135-200k MAX is what we're looking at eventually. Rent as cheap as possible for the first 6 months to a year is also desirable.

I have no problem with the "culture" because I'm actually from TN. I am kind of familiar with Nashville, but it has been so long since I lived in the area that things are now hazy. That and things have grown. I want to investigate areas that are within driving distance of the city, as in 30 minutes or less that will allow us to have a decent yard for a garden, etc. Obviously, Franklin and Brentwood are not options.

I have some pain in the ass things I need to somehow manage. I have a 52 year old classic car that may not be easy to sell. If so, it has to be transported across the country. My folks live in East TN, so the car could 'live' there for awhile. Secondly, I need to line up some work. Since my plans are premature by a year, I haven't carefully researched the graphic design, advertising, and creative industry carefully enough to determine it's health and ease of finding a new job.

Anyhow, there is about a 50% chance of this happening. Just weighing my options. Any advice would be appreciated.-thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 10:31 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
There are still some houses out in Bellevue in the $130 to $200K range. It's a reasonable commute into downtown, West End, or even Brentwood from that area. Just a thought.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:17 AM

23 posts, read 57,349 times
Spring Hill / Thompsons Station has alot to offer $150 - $200 Range

Steve

Old 06-22-2007, 01:33 AM

923 posts, read 3,513,393 times
Smile Best Wishes...

Sliverbox;

Let us know where you end up...
We'll be in Nashville soon.
Regards,
DLS

Old 06-22-2007, 05:55 AM

35 posts, read 224,760 times
Don't get your hopes up too high with that price range. There are few decent homes in Bellevue under $225K now, and that also applies to many other desirable areas around town. Sure, there might be some bargains to be found in obscurity, but I don't think the previous respondents are being totally honest.

On the other hand, you can probably find a home in that range in Madison, Hermitage or Antioch with little problem ... Murfreesboro/Lavergne/Smyrna as well.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativelyNashville View Post
Don't get your hopes up too high with that price range. There are few decent homes in Bellevue under $225K now, and that also applies to many other desirable areas around town. Sure, there might be some bargains to be found in obscurity, but I don't think the previous respondents are being totally honest.

On the other hand, you can probably find a home in that range in Madison, Hermitage or Antioch with little problem ... Murfreesboro/Lavergne/Smyrna as well.
I don't mind if you differ with my opinion, or say I'd wrong, or offer another option . . . but I do take issue with the "honesty" comment. I think Sliverbox has seen me around this forum enough to judge that for himself.

I live in Bellevue, and I know the general home prices there; there are many homes in the area priced over $225k, but also a number priced under that amount. And I have no ulterior motive for suggesting Bellevue or any other place to Sliverbox; I am not a real agent nor do I have anything to sale. I merely offered Bellevue as one possibility.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:42 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
I'm not totally dead-set on living within or even near Nashville. I currently drive over 45 miles EACH WAY to my job here in CA in mind boggling traffic.Around 2 hours. So I can almost guarantee that anything deemed a traffic jam there will be like a Sunday drive. With that in mind, the idea of living who knows- 20-40 minutes away is perfectly acceptable. The 130-150k range is admittedly low. Anything over that and we would basically have a mortgage. We were perhaps hoping to simply buy a place for cash and be done with it. In other words, some of those other towns mentioned like Antioch and Hermitage are A-ok with me. We're not concerned about joining the hipster crowds gentrifying East Nashville or the Cali-relos in Franklin and Brentwood. I grew up in the sticks... and to the sticks I shall return! sorry.. couldn't resist.

lastly, I'm not sure at this point if the move will now be so soon. I have since had a change in my professional situation which means it will more than likely be a year instead. I am also not terribly worried about prices running away because I have intently studied the MLS for around 6 months. While the supply hasn't been sky-high like it is in some states like FL and CA, the supply is fairly high and sticky. In my price range of 200k max, the supply has been at an avg of 12,500 for months now. It goes up and down a bit, but it stays at the same supply level. The selling season is also at it's peak.Most move before July 4th. So with that, a year won't matter much, and in fact some of the more far-flung properties might actually lose some value.The latest DQ reports shows a lull in Nashville with some depreciation in some of the pricey areas. So Nashville too will probably get ssome off the aftermath off the bubble fallout in the form of feeder states full of people unable to cash out and move there. We're just moving with old-fashioned savings, so this doesn't affect us.

So... I will start the long arduous process of research and so on and in a year, I will hopefully be there. Thanks for the tips so far.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,934 times
This nice lady is looking to rent with option to buy in the bellvue area. Help.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrlbarb View Post
This nice lady is looking to rent with option to buy in the bellvue area. Help.
You best bet would probably be to contact a real estate agent familiar with the area, and also see what's listed in the Tennessean and online real estate sites.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 PM

6 posts, read 12,582 times
Default Maybe Murfreesboro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I'm not totally dead-set on living within or even near Nashville. I currently drive over 45 miles EACH WAY to my job here in CA in mind boggling traffic.Around 2 hours. So I can almost guarantee that anything deemed a traffic jam there will be like a Sunday drive. With that in mind, the idea of living who knows- 20-40 minutes away is perfectly acceptable. The 130-150k range is admittedly low. Anything over that and we would basically have a mortgage. We were perhaps hoping to simply buy a place for cash and be done with it. In other words, some of those other towns mentioned like Antioch and Hermitage are A-ok with me. We're not concerned about joining the hipster crowds gentrifying East Nashville or the Cali-relos in Franklin and Brentwood. I grew up in the sticks... and to the sticks I shall return! sorry.. couldn't resist.

lastly, I'm not sure at this point if the move will now be so soon. I have since had a change in my professional situation which means it will more than likely be a year instead. I am also not terribly worried about prices running away because I have intently studied the MLS for around 6 months. While the supply hasn't been sky-high like it is in some states like FL and CA, the supply is fairly high and sticky. In my price range of 200k max, the supply has been at an avg of 12,500 for months now. It goes up and down a bit, but it stays at the same supply level. The selling season is also at it's peak.Most move before July 4th. So with that, a year won't matter much, and in fact some of the more far-flung properties might actually lose some value.The latest DQ reports shows a lull in Nashville with some depreciation in some of the pricey areas. So Nashville too will probably get ssome off the aftermath off the bubble fallout in the form of feeder states full of people unable to cash out and move there. We're just moving with old-fashioned savings, so this doesn't affect us.

So... I will start the long arduous process of research and so on and in a year, I will hopefully be there. Thanks for the tips so far.
Since you aren't bothered by a reasonable commute, you may want to consider Rutherford County. We have some really nice homes to be had for around $200K and some are even less than that, if you don't want a certain neighborhood or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville