Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 05:19 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times

Advertisements

Murfreesboro TN Information, Real Estate, News, Doctors, Jobs & Much More! | Nashville and Middle Tennessee Traffic Report

When I first saw this I thought, "Yeah I'm not surprised." But the more I thought about it...I realize we have a lot of congestion here, but to be named worst in the entire country? Worse than Atlanta? Los Angeles? I don't know, that seems a bit hard to swallow. On the other hand, just yesterday here in M'boro I was trying to cross Broad Street and turn left, and it literally took me about ten minutes to do so...AT 10AM! I would expect that or worse at rush hour, but at 10am on a Saturday morning?

Edit: According to this article, we're not even close to #1, but we are on the list:

List: 100 Most Congested Cities - Forbes.com

That's more in line with what I would have expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 07:47 PM

65 posts, read 111,168 times
I would think the second link you posted is the more accurate. All I can compare is Nashville to the San Francisco/Oakland area where I live. We never talk in terms of miles to a destination here, it is driving time and when you are driving!

If I plan to go to the Oakland airport from where I live, and it is non-peak, I will be there in 25-30 minutes. Peak is double that, and that's not taking into account accidents, etc. And, in our area we have BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) which is heavily used. Without BART, it would be a nightmare for commuters!

When my BF picks me up at the Nashville airport late afternoon on a weekday, and complains about the traffic going south on 65, I have to bite my tongue.....

I dunno about that intersection where you had the 10 minute wait...maybe time for a traffic light there?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:49 PM

3,043 posts, read 3,311,876 times
By your chart, how the 39th MSA compares to be the worst is beyond me. Maybe they did the survey on the afternoon of the floods?
I-24 SE to Murfreesboro may be the busiest & worst.
I-65 N or S may be next
I-40 E to the Airport is also busy
I-440 can be toed up from I-24 back to I-40

IMHO the big goof was having the 3 Interstates mix in & around the downtown area. Then you have I-40 come in the right then go out the Left
so you have a mile or so for interstate travelers to cross lanes.

The worst traffic seems to be Friday 4-6 pm.

Finishing 840 as a south bypass of the city may help some.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:57 AM

8 posts, read 15,112 times
While traffic can be terrible at times, it is much worse in other places. IMO I think most of these lists are made just to get readers?

Old 10-04-2010, 07:52 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
IMHO the big goof was having the 3 Interstates mix in & around the downtown area.
It would be worse if they hadn't re-routed I-65 around the west side of downtown about a decade ago, eliminating the all-three-interstates choke point.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:50 AM

113 posts, read 382,991 times
OK, who ever said that Nashville was the most congested city had to be on the roads when they had a bad accident or during the floods. I moved here two years ago from Los Angeles. My hubby and I laugh when people here talk about traffic. What traffic we say! Oh scary! LOL I'm now at the point when I leave the house, I think first and say...oh yeah, I don't have to leave 2 hours early....traffic in LA is 24/7 and no breaks. Not even at 3am.... Just too many people and cars. Sometimes getting down the block would take 15 mins and I'm not KIDDING! Our cars got great gas mileage, but now here in Nashville it's even better. No stop, start, stop start all day long....

Old 10-05-2010, 10:53 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCouple View Post
OK, who ever said that Nashville was the most congested city had to be on the roads when they had a bad accident or during the floods. I moved here two years ago from Los Angeles. My hubby and I laugh when people here talk about traffic. What traffic we say! Oh scary! LOL I'm now at the point when I leave the house, I think first and say...oh yeah, I don't have to leave 2 hours early....traffic in LA is 24/7 and no breaks. Not even at 3am.... Just too many people and cars. Sometimes getting down the block would take 15 mins and I'm not KIDDING! Our cars got great gas mileage, but now here in Nashville it's even better. No stop, start, stop start all day long....
I live in L.A. and plan to move to Nashville in Dec/Jan. My husband and I visited last October and we were amazed at the "horrible traffic"

Old 10-06-2010, 04:21 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
It is hardly traffic when you have to slow down to 40 mph to merge from 65 onto 40 in the morning gong to work downtown.

The worst traffic I ever experienced on a regular basis was the stretch of I-95 from Bridgeport to Greenwich... 1.5 hours every day to get 15 miles to work.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:08 PM

15 posts, read 66,332 times
I love the Nashville traffic. I am from Chicago, when you sit for 45 minutes or creep less than 5 mph, that is traffic, or it takes you 2 hours to get home.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:43 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,451 times
Yeah, that's nuts. Sometimes it's bad, most of the time, pretty easy stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: