Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 6,489 times

Advertisements

I am a 28 year old single professional woman who will be working near Vanderbilt University. However, I will also be traveling quite a lot with my job and will be going to the airport once a week.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to where to live in the Nashville area? I originally thought that living about half way from work and the airport would be ideal, however, I don't know the traffic patterns well enough to know which would be the best and safest place to live.

I would also like to be in an area where there are other young single professionals.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 09:51 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,474,457 times
There's not a really ideal midway point between Vandy and the airport that I can think of. Looking at the map the midway point is the Woodbine/Mufreesboro Rd/Elm Hill Pike/Trevecca University area. Not my first choice to live at in Nashville...it is a rough part of town in places.

East Nashville is sort of in the middle...it's a trendy area for younger people, but again can have some rough spots. Green Hills would put you closer to Vandy, but still a quick drive on I 440 to the airport.

Honestly, I would probably just look at one or the other location and go from there. There are plenty of nice areas around Vanderbilt that a young single person would enjoy living at...but the cost can be prohibitive. Look around 12South (12th Avenue South), the Hillsboro Village/Belmont University area, or Green Hills as I mentioned before. Depending on your budget, you should be able to find something here.

If your budget is a major factor, try looking in Hermitage on the east side of town. Very close to the airport, probably less than 5 minutes via interstate, and a fairly nice suburb with plenty of shopping/restaurants and apartments in the area. Further east is Mt. Juliet which is a growing community and is a little nicer than Hermitage with even better shopping/restaurants. The problem with these areas is that they are suburban and aren't as attractive as the Vandy areas for nigthtlife/fun stuff for 20 something singles to do. You might also look at Donelson which is literally in the airport's backyard, but it is an older community...run down in spots.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 PM

274 posts, read 998,578 times
I'm a young professional too that recently moved to Nashville and where I live has a decent mix of young professionals (mostly in healthcare and in the tech industry). In addition to Don Corleone's post, I'm not sure what kind of person you are but I enjoy living in the suburbs but also want convenient access to the city. That's why I live in the suburbia area within the outskirts of Brentwood, which is south of Nashville and is a really nice (and depending where you are, expensive) area. Nothing against living in cities, but I just prefer the "openness" and ambients sounds of crickets versus city buses and cabs honking at other cars.

For my job, I travel a lot too each week so trips to the airport are frequent so I made sure that where I lived gave me a happy medium distance-wise to the city and airport. From here, commute time to the airport during rush hour is about 15 min or so taking the back roads which surprisingly is easier than taking the freeway during the week. Rush hour traffic to the city in the morning can get pretty bad as there are multiple arteries that connect to each other leading to downtown Nashville. Likewise, in the latter afternoon you would expect a lot of congestion as well. However, comparing the other major cities I've previously lived in (NY, Chicago, Philly, DC), Nashville traffic is not bad at all. And if I wanted to go downtown for nightlife or checking out some downtown sites on the weekends, it's an easy commute from where I live because I have the choice of taking the back roads or the interstate(s), which probably takes about 10-15 min from where I live.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 6,489 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you for your insight and wisdom. I very much appreciate your help!

Old 10-28-2010, 05:50 PM

3,049 posts, read 3,317,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post
I am a 28 year old single professional woman who will be working near Vanderbilt University. However, I will also be traveling quite a lot with my job and will be going to the airport once a week.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to where to live in the Nashville area? I originally thought that living about half way from work and the airport would be ideal, however, I don't know the traffic patterns well enough to know which would be the best and safest place to live.

I would also like to be in an area where there are other young single professionals.

Thanks for your help!
There are some apartments & homes in the Donelson-Hermitage areas north of the airport to check out. The Music City Star (train) or Lebanon Pk bus takes you downtown & transfer to another bus for the Vandy area.
Travel times will be affected by traffic on I-40/24 around downtown.
You do need to watch how close you are to the Stones River & the Cumberland if Nashville would flood again. For a YP you would have access to events in the downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: