Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:39 AM

584 posts, read 1,136,729 times

Advertisements

Do grocery stores in Middle Tennessee carry my favorite GF brands of deli meat? Boar's Head and Applegate Farms are widely available where I live in the Midwest; when we move south, will I be able to find them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 10:42 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
We have Boar's Head. Not sure about Applegate Farms.

We also have FedEx!

Old 10-28-2010, 10:42 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,871 times
Boars Head are definitely at Harris Teeter and Publix

Old 10-28-2010, 10:51 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,633,731 times
Yep, both at Publix.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:52 AM

Don't know if I want to pay to have deli meat Fed-Ex'd to me on dry ice...that could be expensive!

I have never even seen a Publix or Harris Teeter. Neither one of them even remotely sound like a grocery store to me.

I went to college in West TN and lived in Murfreesboro briefly 20 years ago and Kroger is the store I remember. That was BK and BGF. (before kids and before gluten free)

Old 10-28-2010, 10:53 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
Publix has really given Kroger a run on its money. There's at least one Publix in every suburb now.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:45 AM

722 posts, read 2,101,407 times
Publix is a large grocer from Florida. Harris Teeter is nice, especially the Brentwood one.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:38 PM

3,048 posts, read 3,317,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Passeaux View Post
Publix is a large grocer from Florida. Harris Teeter is nice, especially the Brentwood one.
Both stores are a good reason not to get a Kroger discount card. Kroger does sell gas at some locations or give discount at Shell.

HT does have a discount card. You do not have to buy the quantity to get the discount price. The clerk unloads your cart & efficiently bags your groceries. Good deli, bakery, meats. Some produce you won't find elsewhere.

Publix bought out Albertson's. Great customer service, deli,bakery,meats. Many have a branch bank & ATM.

You may spot other items (Martha White flour), (Purity Dairy) they don't get up North. Don't forget the grits. Be sure to stock up on bread-milk-eggs when it threatens to snow.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:06 PM

GWoodle: I grew up in a state that neighbors Tennessee. I haven't lived in the south for almost 20 years, though. You make me smile - and you forgot something - when the weather forecast threatens snow, in addition to stocking up on bread-milk-eggs, you must also go to the bank and fill up the vehicles w/ fuel. Living in the Midwest for 16 years, observing the difference in behavior (between Southerners and Midwesterners) when snow is in the forecast is quite humorous.

One of my big concerns about relocating to Middle Tennessee is the Central Time Zone - that will be weird after so many years away from it.

Having grown up in the South, I still think I'm in for some culture shock, having been away for so long. Will be an interesting transition.

Another will be the fact that my dialect won't stand out any more. I'll blend in, there, and instead my kids will stand out, because they didn't pick up my twang. My son makes fun of the way I say "yellah" for "yellow". And the kids cannot pronounce "y'all" correctly (yet).

I occasionally find Martha White flour here in the Midwest. No Purity Dairy. I've never eaten grits. My mama never made them. Isn't that odd?

Old 10-29-2010, 06:40 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,623 times
Don't worry too much about you or your kids standing out Anony-Momma. Nashville has become such a magnet for transplants, there are many dialects and accents here. There's a difference in living in metro Nashville proper and living 50 miles away in the country though.

We moved to TN from MI when I was in the 8th grade and then I moved back to MI for 5 years later on and then I ended up back here. I MUCH prefer central time to eastern. It doesn't take too long to get used to it.

My parents are both southern and we never ate grits. Gravy, yes, grits no. I didn't learn to appreciate them until later in life when I discovered you can put cheese in them !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville