Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 12:16 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,048,575 times

Advertisements

Has there ever been a more poorly officiated game? I was there and though I was not one of the ones showering the officiating crew with beer bottles and other paraphernalia, I was loudly cheering on those who were.

How many times did the officials screw up in a mere 30 seconds? I will try not to lose count:

1. The unnecessary roughness call on Janzen Jackson was bogus. He led with his shoulder pad and he hit the UNC player in bounds. I know there has been a big emphasis on "player protection" this year, but football is still a contact sport, isn't it? If players are going to be penalized just for hitting hard, they might as well ditch the helmets and pads and put on the flags.

2. The final play of regulation when Yates attempted to spike the ball with one second left. UNC snapped the ball in the middle of a substitution -- members of the field goal unit were running on the field. By rule, during an offensive subsitution the official is supposed to stand over the ball and prevent it from being snapped so that the defense has the chance to also make substitutions. If they had followed this simple rule, the clock would have hit zero long before UNC would have been able to snap the ball.

3. When Yates spiked the ball on that final play, UNC had at least 14 men on the field. However, the officials only penalized them five yards, allowing them to attempt (and make) a 39 yard field goal. By rule, if the offense snaps the ball and attempts a forward pass with more than 11 men on the field, the penalty is 15 yards. By definition, a spike to stop the clock is a forward pass. UNC's final field goal should have been from 49 yards -- a much more difficult attempt.

4. As Yates spiked the ball, the clock on the field went to zero and an official came out and announced over the P.A. system that "the game is over." The coaches shook hands at midfield and UT celebrated on the field, waiting for the trophy to be presented. Over a minute went by before the official reversed his statement and said that the final play would be reviewed. When a game is declared over by an official, it is over! Since when can they go back after the fact and review a play? What if it had been 30 minutes later that the booth decided a review would be prudent? What if it was the next day? Where is the line drawn? When the official calls the game as being over and the coaches shake hands, there shouldn't be any football after that.

5. I was sitting right at the goal line for UNC's touchdown in the first overtime period, and Yates did not appear to break the plane of the goal. The play was called a touchdown, however, and it wasn't even reviewed in the booth.

The end of that game also brought to light a rule that desperately needs to be implemented in college football. In the NFL, if an offense commits a penalty in the final seconds of the game while trying to stop the clock, in addition to being assessed the penalty, ten seconds are run off the clock. This prevents a team from being able to do what UNC did which was arbitrariliy snap the ball with one second left, without being set, and with players running on and off the field. The current system is ripe for abuse, as UNC showed last night.

All in all, it was a good -- albeit sloppy -- effort from both teams and I think Dooley has UT's program headed in the right direction. However, Tennessee won that game in regulation no matter what goes down in the record books. I hope that Big Ten officiating crew is never allowed to call another game in college football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 03:19 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,864,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Has there ever been a more poorly officiated game? I was there and though I was not one of the ones showering the officiating crew with beer bottles and other paraphernalia, I was loudly cheering on those who were.

How many times did the officials screw up in a mere 30 seconds? I will try not to lose count:

1. The unnecessary roughness call on Janzen Jackson was bogus. He led with his shoulder pad and he hit the UNC player in bounds. I know there has been a big emphasis on "player protection" this year, but football is still a contact sport, isn't it? If players are going to be penalized just for hitting hard, they might as well ditch the helmets and pads and put on the flags.

2. The final play of regulation when Yates attempted to spike the ball with one second left. UNC snapped the ball in the middle of a substitution -- members of the field goal unit were running on the field. By rule, during an offensive subsitution the official is supposed to stand over the ball and prevent it from being snapped so that the defense has the chance to also make substitutions. If they had followed this simple rule, the clock would have hit zero long before UNC would have been able to snap the ball.

3. When Yates spiked the ball on that final play, UNC had at least 14 men on the field. However, the officials only penalized them five yards, allowing them to attempt (and make) a 39 yard field goal. By rule, if the offense snaps the ball and attempts a forward pass with more than 11 men on the field, the penalty is 15 yards. By definition, a spike to stop the clock is a forward pass. UNC's final field goal should have been from 49 yards -- a much more difficult attempt.

4. As Yates spiked the ball, the clock on the field went to zero and an official came out and announced over the P.A. system that "the game is over." The coaches shook hands at midfield and UT celebrated on the field, waiting for the trophy to be presented. Over a minute went by before the official reversed his statement and said that the final play would be reviewed. When a game is declared over by an official, it is over! Since when can they go back after the fact and review a play? What if it had been 30 minutes later that the booth decided a review would be prudent? What if it was the next day? Where is the line drawn? When the official calls the game as being over and the coaches shake hands, there shouldn't be any football after that.

5. I was sitting right at the goal line for UNC's touchdown in the first overtime period, and Yates did not appear to break the plane of the goal. The play was called a touchdown, however, and it wasn't even reviewed in the booth.

The end of that game also brought to light a rule that desperately needs to be implemented in college football. In the NFL, if an offense commits a penalty in the final seconds of the game while trying to stop the clock, in addition to being assessed the penalty, ten seconds are run off the clock. This prevents a team from being able to do what UNC did which was arbitrariliy snap the ball with one second left, without being set, and with players running on and off the field. The current system is ripe for abuse, as UNC showed last night.

All in all, it was a good -- albeit sloppy -- effort from both teams and I think Dooley has UT's program headed in the right direction. However, Tennessee won that game in regulation no matter what goes down in the record books. I hope that Big Ten officiating crew is never allowed to call another game in college football.
Good points - but when Jackson left his feet to make the hit (even though it was shoulder-led), I knew he would get called for the PF.

Two things still puzzle me - what was exactly the PF call that allowed UNC to start at the 12 yard line in the 1st OT?? The ESPN guys were saying Roughing the Kicker - but I thought if it was roughing, then UNC could decline and take the FG or accept and take the yardage. Maybe I'm totally wrong, here.

Also - Dooley should have called Timeout before UNC kicked the tying FG to at least plead his case.

BTW - I was pulling for Carolina, and I thought those calls were atrocious, too. Tennessee has every right to beef about the officials. Same goes for the KSU game!

Old 12-31-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
BTW - I was pulling for Carolina, and I thought those calls were atrocious, too. Tennessee has every right to beef about the officials. Same goes for the KSU game!
That call in the KSU game made me want to barf, and I was pulling for neither team. Can players not have any fun anymore? How about we make them play in suits and ties if we are going to expect them to conduct themselves like businessmen out there.

At least it only took one awful call to sink KSU. Tennessee recovered from the first one (the unnecessary roughness on Jackson) to win the game in regulation, but the officials decided to pile on four more just to make sure we were done in. Ridiculous.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:29 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,222,156 times
Quote:
This is the first game all year I have "blamed on officials," because the officials made multiple cut-and-dry errors that cost UT the game, as I descriptively pointed out in my OP.

Even the end of the LSU game I thought was fairly officiated, painful as it was.
The officials missed a late hit call on UT with 0:16 to go...guess you overlooked that one since UT got away with.

Oh yea, what is with Bray's Hitler salute???

Old 12-31-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
The officials missed a late hit call on UT with 0:16 to go...guess you overlooked that one since UT got away with.

That would have been after UNC's Les Miles-esque run play with no timeouts. The play that would have cost them the game if the refs had done their job and prevented them from snapping in the middle of a substitution. I saw no late hit, sorry.

As for Bray, the kid plays with attitude and swag and I like it. I also like it that fans of other teams don't like him. He made some freshman mistakes this year, but so did Peyton in 1994. I'm excited about having him at QB for at least two more years.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:51 PM

147 posts, read 335,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post

if you watch the replay, #49 from UNC pushes Tennessee's player into UNC's guy. I know the announcers made a big deal about it but they somehow failed to point this out. it's pretty obvious if you watch the replay. i guess you weren't able to see this either

the only issue i have with the call on jackson's hit is i think it jarred the ball loose in the UNC receiver's hands for a split second and when he landed on the ground his elbow/head were the first thing to hit the ground and they landed out of bounds. to me this was an incomplete pass. the call wasn't for leading with his helmet, it was for launching himself at a receiver

Old 12-31-2010, 10:51 PM

4,884 posts, read 5,037,204 times
I have one beef with one play called by Dooley. Final TN possesion in regulation, 3rd down and long, run up the middle. Didn't really give them a chance to make a 1st down, had to punt, the rest is history. If kicker hadn't missed that extra point, then all else would've been a moot point.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:13 PM

286 posts, read 701,354 times
Yeah, because drunk rednecks throwing bottles on the field is completely justifiable and all, especially when it's for something as important as a college football game.

If people put 1/10th of the thought they put into UT football into education, we would have streets of gold and flying cars. Instead, we have nearly the lowest quality of life in the nation.

The real tragedy is that most of those UT football players are roided out and can't read above a 10th grade level.

But shoooot, that don't matter! C'mon y'all, Go Vols!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:08 PM

147 posts, read 335,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcredux View Post
Yeah, because drunk rednecks throwing bottles on the field is completely justifiable and all, especially when it's for something as important as a college football game.

If people put 1/10th of the thought they put into UT football into education, we would have streets of gold and flying cars. Instead, we have nearly the lowest quality of life in the nation.

The real tragedy is that most of those UT football players are roided out and can't read above a 10th grade level.

But shoooot, that don't matter! C'mon y'all, Go Vols!
You do realize this happens at sporting events all the time, no matter the location or team, right? And making sweeping generalizations is always the best way to prove a point, so well played.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:57 PM

914 posts, read 1,992,362 times
Quote:
I thought this was consistent with what's been called all year long. That doesn't mean I agree with them calling this, but as the NCAA defines unnecessary roughness it is consistent.

Quote:
UNC didn't actually substitute anyone

Quote:
UNC's players were running off the field. If there are too many people on the field but they are attempting to run off the field it is a substitution penalty and only 5 yards. They made the correct decision.

Quote:
I have a feeling that if this had been the other way around you would have a different opinion.

Quote:
There's no way to know, and it definitely would not have been overtuned because there was no indisputable evidence he didn't cross the goal line as ruled on the field.

Quote:
I completely agree. College needs to have a 10 second run off. I think the refs made the right calls at every point, but the rules as written allow for an unfair advantage for an offense that needs a clock stoppage. The NCAA should change this rule. Tennessee should have won the game, but I wouldn't blame the refs, I would blame the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville