Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:25 AM

215 posts, read 682,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Passeaux
possibly only in San Francisco can you get close
I would have said that but I didn't feel it would add to the discussion.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:15 PM

9 posts, read 18,592 times
Default Back to the Point

So... Shifting back to the point of this thread.

Thank you for the genuine responses to the OP. To be absolutely clear, I am not looking to explore places that are just "diverse" or "multicultural." I am looking for suggestions of places that are RESPECTFUL of people different from them. My friends' families are a beautiful mixture of cultures, some indigenous aboriginals (ancestrally native to the various lands they're from) and some landed gentry, and all are very courteous and good people so I'd like to recommend them to a place where they wouldn't be shunned because of how they or their children look.

Respect is also a reason I mentioned a low-crime area, as higher crime indicates a low level of both self-respect and mutual respect. Respect shows through actions and words, with out back-biting or foul play or gossiping in secret or forcing others to forfeit their livelihoods and ways of life. Now, I know that's not going to apply to everyone in a community, but it could be applied to most. That's the kind place I'm looking to recommend.

As an aside, if there are places you would NOT recommend, please PM me to let me know, as I'd be very interested to steer away from places that are close-minded to people different from them.

Let's be reasonable and stay on topic. If you want to discuss other affairs, please start another thread.

So far, I'm getting Clarksville and Nashville, with some specific areas. Any other suggestions?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:03 PM

215 posts, read 682,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrahMother View Post
So... Shifting back to the point of this thread.

Thank you for the genuine responses to the OP. To be absolutely clear, I am not looking to explore places that are just "diverse" or "multicultural." I am looking for suggestions of places that are RESPECTFUL of people different from them. My friends' families are a beautiful mixture of cultures, some indigenous aboriginals (ancestrally native to the various lands they're from) and some landed gentry, and all are very courteous and good people so I'd like to recommend them to a place where they wouldn't be shunned because of how they or their children look.

Respect is also a reason I mentioned a low-crime area, as higher crime indicates a low level of both self-respect and mutual respect. Respect shows through actions and words, with out back-biting or foul play or gossiping in secret or forcing others to forfeit their livelihoods and ways of life. Now, I know that's not going to apply to everyone in a community, but it could be applied to most. That's the kind place I'm looking to recommend.

As an aside, if there are places you would NOT recommend, please PM me to let me know, as I'd be very interested to steer away from places that are close-minded to people different from them.

Let's be reasonable and stay on topic. If you want to discuss other affairs, please start another thread.

So far, I'm getting Clarksville and Nashville, with some specific areas. Any other suggestions?
TerrahMother you might want to look at Whites Creek,TN (37189) as it might be what you're looking for.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:28 PM

Default Culturally Diverse

Another acquaintance just returned from Murfreesboro, and he recommended it for my list. Any ideas on this city? I've just researched quickly, and found it to be agreeable. But I'd like to hear from those who live there. May have to start another thread for this one.

My friends really like the Green Hills area because of the natural foods stores there (they're health foodies, even the baby, who turns up her nose at junk food). Looks like it's either Clarksville or west Nashville, with the possibility of Murfreesboro for now.

Still keeping an open mind to other areas, though.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:30 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,905,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
What are the qualifications for an area to not be meant to be culturally diverse? That seems like nonsense. I can't think of a single area in the Nashville area that isn't already culturally diverse. In fact, America itself is a product of cultural diversity. It started with British, French, Spanish, Dutch,African, etc and now especially in areas like Nashville, it's a mix of southern, northern, and western American cultures with the ever growing foreign born population.
The United States is 65% white, 16% hispanic, 13% black, and that leaves 6% for other...

Not really that culturally diverse...

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,905,322 times
Quote:
To be absolutely clear, I am not looking to explore places that are just "diverse" or "multicultural." I am looking for suggestions of places that are RESPECTFUL of people different from them.
Quote:
Looks like it's either Clarksville or west Nashville, with the possibility of Murfreesboro for now.
Chasing Evil: Tennessee: Murfreesboro Mosque the Target of Backlash

Old 02-28-2011, 04:38 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,847,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
The United States is 65% white, 16% hispanic, 13% black, and that leaves 6% for other...

Yeah but the 65% of white americans are pretty diverse themselves. Being born in another country, I don't find myself to be that culturally similar to an American born white citizen. I also find a fairly noticeable cultural difference between Northern and Southern whites...etc.

It's not like France where there is a huge solidarity in the idea of what it means to be French and most white citizens of France were born there, raised there, and share a common ancestry (whether technically true or imagined, lol).

Old 03-07-2011, 04:32 PM

TXRyan, the Mosque incident is important to note. From what I've read, however, this is not a representation of the community as a whole. Perhaps someone more closely related to this incident would care to comment (?).

Old 03-07-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

Although these figures depend on estimations surrounding census forms that were actually submitted, I see what you're getting at.

At the core of "cultural diversity" is really a mindset of acceptance and respect for others who are different and have different interests. A city with pretty balanced stats may contain people who create and protect invisible boundaries around their idea of their "own kind" and way of life. Whereas, a city with stats that reflect those you gave may have a genuinely hearty acceptance and friendship toward people who are different than they. I know several places in other states like this, and I was hoping for some similar suggestions in Middle Tennessee.

Although everyone (mostly) enjoys the company of others who look and act like they do, I might add that cultural diversity includes and involves much more than the people themselves. Great examples of how cultural diversity can be expressed: dance, music, architecture, school programs, community activities, and much more.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:44 PM

764 posts, read 2,551,333 times
Quote:
TXRyan, the Mosque incident is important to note. From what I've read, however, this is not a representation of the community as a whole. Perhaps someone more closely related to this incident would care to comment (?).
Let me put it this way - my mother is a 78 year old, white Christian southern woman with upstanding morals and very conservative. She feels the people building the mosque in M'boro have every right to do so and those opposing it are narrow-minded morons. She's also supports the rights of gays to marry. Oddly enough, she still disapproves of my occasional glass of wine, even as I approach 40. Bless her heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville