Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:54 AM

7 posts, read 12,009 times

Advertisements

Thanks nashvols and akm4, please do let me know about the ordinances if you find anything out. As far as what house I'd be looking for it would be a 3 bedroom, circa 1995 construction, open concept and wood floors are a major plus. Wood/brick isn't a big deal for me I do enjoy privacy so a wooded lot would be sought after, although; I don't know much about the vegetation, topology or other characteristics of surrounding Nashville to make an informed decision about the lot or area at this point.

Thanks again.... all y'all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 12:05 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,343,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MensaFool View Post
Thanks nashvols and akm4, please do let me know about the ordinances if you find anything out. As far as what house I'd be looking for it would be a 3 bedroom, circa 1995 construction, open concept and wood floors are a major plus. Wood/brick isn't a big deal for me I do enjoy privacy so a wooded lot would be sought after, although; I don't know much about the vegetation, topology or other characteristics of surrounding Nashville to make an informed decision about the lot or area at this point.

Thanks again.... all y'all
There is a ton of new construction in Williamson County -- unfortunately a lot of it is on former farmland, so not only is the beautiful farmland disappearing, but a lot of the lots do not have tons of trees.

That's not to say you can't find a wooded lot, though. Generally, most hillside lots have a lot of trees, as opposed to "bottom land" and hollows (hollers). A lot of the more established areas have full grown trees.

I would say, in general, you'll find more wooded lots in Brentwood rather than Franklin.

What kind of acreage are you looking for?

Old 02-23-2011, 12:17 PM

7 posts, read 12,009 times
I'd be looking for .5 - 1 acre for the yard + house and 1 - 2 acres of spotted trees. It floods a lot in Wisconsin so I'm somewhat apprehensive about living in a valley.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:16 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,343,869 times
Quote:
I'd be looking for .5 - 1 acre for the yard + house and 1 - 2 acres of spotted trees. It floods a lot in Wisconsin so I'm somewhat apprehensive about living in a valley.
So you're probably looking in the 2-3 acre range, then, right?

There are a few areas in Franklin that would fit that (look closer to hills). Brentwood has a bit to offer that fits that criteria, but again, it's more pricey (you're probably looking at more than $400,000....at least).

Other areas you might consider would be Forest Hills or Oak Hill (Davidson County)...they have a lot of wooded land and hills. That's a pricey area, too, though. As far as "privacy" goes, while still staying "convenient" to civilization, you can't beat that area IMHO. You would still be 20-30 minutes from Franklin, too.

Other areas to check around Williamson County would be the more rural areas like Arrington, Triune, and Nolensville (slightly more developed) on the east side of the county, or Burwood and Leipers Fork (very pretty area) on the west side. They won't be as pricey as Brentwood...but you'll be a little farther from civilization.

You might also check on the north side of town around the northern highland rim for more affordable properties...areas like Goodlettsville, Millersville, and so on. Only problem there is that you'll have a helluva commute to Franklin (closer to 1 hr).

As far as flooding concerns...we recently had a 1,000 year flood in the area (last May)...there is a .1% chance of that happening again...so I don't think I would consider all of the places that flooded to be "off limits" to consider. Still, you should look at flood plain maps, and not just take a Realtor's word for it. I would be very careful about choosing any flat property that is near a major stream or creek. Usually, if your house is 15-20 feet above a creek, you have no worries. You might consider higher if you would be close to a river (i.e. the Harpeth). Generally, it's just a good idea to live on the "high side" of the road, though. If you live on a hillside, you really don't have many concerns, other than in extremely heavy rains, there could be a chance of trees being uprooted and falling. That would really only be on the more extreme slopes, though (say, 45 degrees).

Old 02-24-2011, 01:29 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,791,154 times
If you're willing to spend $3,000 a month on rent you might as well move to San Francisco because to me, $3,000 a month renting in TN seems crazy high. I live in SF myself and pay less than that- and trust me- if you want liberal, San Fran is about as liberal as you can get...

Old 02-24-2011, 01:46 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,638,428 times
I asked about pits in Franklin and was told-

There are apt. complexes and HOAs that prohibit them, but no municipal ordinance preventing you from having them here. I didn't confirm this with the city, though.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:03 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,338,960 times
Quote:
Thanks, I've heard great things about the Nashville area which is why I chose to uproot from Wisconsin and head down there.
LOL, after reading your posts I thought, "this guy sounds like my kid" and now you say you're from WI too! We moved from the GB/Appleton area in 2006/7 and none of our 20-somethings chose to come along.

I really think you'd like East Nashville...and most of the young people who work at my hair salon live there and drive to Franklin for work, so it can't be that impossible.

Let us know what you decide! Good Luck!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 AM

374 posts, read 693,925 times
Another option, if you want privacy, trees, etc., is to consider a property that backs up to forested parkland (Lake Radnor--pricey, and Warner Parks--less pricey). We were initially looking for something similar but couldn't find the right house/lot combo so we chose a property that backs up to the Warner Reserve (virgin forest) acreage. We get the benefits without the care-taking and taxes. Unless of course you actually want to use the space for something other than ambiance.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:30 AM

228 posts, read 528,817 times
Alara is in a good spot for trips to Nashville and convenience to the modest/growing nightlife in Cool Springs. If you are looking for the yard and all of that.. Here are two fairly different options to consider (not properties that I represent, just sharing publicly available options). One is more country living and the other is down the street from the Alara properties in Cool Springs.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:25 PM

54 posts, read 139,843 times
Mensa, do you already have a job lined up in Franklin or did you choose the 30 min. radius from Franklin just because you like what you've read about it? For a pit owner I think East Nashville would be a great place for you. There's an East Nashville google group and you can find many posts about pits/adopting pits/sticking up for pits/dog park/lost dogs etc. However, attached garages in East Nashville aren't as common as they are in Franklin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville