Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 06:54 AM

10 posts, read 15,247 times

Advertisements

Here in the upper Midwest (IL) sump pumps mean security... they are routinely put into new homes as protection against a flood. I think the idea that they are only put in AFTER flooding occurs and that they imply a wet basement problem is erroneous. What you should look for in a basement is evidence of water damage on walls and floors and a musty smell. I am typing this in a house I've lived in for 9 years and the only flood that happened was prior to my purchase of it when the sump pump went OUT while the previous owners were out of town. I have a sump pump and a battery back up pump and in all these years have had not one drop of water in my basement in spite of lots of spring rain every year. So be happy if any house you are looking at has a pump already... it will save you money and worry in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 07:13 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,991 times
Honestly, basements are a rarity here in Middle TN. So not many sump pumps either.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:04 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,081 times
I agree with Country.

Besides, the kind of flooding we had wouldn't have been able to keep up with the water that some neighborhoods had.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:20 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Honestly, basements are a rarity here in Middle TN. So not many sump pumps either.
Weird how perception can make people see things differently. I'm 30 and the house I grew up in here had a basement so I assumed most homes did. As I got older I realized that basically every other house I went to (friends, family, whatever) didn't have them. They had "downstairs" but not an actual basement.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:56 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,991 times
This is the first house I've lived in without a basement. Storage Unit companies are really doing well here! I DO miss it. Such a wonderful hiding place for 'stuff'. I liberated all my 'stuff' from the storage unit where it had lived FAR too long for $100 a month and now it's in the garage. My car is NOT happy about it. I do MISS my basement.

I did look at some houses in Cincinnati before deciding on Nashville and MOST of those homes had basements but several were 'scary' ones . . . .

Old 08-25-2015, 12:03 PM

53 posts, read 76,167 times
Most of the homes in Nashville and surrounding area built before 1960 have basements, especially pre-1950 homes. Many of those homes come with sump pumps, as water can be an issue during heavy rains.

Google Earth is good way to check for homes that had water issues from the May 2010 flood. Use the historical feature to scan back in time, GE took a picture of the Nashville area the day after the flood.. It is easy to see where there was high water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville