Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 06:12 PM

31 posts, read 63,852 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...since we are considering a move to Franklin my mother is hoping to follow. Her needs are different than ours and so I was hoping you'd have some advice! My mom is in her early 50's, is single and has horses. She also works from home. She would love a horse property but not a huge farm to maintain...maybe about 5 acres max. She would just need a small but clean and low maintenance (so on the newer side) house with room for her office. Schools are not a concern for her. She'd like to spend no more than 250k. Any ideas for towns close to where we'll be in Franklin that would offer properties like that? Something rural and low crime? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 06:47 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
This one is a bit much for her probably, but it is an example of something with her parameters near Dickson:

RealTracs Mid-South Real Estate Property Finder Media Display

Here's another one that's not as cha-cha:

I would look at the Dickson/Burns/Bon Aqua area. I would suggest Fairview, but there is not much in that price range right now.

This is a pretty old (not historic) house in Nolensville with no barn, but the right acreage.

The problem with towns "near Franklin" is that you are talking about some of the most prime real estate in Middle Tennessee where music stars and gentleman farmers have invested, so the prices are premium. You may need to look in nearby counties like Hickman, Dickson or northern Maury, though Columbia does have more crime than I would be comfortable with.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:12 PM

31 posts, read 63,852 times
Thank you! The first one is most like what I think she'd like...just a little on the big side for one person. Would the towns near Franklin be in her price range if we just went for a house on a normal lot and then she just boards her horses elsewhere? We really want her to be no more than 15-20 minutes from us if possible! I'd love to have her right in Franklin but we'll see if we can work that out...she really like space and privacy!

Old 04-13-2011, 07:15 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The problem with towns "near Franklin" is that you are talking about some of the most prime real estate in Middle Tennessee where music stars and gentleman farmers have invested, so the prices are premium. You may need to look in nearby counties like Hickman, Dickson or northern Maury, though Columbia does have more crime than I would be comfortable with.
I think Hickman and Maury counties are the best suggestion...depending on if she minds a much more rural setting.

I think if you're looking for a "farm", then Columbia's crime isn't going to have much of an effect on you.

I would also look around Marshall County, and possibly even western Rutherford County or Bedford County.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:44 PM

164 posts, read 398,289 times
I would echo Rutherford County. There is some nice property in her price range out here and it's not a far drive to Franklin. DH and I travel there regularly. It is a pretty drive.

Don't know if I can give you this website but you can search by price, acreage, county, etc.

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder

Old 04-13-2011, 09:01 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_on_south View Post
Thank you! The first one is most like what I think she'd like...just a little on the big side for one person. Would the towns near Franklin be in her price range if we just went for a house on a normal lot and then she just boards her horses elsewhere? We really want her to be no more than 15-20 minutes from us if possible! I'd love to have her right in Franklin but we'll see if we can work that out...she really like space and privacy!
There is a ton of inventory of houses in and around Franklin. If you want to narrow it down, we would need to know the specs (BR/BA, price range etc). Plus Franklin has different areas, so we would need to know where you'll be in order to translate "15-20 minutes." Depending on the time of day, traversing Franklin east to west can be a challenge.

If she wants space and privacy, she would probably get an older home with a larger lot. Most of the newer homes in and around Franklin are 1/4 acre lots, which can be close together or full of families with kids. But it can be done.

Then you would have to research the whole horse-boarding issue, which is not my area.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:19 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,597 times
If she wants space and privacy, she would probably get an older home with a larger lot. Most of the newer homes in and around Franklin are 1/4 acre lots, which can be close together or full of families with kids. But it can be done.

Amen! Franklin is definitely kiddie-ville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville