Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 09:18 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times

Advertisements

firslty i want to say i hope EVERYONE in TN is safe tonight, after last nights storms and todays potential storms, i REALY hope everyone is safe and sound out there!

secondly i wanted to say, while i didnt meet any city-data folks (that i know of) THANK YOU all as a whole mid TN for being very welcoming!

we had a great time
saw some STUNNING countryside...

i never knew there were soo many cows in TN, LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
just beautiful.
we spent some time on the nanchez trace parkway too, what a beautiful parkway!
you guys have an awefull lot of natural and rural beauty down there.

i think i found my future mini farm, its a little house on 2.3 acres in lutts...yup, 100% in the middle of nowhere lol...and i LOVE it...
i just knew its the one when i stood on the back porch and nothing but the sound of birds, a rooster crowing in the neer distance and then a butterfly landed on me...i closed my eyes and took it all in and it felt right!
*fingers crossed*

we ate and caught a show at 3rd and lidsleys, saw broadway, whent to the zoo, hit the nashville farmers market, saw the opryland hotel, ate at a number of tiny dinners. saw buffalo!, and generally took the time to apreciate it.

i will admit last nights storms didnt worry me much, and i slept through most of the thunder and lightening...
but seeing the damage from twisters in AL has me a touch concerned...
i think building a storm shelter will be on the list lol.

flights home were a little crazy...
we got delayed comming out of nash thanks to a late arrival from chicago then a passing storm had the runway closed for a little while...
then we missed our connecting flight in chicago, so had to wait an hour for that (could have been worse) then the ramp there got closed for a short time, and we had the water hose stuck to the plane and had to wait for maintence to come out and get it unstuck LOL.
we did get home safe and sound just about 3 hours later than origioanlly planned.

im exhausted but i had a great time...

TN is stunning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 07:33 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,046 times
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time here in TN. I was thinking of you when the storms hit. I think it's better that you know what the weather can be like in a place you're thinking of moving to than to be surprised when move there. I agree that a storm shelter would be a good idea. I wish our home had come with one. I know I would have paid the builder extra if he put one in when constructed.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:29 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Sounds like you had a great visit, foxy. That's great! I'm glad you found something you liked. It also sounds like you had a good little adventure exploring the area.

The storms are a pretty regular thing, as is the moderate damage of wind, downed trees, etc. Most people don't experience the catastrophic damage we saw in Mississippi, Northern Alabama, Northern Georgia, and East Tennessee. However, like you said, building a storm shelter is definitely a consideration, just to be safe. If the home you are interested in has a basement or has rooms partially below ground, you might not have to invest in a storm shelter...but a storm shelter definitely gives you an extra element of security.

Thankfully Middle Tennessee was mostly spared from damage, as the heavy storms produced funnel clouds and wall clouds rather than tornado touchdowns.

I'm glad you were able to get back safely, even with a moderate delay.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:06 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
thanks guys, i realy did have a blast even with the storms, mum was a little frustrated with the delay (she wanted to get out before the second wave came through) but i figured id rather be safe than sorry so thank you to the airtraffic control and pilots for doing their job...i know working at an airport in general cant be an easy line of work.

the house i realy want doesnt have a basment...
and i REALY want a good root cellar, so i figured i could kill 2 birds with one stone, build a root cellar thats big enough to be a small storm shelter too... i like double duty rooms

Old 05-05-2011, 11:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Just found this. As you know I was very worried about you! I'm glad you found your piece of paradise. That area has some brutal storms and it will be much hotter than you are use to, but getting a root cellar is an excellent solution. I'm glad you had fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville