Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 04:47 PM

5 posts, read 10,609 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to Nashvegas...can you help me zero in on the areas we should look?

- $300k or less. 3+ bedrooms.
- Have young children, and I'd like to be reasonably close to Christian private elementary schools (Catholic, Protestant, Lutheran, it's all good).
- An hour or less to the airport. And I'll need to occasionally commute to the downtown/Ryman auditorium area.
- Prefer older/historic to new/subdivision.
- Love walkable, urban, pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods BUT...
- Would like a reasonably sized lot with a garage (.3 acre to heck, 3 acres). I'd like to be able to let the kids run and yell in the backyard. This is more important than being able to walk to shops and restaurants.
- Ideally, I'd like to live in-town, but if the backyard/garage isn't possible at the price range, what neighboring towns should I consider? In outlying areas, I'd prefer rural to suburban.

Many thanks for any advice you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 05:16 PM

722 posts, read 2,103,485 times
Hendersonville has a lot of older homes with huge yards.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:54 PM

Thanks, El Passeaux. I just took a look, and Hendersonville does look quite reasonable.
I am probably dreaming, but I think I'm looking for the feel of Germantown without the price tag. And I'll take it outside of Nashville, so long as it's within an hour of BNA.

Last edited by batsinthebelfry; 05-28-2011 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: corrected spelling.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:29 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,356,482 times
First thing that came to mind was Oak Hill...but I think that's a bit out of your price range. Still, you might look at some of the areas on the fringe (Melrose, Duncanwood, Crieve Hall, Belmont, etc).

Old 05-29-2011, 06:20 AM

569 posts, read 1,427,627 times
I live in East Nashville and you could get a lot of what you want here...especially if the kids are going to private school. But, I get the impression you are leaning more towards rural. My first thought was Springfield. There's a really nice district of historical houses and it's fairly inexpensive. Franklin would be great...but you wouldn't be able to buy anything close to downtown for that amount of money. Murfreesboro might also be a good choice....maybe even Clarksville? As far as a garage with a historic home...it just depends. A lot of people have already built them...but a lot haven't. We bought a house that doesn't even have a driveway, we have alley access and will be building a garage at some point. I think you could actually find what you're looking for, for 300k, in East Nashville though, if it's of any interest to you.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:48 AM

933 posts, read 2,745,807 times
I think the nicer areas of Inglewood (Winding Way Road area) would be a great place to look. Lots of big mature trees (at least the ones that didn't get blown down this spring, ha), very country feel and the lot sizes are bigger than other areas of East Nashville, but it's not quite as walkable as neighborhoods like Lockeland Springs and Eastwood Neighbors. Saint Josephs (A small private Catholic School) is right across Briley Parkway in Madison. I sent a reply to your message but didn't see this post first. Yeah, 300k should be able to find a nice place near the city. Good luck.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:58 PM

Man, you guys are fantastic!
If it were up to only me, East Nashville looks like my kind of place. However, my long-suffering husband would dearly love a garage and some outside space. We have not that nor the tiniest bit of privacy I so desperately want in our current house, though it is delightfully historic and in a walkable neighborhood.

Once upon a time we lived in Decatur, GA, which nicely combined much of the urban community, with the space and feel of a more rural area.

So...Springfield. What's it like? Welcoming to eccentric, bookish, musical types?

Old 05-30-2011, 06:33 AM

569 posts, read 1,427,627 times
Don't rule out East Nashville. You can still get some nice large lots. Like Yank said....some of those homes up near the river around Brush Hill and Winding Way have huge lots...and lots of trees.

Let me say this....I have no idea what your political leanings or anything like that are...but the farther you get from Nashville...the less progressive and more conservative it's going to be. I'm sure that Springfield will have some of the eccentric, bookish, musical types...but not sure how much. I think the population is maybe around 20k ? It's small and it's going to feel small. They do have a neat downtown and some really cool older homes. I just didn't want you to get too excited about the idyllic small town. There are some nice towns around...but they are what they are...and if that's what you're looking for you should check it out. Another thing about the historical houses in Springfield....I doubt that the lots are going to really be any bigger...maybe a little. Most historical houses around here are close to said city and have smaller lots.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:49 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,739,879 times
I would also look at West Meade. It has lots of older houses on 1+ acre lots. I think you would find plenty of eccentric, bookish, musical types in West Meade. It's right next to the most expensive area of Nashville, Belle Meade. There are great grocery stores and cute little shops in that area. Plus a Target and Costco.

I searched the 37205 zip up to $325,000 and got 53 results:
RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

There may also be another zip code for parts of West Meade, but I am not sure.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,102,269 times
Wow, those are some really nice houses! Love the yards! When my little yard gets filled up with Cicadas I might have to move there myself . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville