Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:32 AM

8 posts, read 12,729 times

Advertisements

Hi all --

My husband and I are almost certainly moving to Nashville at the end of July. (I've been offered a job, but there are a few more things to sort out before it's certain.) So while I've been reading the board a lot the past few months, I do have a few questions that I don't think have been answered, or at least not recently.

First of all, and most importantly, we need to find an apartment. I'm going to come down next weekend and look at places, but I'm trying to get a sense of the best way to do it. I'd be working by Vanderbilt, so I'm looking at the Gulch as a place to start (I've seen several posts for Velocity on Craigslist, and it looks great). Are there similar neighborhoods that I should be considering? Our price range is $1200 - $1400 for a one bedroom, safe neighborhood, etc. Since we plan to rent for a year or two and then buy a house, we'd like to be in a place where there are things to do close by and can enjoy the city. The Gulch is the only area I've seen that seems to fit, so that's why it's at the top of my list, but I haven't seen much of Nashville.

Also, what is the best way to find brokers to meet with next weekend? I'd like to see as many places as possible while we're there.

Second, are there upscale gyms in Nashville (like Equinox or Reebok in NYC)? Do the gyms generally have pools? The Downtown Y seems really nice, but that's all I've found so far. And also, what about places to practice yoga -- are there any favorites?

Finally, we'll need to buy cars. Do we need to have TN licenses to buy them? (I hope not, but in Georgia you do -- or did, in 2003.)

Is there anything else we should be thinking about? I know that all the little things will fall into place, but is there anything big that I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 10:46 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
I don't know of any brokers who do apartments BUT you can look on RealTracs.com and click on rental. The ones that come up probably have a contact person. Call and ask them?

For registering a car, I'm fairly certain you do NOT have to have a TN drivers license BUT you need to have proof of residency. Probably a utility bill, lease agreement . . here is a website. Look around:

Acceptable Identification for Obtaining Title and Registration (http://www.tennessee.gov/revenue/vehicle/titling/primaryid.htm - broken link)

The place where you get your drivers license is different than the place you register your car and get your plate AND before you go there you have to go get the Emissions Control Certificate. So this all takes place at 3 different locations.

Getting a DL is pretty easy. If you already have one from another state you don't need to take any tests. I guess, unless maybe you have a horrific driving record?

Going to be quite a change of pace for you! Good luck!

Old 06-30-2011, 11:00 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,684 times
The Gulch is a good place to start, Midtown, Hillsboro Village would be good places to consider, and closer to Vanderbilt.
Downtown Y is as upscale as you get, there are some private gyms in Brentwood/Franklin, but would be a 20 minute drive.
Plenty yoga here, there is a studio in the Gulch called Yoga Source, Hot Yoga and Pure Barre are very popular.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:35 PM

8 posts, read 12,729 times
Thanks!

Old 06-30-2011, 03:39 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
I would also look into Germantown. It's a neighborhood just north of downtown. It's a mix of townhomes, new low-rise condos, and factory loft conversions. I live in this neighborhood and love it. There's a couple restaurants, an Italian pasta shop, a cafe, and it is within walking distance of the Nashville Farmer's Market - a huge asset to the community. It's also very close to all the downtown action and nightlife. Here are some links.

HOME

Werthan Lofts : Germantown

Vista Germantown - Coming Soon

Old 06-30-2011, 09:13 PM

286 posts, read 699,470 times
Pros about Gulch:
- Velocity has a great pool overlooking the city.
- Short walk to good restaurants.

Cons about Gulch:
- Loud as hell. On weekends it draws Nashville equivalent of bridge and tunnel. Expect to hear pickup truck mufflers/rednecks honking/bass from ghetto rides. It's also near Radnor Yards so you hear trains coupling.

Gyms:
It's the Bible Belt so pretty much everyone goes to the YMCA. If you don't mind random Shimsham 3:14 Bible verses plastered on the wall then it's pretty nice. On Sundays, the hours are inconvenient because it's based around the "day of worship." Guess nobody told them them the original day of worship is Saturday. The only 24 hour gym is GoFitness, which leaves much to be desired.

If you don't know anyone moving here, then you are better off living in apartment/condos much closer to Vanderbilt. It will be easier to meet people, which for many Nashville transplants can be an issue.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:14 AM

584 posts, read 1,136,259 times
Velocity is having issues.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-...96060363774057

Old 07-01-2011, 08:50 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
Wow! I have only been here a year. Did these start out as condos?

Am sure there are lots of other places for the OP to rent. Velocity might not be the best choice at the moment.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:25 AM

15 posts, read 24,478 times
Seems to me that the residents should go about this another way. Posting negative things about the complex on facebook for all the world to see will, in my opinion, make their "investment" look worse. Look at the response here, if this becomes too public, NO ONE will want to buy there.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:25 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,451 times
Yeah, rednecks in pickups and ghetto rides.

I think your Gulch is different from my Gulch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville