Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,516 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am due to relocate to Nashville within two months, and I am needing to visit apartments and put down a deposit to secure the place. I am completely oblivious to the city, and have come to notice I was completely suprised when I visited the city. It is not how I pictured it to be...or like you'd think it to be...But I am sure I was just in the "wrong part of town."

I was extremely excited to be moving to Nashville as I am an avid fan of country music, very religious, traditional and family oriented. I enjoy going out and living in safe, "happening neighborhoods." I am by no means, "urban," however by no means "pretentious," either. Looking individuals who are more down to earth and mainstream; "possibly transplants from rural areas and demonstrate lifestyles which reflect such. "It has become apparent that Franklin would be my best bet, but it is a little distant and not much seemed to be going on there...

I would like to find a neighborhood or suburb within a somewhat, "20 minutes," commute to downtown that offers newer developed shopping and dining, either populated more so by families with young kids, or singles. Safety and curb appeal are very important to me. Not looking to pay high rent, but AGAIN, I am okay with a suburb and a commute.

I can't put my finger on where it is that I want to be in Nashville, but I can tell you where I DO NOT. Not looking for an area that is income restricted or Section 8. Also not looking for a congested area that has a lot of pedestrians are people who utilize public transportation. "As I find these areas to be older and more polluted."

Please no...Madison. I have also heard negative things about Anitoch.

Any genuine and thorough advice or shared experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 02:32 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1source View Post
I would like to find a neighborhood or suburb within a somewhat, "20 minutes," commute to downtown that offers newer developed shopping and dining, either populated more so by families with young kids, or singles. Safety and curb appeal are very important to me. Not looking to pay high rent, but AGAIN, I am okay with a suburb and a commute.

I can't put my finger on where it is that I want to be in Nashville, but I can tell you where I DO NOT. Not looking for an area that is income restricted or Section 8. Also not looking for a congested area that has a lot of pedestrians are people who utilize public transportation. "As I find these areas to be older and more polluted.".
I am thinking Bellevue, but you have some requirements that seem to contradict each other so it's difficult to pin down a place. It also would help to know what you think of in a "happening" neighborhood.

Also, one of the points of public transportation is to REDUCE pollution by taking cars off the road. And if you don't want to see a lot of pedestrians, you'll have vehicle congestion. Maybe you mean VISUAL pollution, or just dirty. If you don't want to be in a low-income neighborhood, that's fine. Just trying to translate your needs. The buses mostly service neighborhoods in Nashville, so looking at a suburb should eliminate the buses.

It sounds like you want to live in a traditional, family-oriented area that doesn't necessarily shut down at 9 p.m. Many of our suburbs do just that, but you also could look at Hendersonville or Mt. Juliet in the Providence area. Like I said, knowing what a "happening" area is to you will help.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:02 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,506 times
The Indian Lake area of Hendersonville sounds like it might fit your wish list. I would check out the Aventura Apartments. They are right across the street from both a city park and a fairly new outdoor shopping center called The Streets of Indian Lake. It's a 20 minute commute into downtown...without traffic.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:34 PM

3,046 posts, read 3,313,831 times
West Nashville may fit your "new development", Bellevue with an affordable apartments. Either would be 20-30 minutes from downtown. Access to Briley Parkway brings you to Opryland from there. In the winer months, the opry moves back downtown to the Ryman. You may already have access to WSM via online or Facebook.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:54 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,678 times
"People who utilize public transportation" is a hilariously vague criterion.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:25 AM

374 posts, read 693,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post

Hmmm, a creative euphemism for low-income and/or minority?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:27 AM

815 posts, read 2,018,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
I guess some people are just "better" than those types...

Old 09-15-2011, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 12,040 times
My wife and I are looking at Nashville in later October and your post was most helpful. Josef at Josefswell@yahoo.com Thanks a lot.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:29 AM

3 posts, read 4,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I guess some people are just "better" than those types...
Yes, I heard Anitoch was very rough.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:06 AM

91 posts, read 203,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1source View Post
Yes, I heard Anitoch was very rough.
Don't always believe what you hear...

Even the best, most expensive, neighborhoods have rough patches. However I don't believe you are looking to live in Nashville.

Indian lake area in Hendersonville, as previously mentioned, fits. Mt. Juliet seems like a good option too.

If you can get over the public transit, pedestrian traffic, and income restricted housing, East Nashville or Sylvan Park would both be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville