Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 07:22 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1coltsfan View Post
I totally understand your reasoning behind the suburb theory. However, Sumner County is growing at a rapid rate and is poised to have 120,000 by 2025. I think we could support a few locally owned nicer sit down restaurants. Nana Rosa was a fabulous place until it closed. Always packed. We went for Valentines Day last year and they had people seated basically on top of one another and had tables set up in the most obscure places. I do hope a few more places will open soon. We absolutely hate Cheddars, O'Charleys and Chilis and never eat there. However, we will go to Saks Deli, Cafe Rakka, Soapillas and Carabbas all day long. I was told by the owner of Mirka Pasta they were opening in Hendersonville within the next year.

On another note, I heard today from someone at my salon a new upscale clothing boutique was opening within a few months. I guess it will carry Green Hill brands at a major discount. Should be interesting.
I hope you're right. I think the best case and realistic scenerio is that Indian Lake becomes a Cool Springs lite. There's no shortage of run-of-the-mill chains in Cool Springs, but you also find a healthy number of local options there too. And you bring up a good point to Nana Rosa, which I almost mentioned in my other post. That restaurant did wonders for the Walton Ferry commercial area and now you're starting to see a thriving small business district there. (Highly recommend Windy City Pizza and G's Butcher Shop, by the way) So I don't mean to say all hope is lost, but it certainly is annoying to see only big bland chains come in.

The clothing boutique sounds interesting. Any idea if it was in the Streets or somewhere else? The French Shoppe has had some staying power in Hendersonville and is now in the Streets from what I understand. So maybe there's an appetite for upscale fashion here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakaveli View Post
i think i've ranted in the past about all the chains in hendersonville so i won't do it again. but i will say that i still don't understand why people in places like hendersonville choose cheddar's over an independent alternative.

gallatin's square is screaming for restaurants/bars but they don't last. that area should be bustling.
You're right about Gallatin. I believe in 10 years the square will be a scaled back, organic and thriving version of what the Streets of Indian Lake is designed to be: a self-contained retail/restaurant community. Larriviere's did well there until it closed (from what I heard it was legal issues, not lack of sales). Pizza Machine seems to hold its own in a more secluded part of the square. Again, I point to the Walton Ferry area of Hendersonville as a great example of how a subpar strip mall area can turn into something more. I think that same recipe could happen in Gallatin's square as well. And it would have the benefit of being pedestrian friendly too! Imagine summer evenings, strolling on the square...etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 08:09 AM

99 posts, read 230,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I hope you're right. I think the best case and realistic scenerio is that Indian Lake becomes a Cool Springs lite. There's no shortage of run-of-the-mill chains in Cool Springs, but you also find a healthy number of local options there too. And you bring up a good point to Nana Rosa, which I almost mentioned in my other post. That restaurant did wonders for the Walton Ferry commercial area and now you're starting to see a thriving small business district there. (Highly recommend Windy City Pizza and G's Butcher Shop, by the way) So I don't mean to say all hope is lost, but it certainly is annoying to see only big bland chains come in.

The clothing boutique sounds interesting. Any idea if it was in the Streets or somewhere else? The French Shoppe has had some staying power in Hendersonville and is now in the Streets from what I understand. So maybe there's an appetite for upscale fashion here.

You're right about Gallatin. I believe in 10 years the square will be a scaled back, organic and thriving version of what the Streets of Indian Lake is designed to be: a self-contained retail/restaurant community. Larriviere's did well there until it closed (from what I heard it was legal issues, not lack of sales). Pizza Machine seems to hold its own in a more secluded part of the square. Again, I point to the Walton Ferry area of Hendersonville as a great example of how a subpar strip mall area can turn into something more. I think that same recipe could happen in Gallatin's square as well. And it would have the benefit of being pedestrian friendly too! Imagine summer evenings, strolling on the square...etc.
We have found ourselves spending more time on the "other" side of town lately ( Walton ferry area). We love the new butcher shop and there's a cute little home store that just opened up by them. I heard the cheesecake place was planning on going in where Nana Rosa used to be, but changed their minds. I do hope another local restaurant goes in. I never heard anything more about Neighbors opening.

As a woman, I most definitely agree with you there is a market for upscale clothing here. All my friends dress in designer clothing and I see women in it anytime I'm out and about...whether at Target or on a date with my husband at Carrabbas. I heard Stadium drive was where this new shop would be...could be an interesting location, but if that area is getting a makeover, could be an ok location. I know Black Dog is on that end and is booming.

Also, heard the Kmart center was going to be totally rehabbed in the next year.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1coltsfan View Post
We have found ourselves spending more time on the "other" side of town lately ( Walton ferry area). We love the new butcher shop and there's a cute little home store that just opened up by them. I heard the cheesecake place was planning on going in where Nana Rosa used to be, but changed their minds. I do hope another local restaurant goes in. I never heard anything more about Neighbors opening.
I think the cupcake/bakery went in next to the butcher shop which I think combined would be the square footage of Nana Rosa's former footprint. As much as we used to go to Nana Rosa's it's strange, but I'm having a hard time remembering exactly where their door was and where their footprint was. Is that the cheesecake place you're talking about or are you talking about Randy's Cheesecake on Stadium Drive?

Quote:
As a woman, I most definitely agree with you there is a market for upscale clothing here. All my friends dress in designer clothing and I see women in it anytime I'm out and about...whether at Target or on a date with my husband at Carrabbas. I heard Stadium drive was where this new shop would be...could be an interesting location, but if that area is getting a makeover, could be an ok location. I know Black Dog is on that end and is booming.
That area back there reminds me just a little of Berry Hill...lots of small businesses using remodeled homes. I could see that working back there. It's probably far cheaper rent-wise than anything near Indian Lake and might work with the day spas, etc. that are already in that area.

Quote:
Also, heard the Kmart center was going to be totally rehabbed in the next year.
That is great news. I hope they waylay that entire area and start from scratch. Such potential there, but such an eyesore now. I can't imagine how they could rehab it without doing a near complete demolition of K Mart, the strip mall, and adding in buildings on the parking lot.

Last edited by DonCorleone; 12-12-2013 at 08:45 AM..

Old 12-16-2013, 11:05 PM

256 posts, read 482,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakaveli View Post
...gallatin's square is screaming for restaurants/bars but they don't last. that area should be bustling.
I agree, it should be busting out at the seams. There's a ton of lawyer's in and around the square though which takes up space. Also as hard as it is to believe, parking can be a challenge. Nothing like Nashville, but nothing like Franklin either. The Depot (on W Eastland Ave next to the RR tracks) is screaming to be a Brewery or some other unique food fair.

I love to see a Brewery (Similar to Fat Bottom) come into Gallatin or Hendersonville. After learning about distribution challenges/limitations, I can see why they all pretty much operate in Davidson County. The brewer can only self distribute in the county the beer is produced in. Pairing up with a Distrbutor is like signing a pac with the devil because it become a partnership. So for the small guys, self distributing is the only way to go cost wise.

I also wonder if one of the reasons restaurants in the square struggle is because people around Gallatin go to Hendersonville, but not likewise?

I find myself shopping in Hendersonville more than Gallatin, even for just the basics.

Case in point take Walmart and Target.

A. Gallatin doesn't have a Target
B. The Walmart in Hendersonville is larger, has more items for sale (wider selection), and at times cheaper prices than the Gallatin store.

I do want to give the Mayor Graves (or whomever proposed the idea) some credit though, it appears with Christmas season here, she's been pushing to shop local in Gallatin.

See recent flyer that was bundled in with the utilities bill last month.
http://www.gallatin-tn.gov/wp-conten...2013-2page.pdf

Old 12-29-2013, 09:57 PM

722 posts, read 2,101,407 times
this isn't the most exciting news but stopped in bojangles for a try today and it was doing some steady business and noticed the Dunkin Donuts is open as well, just after the Taco Bell in front of Home Depot in the new shopping plaza.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:17 AM

Also, Windy City Pizza is moving to Indian Lake, over by Shane's Rib Shack from what I understand.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:17 AM

Confirmed new development in Kmart shopping mall: LA Fitness, Marshall's, a new pet store and Sprouts Organic mArket.
A Krispy Kreme is also opening by Publix

Old 01-09-2014, 09:45 AM

Saw that in the Tennessean today and was going to post it here too. Sprouts isn't Trader Joe's, but it'll do. I'm not blown away by the new development but I am happy they're moving forward and just about anything is better than what's there now.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:47 PM

369 posts, read 942,703 times
never heard of sprouts but it sounds like a decent alternative since we're not getting a whole foods.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:15 PM

I looked it up online and read reviews and I'm actually pretty excited about it. In areas where there are all options to choose from, lots of people state they prefer this over Trader joes and Whole Foods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville