Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 01:54 PM

9 posts, read 13,546 times

Advertisements

My father is looking at a job in Nashville, and there is a strong possibility that he will take it. We currently live in Maryland but used to live in Columbia, South Carolina so I feel like Tennessee will be quite similar, and have that southern feel.

What are areas you would recommend to look for houses? We are looking at 300k for a place, which compared to MD is an amazing difference! Just browsing some real estate sites returned amazing results, we don't know anything about the neighborhoods though. Any crime "areas" we should be worried about? We aren't suburbia people so not too worried about petty crime and such. Also, what is there to do? I'm sure downtown Nashville has plenty of bars and live music, anything besides downtown though?

And lastly,how is the car scene? My dad and I are huge gearheads

Cheers guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 03:08 PM

701 posts, read 2,030,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KriskoBG View Post

Well, Nashville was rated "Manliest city" in some study recently. I think you'll be fine with the car thing

Old 11-11-2011, 11:48 AM

9 posts, read 13,546 times
No one? :\

Old 11-11-2011, 12:18 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
No one? :\
The answers to your questions can be found in other threads. You can do a search, or just browse the Nashville forum and you'll see lots of information. And welcome to Tennessee!

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 11-11-2011, 12:24 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Based on your post, I was thinking you would want a larger lot. I mean, since you are gearheads, do you have some "fun" cars you need to store, or do you need lots of room to work on cars? That made me think you'd want at least an acre or so, rather than a subdivision with a quarter acre lot and front-facing garage where all your stuff is in plain view. Or is that not a consideration?

If you want to be close to the Nashville action, you might try parts of Donelson, like Lincoya Estates, or Inglewood, which are established parts of town with older homes.

West Meade, on the west side of Nashville, has the same type of houses. Other areas that came to mind are parts of Bellevue and Hermitage.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:37 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
What are some other priorities for you? Schools? Neighborhoods you can walk in? Urban/Suburban/Rural?

There's lots to do in Nashville besides the bars/honkytonks downtown. Give us an idea of what you are interested in and we can toss a few back at you.

I think there's a good chance you'll find plenty of other gearheads around town. I know every Friday night during the summer there is a car club that meets in Hendersonville at the Glenbrook shopping center. Lots of older cars. And by "lots" I mean anywhere from 50-150. They're kind of annoying sometimes...like kids cruising the mall.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:55 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
My father is looking at a job in Nashville, and there is a strong possibility that he will take it. We currently live in Maryland but used to live in Columbia, South Carolina so I feel like Tennessee will be quite similar, and have that southern feel.

What are areas you would recommend to look for houses? We are looking at 300k for a place, which compared to MD is an amazing difference! Just browsing some real estate sites returned amazing results, we don't know anything about the neighborhoods though. Any crime "areas" we should be worried about? We aren't suburbia people so not too worried about petty crime and such. Also, what is there to do? I'm sure downtown Nashville has plenty of bars and live music, anything besides downtown though?

Cheers guys
You're not suburbia people and not worried about petty crime...does this mean you would rather be closer in to town?

$300k is above the average for house values across most of the city as well as the suburbs...so you have a lot of options. Most areas with $250-350k homes are pretty safe, even closer to town. I can't think of any areas in that price range that I would say are "crime areas"...but some, especially in the older, more historic areas of town are adjacent to areas with higher crime.

As far as things to do, downtown is definitely the entertainment hub of the city...and it's not really close (unless you are entertained by shopping). The sports venues and the majority of major music venues can be found in and around downtown.

Each area of town has its own commercial areas, though (as well as the suburbs)...so there are some bars (some that play music), restaurants, as well as festivals and other things that go on elsewhere around town...but a lot of those areas are pretty spread out and in strip malls or suburban style retail development. Notable exceptions to that in Nashville would be Hillsboro Village (near Vanderbilt), East Nashville (though not in a great concentration, there are plenty of bars/restaurants spread throughout the hood), Sylvan Park/West Nashville, and Germantown (just north of downtown).

Downtown Franklin is the obvious exception for the suburbs. In fact, despite being suburban, Franklin/Brentwood have quite a bit to do.

Besides music and bars, there are also two decent size lakes close to town, so if you are into boating or watersports, there's something to do there. There are also a good number of parks and opportunities for hiking, watching wildlife, and even canoeing in the area. Nashville also has about the arts offering you would expect from a city of 1.5 million (preforming arts, a great children's theater, a couple of art museums, and a very good symphony). Really, unless you are just used the entertainment options in a very large city, Nashville has plenty to do.

I can't really speak for the car scene...but I'm sure there are a fair number of gearheads here.

As far as where exactly you want to live...what are you looking for?
-new construction vs. old construction?
-are sidewalks important?
-size of yard (1/8 acre? 1/4 acre? 1/2 acre? 1+ acres?)
-are schools important?
-proximity to commercial/retail districts?
-proximity to the interstate?
-distance to downtown (mileage or time)? Would you prefer living in the city, or in the suburbs?
-what sort of people people do you envision yourself living around (conservative/liberal? young families or professionals w/o kids or empty nesters? more or less ethnically diverse?) or is that a consideration?

These types of choices can help us narrow down potential areas that would suit your needs.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:59 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I think there's a good chance you'll find plenty of other gearheads around town. I know every Friday night during the summer there is a car club that meets in Hendersonville at the Glenbrook shopping center. Lots of older cars. And by "lots" I mean anywhere from 50-150. They're kind of annoying sometimes...like kids cruising the mall.
You know, you reminded me of something, Don. There do seem to be a lot of car shows that come through town. It's definitely not that uncommon to see groups of older cars around town from time to time. I think they had a pretty big show downtown in the stadium lot not too long ago, if I'm not mistaken.

OH, and for car lovers, you MUST check out the Lane Motor Museum for a wonderful selection of unique cars from around the world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville