Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 12:51 AM

12 posts, read 84,649 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I might attend the graduate school at MTSU, but I need to think about my other choices. I am concern the most about the safety at Murfreesboro for two reasons. First, I will relocate with my wife and children. Second, I heard that Murfreesboro full of gangs and it is extremely dangerous. Third, we are Arab Muslims.

I tried city data page, but it seems not trustworthy. It shows that 75% white and 16% black people living in Murfreesboro. And that is not an issue, but a friend has told that that the black people there more than 50%. So, I think all the crime record in city data not correct.

Is the people there at Murfreesboro racist? Is it safe town? Is it true that there are many racist people in Nashville? Are they open to foreign students?

Please share your experience with me.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 02:13 AM

215 posts, read 682,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Damn_ View Post
Is the people there at Murfreesboro racist?
It's unlikely you'll find anyone there reacting negatively over someone's racial background.
Quote:
Is it safe town?
Mostly, but it can still depend on the neighborhood.
Quote:
Is it true that there are many racist people in Nashville?
Same answer as the top.
Quote:
Are they open to foreign students?
Yes, click here to see!

Last edited by goodman2; 11-17-2011 at 02:54 AM.. Reason: Wanted To Change Something

Old 11-19-2011, 07:34 PM

12 posts, read 84,649 times
Thanks man,

I appreciate your helpful comment.

Murfreesboro is a very small town, who come there is a dangerous and safe places?

Old 11-19-2011, 07:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Murfreesboro is not a small town. It has nearly 110,000 people, and is the seat of Rutherford County's government.

If you are being serious and not trolling, then you should educate yourself about the recent controversies in Murfreesboro regarding the growth of Islam in the area:

Murfreesboro Mosque Controversy Sparks Islamophobia, Threats And Vandalism (VIDEO)

Of course, what happens off campus can be very different from what happens on campus, and you can run into prejudice in every city and every state. But given the recent cultural climate in Murfreesboro, if you have other options, you should look at those.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:08 PM

216 posts, read 346,724 times
Default What happened to texas, _Damn_?

Hi guys,

I am an international student, from far away country, and I am moving to Texas to complete my graduate study.

Yet, I have three options:
UTSA: San Antonio
Texas State: San Marcos
Lamar: Beaumont

I am mostly concern about racism and how dangerous is the city.

I heard a lot about Texas, and I am afraid that I will get stacked in the worst part of it.

Where is the safest place of these three cities, and Where is the more accepted for forigner?

I appreciate your help.

and

Hello guys,

I am planing to move to San Antonio, still, I have many things to consider before I make a final decision.
My wife will be attending UTSA while I should attend the graduate school at Texas State University, San Marcos.
Some people told me that the traffic horrible in San Antonio and it would take more than one hour just to get out of San Antonio, others had told me that it won't take more than 40 to get to San Marcos.
From the route showing in the following link:
Texas State University-San Marcos, 601 University Dr, San Marcos, TX 78666-4684 to 528 Southtrail Dr, San Antonio, TX 78216 - Google Maps

How long do you think it takes to get to San Marcos? and would the traffic be an issue? since the speed limit in TX high way 80 as I heard.
Do you think the traffic on TX-1604 LOOP is normal, if I plane to drive from UTSA to San Marcos?

Please help me to have a clear idea about the situation there.

Did all of that completely fall through in the last 10 days?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:24 PM

82 posts, read 167,591 times
My daughter attends MTSU in Murfreesboro and im often there every month. Im only a three and a half hour drive away in suburban Atlanta. The controversy over the Mosque issue is sprewed by narrow minded people who have little understanding except being misled by racist fears in the media.

Murfreesboro is a nice town and it is booming. It's now a suburb of greater Nashville. Metro Nashville is becoming very diversified with thousands of latino's, blacks, africans, arabs, indians an others moving in. Some people have racial fears of other people, but change is imminent. Murfreesboro is not so small anymore. In the 1960's it was just a country town of 18,000 people. Now it's about 110,000 people with two malls and new homes ,stores, hospitals, going up everywhere. It's just mostly a small group of backward narror minded people who dont want to see change. But change is going to come with or with out them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville