Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 08:47 PM

274 posts, read 998,262 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

It's been awhile since I posted back on here, but I've been searching for townhome threads in Nashville in this forum but couldn't find too much information. As of this past Thursday, I've officially been a resident of Nashville for 2 years and do not regret moving here one bit. I appreciate everyone's input previously that have helped me greatly getting situated here.

That said, I had to renew my lease at my current apartment but of course the rent's gone up but to the threshold where it's time to look to buy instead of rent. Rather than throwing money away at rent, I feel it'd be more worthwhile to get some equity through a mortgage so my mind is made up. With my traveling schedule, it makes more practical sense for me to purchase a townhome versus a single family house so that's what I'm looking at right now. I figure once I settle down I'll purchase an actual house then rent out this townhome. So I've resigned my lease for another year, giving myself some buffer time to hopefully square everything away with paperwork, processing and getting approvals on becoming a first time home buyer.

I don't have the slightest clue in terms of what the starting point would be, except that I would probably need a preapproval to see what I could afford so any additional help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also know that condos and townhomes have HOA fees that fluctuate and depending where you live can be pricey in addition to the monthly mortgage payment.

Here's my very initial and basic criteria for a townhome:
  • Attached garage
  • Hardwood floors
  • High ceilings
  • Newer modern/contemporary unit (recently built)
  • Reasonable distance from airport
  • Looking for multi-floor unit (not a flat)
  • At least 2 BR/2 Baths
  • Safe location and decent HOA fees (for what it covers)
At this point, I'm keeping all options and suggestions open just to see what's all out there then I'll start my narrowing of my searches. I currently live in the Nippers Corner area and love the location for easy access to everything (downtown, airport, shopping, etc). I'd like to stay around that area, but I'm open to wherever if it meets my criteria.

Not exactly sure of price range just yet, but I'd say anywhere from $160-200K. I'm hoping to find something decent in that range. I've done very basic google searches around and found some places that were in that range and what I was looking for, but many are sold out already so I'm kind of getting worried. I want to start doing some research and homework first before talking to realtors because I do not want to be spammed by all properties that are beyond what I can afford. I'm not sure what all the good townhome locations you all would recommend... I know there are some good ones out there - at least I hope

In trying to plan ahead, I'm hoping that I can find something decent and lock in to a townhome before my new lease (which starts next month) expires. I very much appreciate your comments and suggestions. I'm open to any input that you may have based on your experiences too!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 09:28 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
One complex that I love is Brentwood Villa. It is kind of hidden up the hill behind the Shoney's on OHB. It's not exactly new, but it is very nice, secluded and safe. Not sure about the garage. The listing says "Parking Capacity: 2," but that could be parking spaces.

RealTracs Mid-South Real Estate Property Finder Listing Details

Have you checked Townhomes at Frederickburg right up the street from you? They are more traditional and have a little more carpet, but they all have garages:

RealTracs Mid-South Real Estate Property Finder Listing Details

Old 07-15-2012, 08:23 PM

Thanks, I didn't know about the RealTracs website. I'll look into that. The Nippers Corner/Brentwood area would be the primary area I'd like to live in, but at this point right now I'm open to see what is out there that is considered safe, decent and affordable.

I don't mind a little carpet but I do prefer hardwood floors. It seems from my initial look online, most newer places come standard with that and "granite" countertops. Some places that I've seen was Oak Hill (which appears to have decent apartment complexes) and some in Lenox Village.

Does anyone have any information on the range of HOA fees depending on certain locations and what they cover? I know it does fluctuate but I can't imagine it being too similar to that of consistent rent increases year to year.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:01 PM

Sorry to revive this thread, but I've done a little early searching and would like some input. Some townhomes for sale that caught my eye were these:

Oak Hill (these look the newest and literally right across the street from me, but not sure what HOA covers)
The Highlands
Townhomes at Woodbury Falls Ct
Townhomes at Traemoor Village
Lennox Village Townhomes

I've used Trulia to see some pictures and additional details. I've been reading up on the arguments on school systems in Davidson County, but per greatschools.com these ones are around average to low school systems. I personally do not have any children, but I know the surrounding school districts are huge when it comes to resale value.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on these? Please let me know if there are any other places you guys would suggest too! TIA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: