Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 06:58 AM
anz anz started this thread

27 posts, read 97,800 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have finally decided that we are moving down to Spring Hill from Buffalo. Most likey in the next 18-24 months (she wants to finish school). I am wondering how the School system in Williamson County is with children with autism. I have a 14 year old son with Aspsergers Syndrowm. He is high functioning, but he is timid. We have had several bulling incidents at his school and to be honset I was not very happy with how they were handled. He is a very meek kid, but well behavied and good natured, when you can get him to talk. He is not nasty to anyone. However he is socially awkward and sometimes does not know how to act in a social environment. The girls really like him (that is usually the case with someone like him). I guess my question is does the Williamson County School have a bulling ploicy in place? Also is there any places for new families to meet locals and start new friendships, or where kids can make new friends. I have 3 children ages 14, 12 and 10. I guess I will have more questions when (and I hope) the move gets closer.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 07:10 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Yes, there is an anti-bullying policy in place. I know at my elementary school, for example, the PTO spends $3K-$4K per year on anti-bullying programs. The kids discuss it all the time in guidance classes, and the high schools and middle schools also address it multiple times in multiple ways.

Your first step should be to go to the link below and get in touch with the folks there. They offer school info as well as parent support groups.

wcsLink.org | Connecting Special and Gifted Education Families, Educators, and the Community in Williamson County | Tennessee

If you live in Spring Hill, you will be zoned to either Summit or Independence High. You could contact the principals there once you narrow down a neighborhood and interview them about their policies as well.

http://www.wcs.edu/shs/ Summit High

http://www.wcs.edu/ihs/ Independence High

There also are about a million ways to volunteer in the schools, which will help you get to know the staff and students so you will have a better grasp of who your kids are around all the time.

In the end, of course, people are human, and kids do not always treat each other kindly. After 12 years in this school system, however, I feel like this system does as good a job of promoting "right" behavior as they can.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 AM

32 posts, read 135,028 times
I have 2 young sons (4 and 2) with autism. I might suggest your wife join musiccitymoms.net. It's is a wonderful community of moms. They sometimes schedule meetups. It's not a special needs group, but a moms group. Great place to ask questions or just vent sometimes. Moms on there are not nasty either like some other forums. Even though their may be different opinions (like perhaps a topic on politics,) they are very respectful of each other. Good luck in the move and finding your family's way.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:27 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,544,412 times
My son was diagnosed with ASD this summer. I've found the WCS responsive and I left my IEP meeting wonder if I asked for enough because they gave me everything I wanted for him (I think I was being reasonable--I didn't ask for an aide or anything too expensive).

I don't know how it is in the older grades, but most of the kids I know in middle and high school seem very sweet and well-grounded.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:24 AM

Thanks, for the help. I plan on comming down in the early spring (March or April) depending how the weather is in Buffalo. I will start researching schools, jobs and places to live. I'm sure I will have more questions in the up comming months.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:03 PM

Well my wife sounds like she might want to start looking into the area soon. I noticed that the City of Brentwood is giving the firefighters exam. I'm a firefighter outside the City of Buffalo and I'm thinking of applying to take the exam. Can anyone tell me how many firefighters Brentwood might look to hire? I would love to work down there as a firefighter, but I also have experience in the health care industry in QA/QC.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:31 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anz View Post
Can anyone tell me how many firefighters Brentwood might look to hire? I would love to work down there as a firefighter, but I also have experience in the health care industry in QA/QC.
I know someone who works over there. The deadline to apply is coming up next month. They may hire a couple over the next year.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 09-27-2012 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-11-2013, 10:45 AM

OK, it looks like things are moving forward with moving down to Spring Hill. I will be visiting in early May. I will be back in July with my family looking for places to live. I have a couple of questions that may sound dumb, but are a conerns for my wife.
1. Is there anyone out there from Buffalo? If so, how do you like living is Spring Hill vs. Buffalo?
2. How long does it take to adjust? Ill be honest my wife would like to know someone when we move down (besides her dad) to help with being home sick.
3. Are there places we can go to meet people with children? I have a 13 yo son, 12 yr. daughter and 10 yo daughter. My son is high functioning autism. My oldest daughter is very quit and my 10 yo daughter is VERY outgoing. she will not have a problem making friends.
Thanks in advance. Looking forward to the responses.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:49 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,408 times
Well, it's certainly going to be WARMER here . . winter doesn't last long. You won't need all those blankets and sweaters and boots!

I think a good place to meet people is the local Y. I don't think Spring Hill has one yet. There is one in Columbia to the south:

Maury County Family YMCA

Or Franklin to the north:

Franklin Family YMCA

My sister just moved here from Florida and her older daughter joined a 'leaders club' at the Y and it opened all sorts of doors for her socially.

Or there is the Rec Center:

Longview Recreation Center • Facilities &amp Parks • Williamson County Parks & Recreation

Good luck!

Old 04-05-2013, 11:17 AM

Looking for information about Independence HS. I have researched it a little bit and the comments I have read say that Independence only cares about state test scores (we have the same problem in Buffalo). I have also read that it is very cliquey. My question is how are they with kids with Autism? My son has Aspergers and struggles in some subjects (mainly math). He is very bright in electronics and is a very good kid. I know the comments are only peoples opinions, but we are trying to find the best fit for my kids.

Last edited by anz; 04-05-2013 at 11:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville