Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 09:43 AM

6 posts, read 15,476 times

Advertisements

Our first glimpse at the final SoBro master plan | nashvillepost.com

What's ya'lls thought on this? I like the over all idea of adding a more walk-able area in So-Bro, especially with the Music City Center and the 8 hotels either being built or will be built in the area.

Is it just me or is the city planning way to many things at once? Fairground, Charlotte corridor, and now this..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 03:24 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,351,815 times
I would much rather our city over-plan than under-plan.

Much of it will never come to fruition, or will be modified with the changing principles of development. But I think it's generally a good thing to have a pretty clear vision of where you want the city to go. It's the concept of the development...not necessarily the specifics on how it will look. The lack of vision we have had in the past is a lot of the reason we have so many problems today.

I think it's also a sort of way the city is telling developers and property owners "this is what we want, and this is where we want it to go." It's not really something that you should expect will take place in the next few years. It's taken places like Rolling Mill Hill a couple of decades of planning and it's really only halfway there.

And those are only a few parts of it. The Plan of Nashville came out about a decade ago, and it has provided a good base for most of these types of things. And while most of the plans are more urban and deal with the core city area, there are actually some (such as transportation planning) that deal with a much more broad area.

But as to the SoBro plan specifically...I like a lot of the ideas. I like, as I said, the concept. More density (and height) in the convention city area, more open and park space, better connections (Division extension and Gulch pedestrian bridge), more of a neighborhood feel for Lafayette (though I think that part of the project is at least a decade away from even beginning). I think some of the infrastructure needs to be put in place (some street improvements, utilities, sidewalks)...but I feel this is going to be a long and relatively slow overall process.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:08 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,994,188 times
Talking about aggressive planning. This is very exciting for Nashville.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:33 PM

813 posts, read 2,034,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I would much rather our city over-plan than under-plan.

Much of it will never come to fruition, or will be modified with the changing principles of development. But I think it's generally a good thing to have a pretty clear vision of where you want the city to go. It's the concept of the development...not necessarily the specifics on how it will look. The lack of vision we have had in the past is a lot of the reason we have so many problems today.

I think it's also a sort of way the city is telling developers and property owners "this is what we want, and this is where we want it to go." It's not really something that you should expect will take place in the next few years. It's taken places like Rolling Mill Hill a couple of decades of planning and it's really only halfway there.

And those are only a few parts of it. The Plan of Nashville came out about a decade ago, and it has provided a good base for most of these types of things. And while most of the plans are more urban and deal with the core city area, there are actually some (such as transportation planning) that deal with a much more broad area.

But as to the SoBro plan specifically...I like a lot of the ideas. I like, as I said, the concept. More density (and height) in the convention city area, more open and park space, better connections (Division extension and Gulch pedestrian bridge), more of a neighborhood feel for Lafayette (though I think that part of the project is at least a decade away from even beginning). I think some of the infrastructure needs to be put in place (some street improvements, utilities, sidewalks)...but I feel this is going to be a long and relatively slow overall process.
Well said. I would be way more concerned if we were not investing in planning. I'm impressed with this plan. I really hope we can get the pedestrian bridge connecting the Gulch and SoBro done in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville