Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 03:01 PM

278 posts, read 435,107 times

Advertisements

My yard is on a slope, like many other people who live in Nashville. It makes it so complicated to landscape!

I absolutely love my house, but I hate my yard. The front yard is okay - landscaped well from a previous owner. But the back yard is just awful.

The back yard has a somewhat steep slope, and goes up to the edge of some woods - which is part of my property - but not cleared out yet.

So my questions are a few here:
1. Who is a good, solid contractor for deck building purposes (also - affordable would be nice)?
2. Do I need a permit? (I live in that dreaded Brentwood section of Davidson County - so no one really claims us!)
3. Any ideas how much a 12X20 addition to my existing rear deck would cost?
4. Anyone know of a good, affordable landscape architect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 03:23 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
If you're in Davidson County, you are claimed. Your contractor should be able to handle the permits for anything needed.

Landscaping issues can definitely be tough. Find your property lines and clear what you want. You can do that yourself if you have a chainsaw and some clippers.

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for particular contractors for the deck work or a landscape architect. For the landscape architect, you might ask around one of these independent nursery places. They might have someone that works for them or works with them on that sort of thing.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:33 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Get a copy of your plat map. You can clear what you want, though woods sounds nice and private. Either way, you need to know where your property lines are.

You probably will need a building permit. Even though you are in the "Brentwood" section of Davidson, you live in the city of Nashville. As nashvols said, a good builder will secure the proper permits for you from the city. Find out for sure if you need one because the city can force you to tear out structures built without permits or place liens on your house if you refuse. Also, if you are in an HOA, be sure they don't have an approval process as well.

The last time I built a a deck that size, it was about $3200. But it was several years ago.

I have gotten really great landscaping plans from the designers at local nurseries, but they are SUPER busy right now and get booked up pretty quickly. It's just that time of year. Visit one that you like on a weekday if possible (NOT a Saturday) and see what they say about setting up a design appointment on site.

I know a couple of good landscape architects but they are not what I would consider affordable. Have you done an internet search for Middle Tennessee slope landscaping ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: