Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 AM

34 posts, read 65,452 times

Advertisements

Nashville surely must be larger than Memphis at this point. Obvious much larger in terms of metro population, but why should Memphis retain the name "largest city in Tennessee" when it is clearly not. Is Nashville bigger than Memphis now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 10:29 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
Memphis still has a larger population. There is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison because Nashville has a combined city-county government. The last time I looked I think Shelby County had something like 200,000 more people than Nashville-Davidson County.

It doesn't matter to anyone in Nashville. I'm guessing it's a slight source of pride in Memphis.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:22 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
It's not really a big deal.

Nashville passed Memphis in metro population around 1990. At that time, the gap between the city proper population was 610k to 488k. The 2010 Census had Memphis at 647k and Nashville at 601k. The latest estimates (2012) have Memphis at 655k and Nashville at 624k. At that rate (assuming nothing changes for either city), then they will meet sometime around 2016.

But who knows. Could be sooner. Could be after the next Census.

I guess it's sort of a bragging rights thing...but I don't think it crosses people's minds all that often.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:42 PM

428 posts, read 849,051 times
You haft to wait till the next census in 2010 to see if that happens. I doubt it will though because Nashville-Davidson county had no non-Hispanic White growth from census 2000 to census 2010. Most of the white growth occurred in the suburbs of the neighboring counties. Also the Nashville metro area is larger than the Memphis metro but the Memphis region is larger than the Nashville region which includes all of the Missouri bootheel, Northeast Arkansas, North Mississippi, and a good chunk of West Tennessee. Memphis metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nashville metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-25-2013, 03:45 PM

428 posts, read 849,051 times
Oh and if Memphis and Shelby county were consolidated like Nashville and Davidson Memphis would have 300,000 more people. According to census 2010 Nashville/Davidson county had 626,681 while Shelby county had 927,644. At the end of the day though this does not matter. No one cares its not a competition.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStateDawg View Post
You haft to wait till the next census in 2010 to see if that happens. I doubt it will though because Nashville-Davidson county had no non-Hispanic White growth from census 2000 to census 2010. Most of the white growth occurred in the suburbs of the neighboring counties. Also the Nashville metro area is larger than the Memphis metro but the Memphis region is larger than the Nashville region which includes all of the Missouri bootheel, Northeast Arkansas, North Mississippi, and a good chunk of West Tennessee. Memphis metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What does white growth have to do with it? Nashville grew by 56,000 during that time frame, regardless.

And I'm not sure where you get the regional information from -- if you are referring to the DMA, then it includes one county in the Bootheel.

Memphis TV market

Nashville TV market

In terms of population, Nashville's TV market is significantly larger.

If you are referring to the Major Trading Area (MTA), I believe that is an antiquated system (I can't find any map later than 1992)...and Memphis's includes 3/4 of Mississippi, including Jackson.

Quote:
Oh and if Memphis and Shelby county were consolidated like Nashville and Davidson Memphis would have 300,000 more people. According to census 2010 Nashville/Davidson county had 626,681 while Shelby county had 927,644. At the end of the day though this does not matter. No one cares its not a competition.
Notice there is a distinction with how Nashville's population is listed. The 2010 population for Davidson County is 626,681, but the city population (the 'balance') is 601,222. That's because there are still several independent cities within Davidson County that do not count towards the population of Nashville.

If Memphis and Shelby County were to consolidate, the same would hold true there. Unless places like Germantown, Bartlett, Collierville, Arlington, Lakeland, and Millington voluntarily surrendered their charters, then the Memphis population would exclude them. It would still provide a decent bump in population, but nowhere near 300,000. It would only technically add all people living in unincorporated Shelby County. While the city/county government would operate as one entity, for the purposes of the Census, those in already established communities would count only for the county total, not the city total.

Going off of 2010 Census pops:
Shelby County - 927,644
-Bartlett - 54,613
-Collierville - 43,965
-Germantown - 38,844
-Lakeland - 12,430
-Arlington - 11,517
-Millington - 10,176
(total - 171,545)
Memphis (balance) - 756,099 (a gain of 109,210)

Old 06-25-2013, 04:45 PM

813 posts, read 2,032,033 times
Quote:

^ Barring a unforeseen downturn, the city of Nashville will pass the city of Memphis before the next census. In regard to the main county of the two metros, Shelby County is 1.5 times the size of Davidson so you would have to take a good chunk out of one of Nashville's surrounding counties to compare them honestly.

I am also not sure if I would conclude that Memphis influences a larger regional population based on the geographic areas it may influence if that's what you are implying. Many of the geographic areas you mentioned near Memphis are not well-populated. Consider as well that the Nashville metro already has almost a half million more people and the considerable gap in the size of the media markets the two cities service.

Last edited by ariesjow; 06-25-2013 at 06:04 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 05:00 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,053,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
It doesn't matter to anyone in Nashville. I'm guessing it's a slight source of pride in Memphis.
Yes because it gets brought up in the Memphis thread so much, right?

Old 06-25-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
Yes because it gets brought up in the Memphis thread so much, right?
Certain posters bring it up in both forums...but it hasn't been discussed in quite a while. For the average citizens of both cities, I imagine it is largely a non-issue. For the boosters, it's another bragging right.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Consider as well that the Nashville metro already has almost a half million more people and the considerable gap in the size of the media markets the two cities service.
That number is also TV households, not population alone. Population increases that gap to about 800,000 (2.5 million to 1.7 million).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville