Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:25 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
The only way this works out well for us is if Kroger leaves HT to manage itself, and remains distinct from Kroger as a more upscale grocery.
I think this is exactly what will happen. The Kroger folks know they and HT market to 2 different consumers for the most part. And even where there is overlap geographically, my guess is there's not as much market share overlap as you'd think. I would think the 2 could very easily coexist nearby one another under the same overall corporate umbrella, provided Kroger keeps HT's model the same. And provided HT doesn't give their new Big Brother a reason to shake up management (like posting major losses, etc).

To be honest, I could actually see them expanding the HT line to places like Hendersonville and other middle to upper scale suburbs to compete more directly with Publix and without really hurting their own existing stores. Areas not dense enough for Whole Foods and Trader Joes but with deep enough pockets to support a higher end grocer.

I have been in HT once or twice. Liked what I saw. But I'll always be a Publixian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I think this is exactly what will happen. The Kroger folks know they and HT market to 2 different consumers for the most part. And even where there is overlap geographically, my guess is there's not as much market share overlap as you'd think. I would think the 2 could very easily coexist nearby one another under the same overall corporate umbrella, provided Kroger keeps HT's model the same. And provided HT doesn't give their new Big Brother a reason to shake up management (like posting major losses, etc).

To be honest, I could actually see them expanding the HT line to places like Hendersonville and other middle to upper scale suburbs to compete more directly with Publix and without really hurting their own existing stores. Areas not dense enough for Whole Foods and Trader Joes but with deep enough pockets to support a higher end grocer.

I have been in HT once or twice. Liked what I saw. But I'll always be a Publixian.
I hope that you're right, but I'm not overly optimistic.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
I don't hate Kroger either, but HT has some great items that Kroger doesn't carry. I hope they won't stop carrying them.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:42 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
I do think Kroger and Harris Teeter can coexist as long as Kroger doesn't water down the quality of Harris Teeter. Kroger's meat department and bakery are awful (especially the bakery). Like Don, I'm a Publixian through and through, but I always looked at HT as a good alternative in the absence of Publix. I particularly like how HT has some urban locations. Kroger seems stuck on building gigantic stores with huge parking lots, whether it's in the suburbs or in the middle of town.

Also, I've noticed that Kroger doesn't seem to spend as much on upkeep as places like Publix and Harris Teeter. It doesn't take long for a brand new Kroger to start looking dirty (such as the one near me in the Fountain City area of Knoxville). Harris Teeter is known particularly for its stores' cleanliness.

I do remember a list came out a year or so ago that ranked the country's best grocery store chains. Nashville has four of the top ten: Trader Joe's, Publix, Costco, and Harris Teeter. Kroger didn't crack the top 10.

The Best Supermarkets In The Country, As Ranked By 'Consumer Reports'

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 07-11-2013 at 05:41 AM..

Old 07-10-2013, 01:52 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,007 times
I'm spoiled by our new Kroger Market Place in West Knoxville on Cedar Bluff. I guess that's why I'm such a big fan.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:04 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
I live in the Charlotte area where HT is headquartered. The word here is that the Corp offices will remain here (for how long who knows). They will leave the HT's alone and they will just operate as a subsidary of Kroger. I have 3 HT stores within 15 minutes of me in all directions since they bought out Lowe's food last year. There is a rumor that Publix is opening up not far from us (thank god) as HT is way,way overpriced.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:27 PM

78 posts, read 113,599 times
My daughter just got an email from Harris Teeter today that stores will remain the same.
JoAnn

Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 PM

909 posts, read 1,062,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I do think Kroger and Harris Teeter can coexist as long as Kroger doesn't water down the quality of Harris Teeter. Kroger's meat department and bakery are awful (especially the bakery). Like Don, I'm a Publixian through and through, but I always looked at HT as a good alternative in the absence of Publix. I particularly like how HT has some urban locations. Kroger seems stuck on building gigantic stores with huge parking lots, whether it's in the suburbs or in the middle of town.

Also, I've noticed that Kroger doesn't seem to spend as much on upkeep as places like Publix and Harris Teeter. It doesn't take long for a brand new Kroger to start looking dirty (such as the one near me in the Fountain City area of Knoxville). Harris Teeter is known particularly for its stores' cleanliness.

I do remember a list came out a year or so ago that ranked the country's best grocery store chains. Nashville has four of the top ten: Trader Joe's, Publix, Costco, and Harris Teeter. Kroger didn't crack the top 10.

The Best Supermarkets In The Country, As Ranked By 'Consumer Reports'
Yet, most Kroger stores remain packed with customers. Take Sam Ridley Pkwy. for example where Publix and kroger are about a block apart on the same side. Kroger usually has been at least twice as busy over the years. Sometimes more. Now that Kroger is going through some renovations that make it harder to get in and out, Publix has grabbed a bit of their business but as soon as Kroger throws some sort of "Grand Re-Opening" or whatever, it will be slammed full of customers and Publix goes to the back burner for most people. If that Publix is serious at holding on to any market-share it picks up from Kroger, it needs to stay open later than 10pm.

Last edited by JMT; 07-11-2013 at 05:41 AM..

Old 07-10-2013, 10:38 PM

256 posts, read 482,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bab123 View Post
My daughter just got an email from Harris Teeter today that stores will remain the same.
JoAnn
The HT stores will remain the same, until they aren't.

Count me in as a Publixian.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:02 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I recently walked through the Kroger in Goodlettsville which used to be the only big grocery store in the area. It's hard to put a finger on it, but it seemed depressing. Sort of dark and worn. Compared to the Publix about a 1/4 mile down the road which is bright and spotless. Granted, the Publix is probably just 6 years old and the Kroger is more like 30. Nevertheless, in the wake of new competition, you'd think Kroger would spend some money in refurbishing some of their anchor stores in the area. Same goes for Hendersonville's Kroger too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVofM View Post
Yet, most Kroger stores remain packed with customers. Take Sam Ridley Pkwy. for example where Publix and kroger are about a block apart on the same side. Kroger usually has been at least twice as busy over the years. Sometimes more. Now that Kroger is going through some renovations that make it harder to get in and out, Publix has grabbed a bit of their business but as soon as Kroger throws some sort of "Grand Re-Opening" or whatever, it will be slammed full of customers and Publix goes to the back burner for most people. If that Publix is serious at holding on to any market-share it picks up from Kroger, it needs to stay open later than 10pm.
I think people are just comfortable with going to Kroger because that's what they've always done in this area. Other than HG Hills, Kroger was the only game in town for decades. And there is a perception that Kroger is cheaper than Publix, which I think is true but not significantly cheaper...and certainly the quality of the specialty items like meat/produce/bakery and overall service is better at Publix. I wonder about your comment about Publix staying open later. I've never thought about that. I guess their philosophy is that the late night demographic is one that they're willing to not compete for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcitymike View Post
The HT stores will remain the same, until they aren't.

Count me in as a Publixian.
Probably right. It'll be one of those slow things...5 years down the road you'll look up and realize some subtle, but important, changes have been made probably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville