Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 12:58 PM

156 posts, read 377,614 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks -

I have a basic question to ask about an area west of Nashville. If you would, please provide some information about the area in/around Dickson - as far as how it might serve as a retirement location. I notice it is approx 20 miles from major medical and shopping, and a home priced in the $200K range seems to be clean and well kept. I have searched and bookmarked homes of interest in Pleasantview, Centerville, Bon Aqua, and Dover.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 01:23 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
Well, you are certainly all over the map with all of those locations.

I don't have a lot of first-hand experience with Dickson. It has a small population, a rural feel for the most part, and Dickson County might not be as prosperous as some other counties in the general Nashville area (if you're retired that's probably not a problem). The drive in to Nashville for medical and shopping isn't bad. There is a nice state park nearby.

You might also look at Kingston Springs (which is in that general vicinity but in Cheatham County).

Old 07-22-2013, 04:12 PM

Your reply is appreciated. Would you estimate that homes in Cheatham County are generally priced higher due to the higher prosperity in that County?

Old 07-22-2013, 04:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Your reply is appreciated. Would you estimate that homes in Cheatham County are generally priced higher due to the higher prosperity in that County?
No, in fact, I would not describe it as prosperous at all. One example is that the school system is trying to cut millions from its budget so they can open this year. The majority of residents there commute out of the county to work since there is hardly any industry there.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
It would take a while to explain the situation in Cheatham County. It's a very small county with very rough terrain and less retail (and therefore less of a tax base). It's never been as prosperous as some other counties. People in Cheatham County often go to either Nashville or Clarksville for many of their basic needs. Someone built two very large condo towers near the river in Ashland City a few years ago. I'm not sure how that eventually worked out. The major employer there is a huge water heater plant.

Still, both Pleasant View and Kingston Springs might work for you. PV is on the very north of the county and KS is on the southern tip (with the county seat of Ashland City in between). One of my "pretend daughters" lives in Pleasant View, and my best friend lives in Kingston Springs. It's a fairly easy drive from PV or KS in to Nashville. KS is really very close to being in Metro Nashville Davidson County.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:21 AM

Very helpful information from all of you. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughtful replies.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:10 AM

I assume you're aware that Dover is about a two-hour drive to Nashville and something of a long drive to Clarksville. Paris, TN, a little west of Dover, is sometimes ranked high on lists of places to retire however.

Centerville is also a bit "out there." It's probably going to seem like a very long drive to major medical and shopping.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:39 PM

16 posts, read 24,606 times
We lived in Dickson for many years and enjoyed it. The only reason we moved was due to job change. There is a hospital, medical practices, restaurants, and some shopping. Prices for homes vary depending on where you are looking to live. Dickson is 30 minutes from Oprymills and 45 minutes from the Nashville airport.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:17 AM

13 posts, read 29,710 times
We have lived in Dickson for 25 yrs. and have no regrets. It used to be a sleepy little bedroom community...and still is for the most part. We found ourselves going to Nashville for the malls, Home Depot and the like. Not so anymore. Maybe we are getting older, or the fact that my wife works at Vandy 3 days a week, and doesn't care to drive there a fourth time. Dickson, in my opinion, is just the right distance from Nashville. We have 3 rental homes that have housed transplants from other states. A lot have worked in Nashville and found 1)traffic/commute to be nothing compared to what they were used to. 2)great schools. 3)the Renaissance Center(google it). 3)Great parks & services(some of the best walking/hiking opportunities) 4) 3 superior golf courses. 5) YMCA on the way.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamaray View Post
We have lived in Dickson for 25 yrs. and have no regrets.
Regarding health care, you mentioned a hospital located in Dickson. Question: For major medical services, are folks frequently referred to a more specialized facility in Nashville? Heart surgery, eye surgery, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville