Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 10:02 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times

Advertisements

It's a puddle.

Last edited by JMT; 09-01-2013 at 06:10 AM..

Old 08-31-2013, 11:06 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,785 times
That looks like a health hazard: stagnant water, mosquitos...etc.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:49 PM

17 posts, read 43,811 times
A puddle is something I can step on, with shoes on, and not get my shoe and sock soaking wet because it came up over the top of my shoe. It is in no way possible a "puddle" unless you lived somewhere that rained 98% of the time.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:07 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck79 View Post
A puddle is something I can step on, with shoes on, and not get my shoe and sock soaking wet because it came up over the top of my shoe. It is in no way possible a "puddle" unless you lived somewhere that rained 98% of the time.
You either have small feet or have never lived in Nashville during the springtime.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:34 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
I actually had an issue with the neighbor behind me. Very small yards that all back up to each other, separated by a wood fence. My back yard would flood in one corner after a rain. Once it became an actual stream out to the street! I happened to notice (nosy me) that my neighbor had connected those black accordion-ish tubes to both his back drainspouts and was directing water to the edge of his yard, OR right into mind. He must have had some flooding issues and decided to send it MY way!

WFT!!!

So I got in touch with the HOA. Although there are no HOA rules on the book, they sent a letter to the guy. In the meantime, I got in touch with the City of Franklin and a guy actually came out! He agreed it seemed unneighborly. Went back to the office with some photos he had taken and . . .

There was NOTHING he could do about it. It was on private property. And there are quirky rules (not just in Franklin, but in general) about water. It gets to go where it wants to, sit where it wants to. Water gets to decide pretty much on its own where to go. I can't seem to find the website about water but seriously, it is it's own entity and a real gray area in terms of enforcement. Unless you are polluting a reservoir.

How long is the water there? I mean, does it eventually drain???

The guy actually eventually rerouted his back drain spouts underground and out to his side of the street, bless him, but there was nothing I could do to force the issue.

http://realestate.findlaw.com/neighb...-disputes.html

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 09-01-2013 at 10:52 AM..

Old 09-01-2013, 10:51 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Water does go where it wants, until the city puts up a concrete barrier to make it stay in front of your house.

Private property/neighbor-to-neighbor issues are different from issues like the OP, where water from the street (public right of way) is affecting private property.

See, this is one of the neighborhoods that doesn't have sidewalks, gutters and underground strom drains. So runoff can be a very tricky problem.

Municipalities can enter private property to construct a runoff swale if the runoff is coming from a street.

I will be very surprised if the city leaves this the way it is, unless they look at the water pooling and evaporating in front of your property as the lesser of two evils.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:56 AM

17 posts, read 43,811 times
I don't know how long it would take to evaporate, after 12 hours it was still there and then it rained during the night so it's still a swimming pool. I've taken some photos since I'm sure they will send the surveyor out after it hasn't rained for 3 weeks.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:00 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Even private property drainage is getting legislated now. Tennessee may be a few years behind but we've really gotten it here in MD. New construction has to contain runoff on the property (green roofs and rain barrels are the most common fix) while, unless a natural water course (try to define that one) runoff from current buildings can have complaints filed and measures ordered to contain it.

Runoff from streets is now directed to stormwater catchments (a wrinkle being thrown out there is treating the runoff). That's one reason why curbing is being installed where there wasn't any before.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Runoff from streets is now directed to stormwater catchments (a wrinkle being thrown out there is treating the runoff). That's one reason why curbing is being installed where there wasn't any before.
As you can see from the photo on page 1, the curb is not directing the water anywhere. It's just damming it up in the cul-de-sac.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:59 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
As you can see from the photo on page 1, the curb is not directing the water anywhere. It's just damming it up in the cul-de-sac.
Which is what happens a lot of the time when you back engineer stormwater systems in places that originally didn't have them. The road was likely sloped to direct the water down the hill which is now somebody's yard. Expect repaving.

Just looked at the first (dry) picture. The curb has a paving lip on it so the OP should expect even more disruption in the next few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville