Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 04:49 AM

620 posts, read 1,198,759 times

Advertisements

Is it because of crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 05:52 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,435 times
The crime level in East Nashville continues to go down. They both probably have comparable crime. Germantown is a really small area compared to East Nashville. Most people consider East Nashville to be Dickerson Rd...all the way around to the river and then up to Briley....that's a huge area. I think there is a a lot of new infill in Germantown because they had a cleaner slate to work with (so to speak) and it was easier for developers. Businesses (even though they are not what everyone wants) have thrived in East Nashville for a long time...ie: wig stores and dollar stores....it's amazing how many there are. Most of Gallatin Road is an eyesore....but you can't just mow down profitable businesses...it takes time for things to change....and believe me...they HAVE changed. Both Germantown and East Nashville are completely different than when I moved to Nashville in 94.

When you say Germantown/Salemtown has gentrified faster....I assume you are comparing that with the areas of East Nashville that haven't completely gentrified? You're not talking about Lockeland Springs, East End and Edgefield....etc...correct?

Old 10-11-2013, 06:06 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Proximity to downtown.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
The crime level in East Nashville continues to go down. They both probably have comparable crime. Germantown is a really small area compared to East Nashville. Most people consider East Nashville to be Dickerson Rd...all the way around to the river and then up to Briley....that's a huge area. I think there is a a lot of new infill in Germantown because they had a cleaner slate to work with (so to speak) and it was easier for developers. Businesses (even though they are not what everyone wants) have thrived in East Nashville for a long time...ie: wig stores and dollar stores....it's amazing how many there are. Most of Gallatin Road is an eyesore....but you can't just mow down profitable businesses...it takes time for things to change....and believe me...they HAVE changed. Both Germantown and East Nashville are completely different than when I moved to Nashville in 94.

When you say Germantown/Salemtown has gentrified faster....I assume you are comparing that with the areas of East Nashville that haven't completely gentrified? You're not talking about Lockeland Springs, East End and Edgefield....etc...correct?
Well I am speaking as a whole...I both areas have parts that have done complete 180s but also parts that haven't changed much.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:37 AM

Well, in that regard...it just goes back to size. It only took a few large developments in Germantown to completely change the look and feel of the neighborhood. It's going to take a lot more in East Nashville to get to that point. Germantown doesn't have a main artery going through the middle of it. I don't think it will take much longer before most of the spots in Germantown and Salemtown are developed (redeveloped)....but it's going to take a long time in East Nashville. There are several larger projects in the works right now on Main and Woodland that will help...but there is still a lot to be developed/redeveloped. I think the Amp will move that along more quickly. Along with the redevelopment of the Cayce Homes. The potential for things to explode along Main/Gallatin is there...we will just have to wait and see how quickly it happens.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:12 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
Germantown and salemtown put together are incredibly tiny compared to East Nashville.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
Well, in that regard...it just goes back to size. It only took a few large developments in Germantown to completely change the look and feel of the neighborhood. It's going to take a lot more in East Nashville to get to that point. Germantown doesn't have a main artery going through the middle of it. I don't think it will take much longer before most of the spots in Germantown and Salemtown are developed (redeveloped)....but it's going to take a long time in East Nashville. There are several larger projects in the works right now on Main and Woodland that will help...but there is still a lot to be developed/redeveloped. I think the Amp will move that along more quickly. Along with the redevelopment of the Cayce Homes. The potential for things to explode along Main/Gallatin is there...we will just have to wait and see how quickly it happens.
It seems like every time I hear about an EN shooting its in the Cayce homes. I don't know what the deal is with the other side of Gallatin road but I am guessing all the section 8 apartments off Shelby is whats keeping Main st from changing. But maybe I am being a little optimistic there, I always see trashy looking people on Main st. It gets a little better as the road changes to Gallatin for a bit, then reverts back to ghetto somewhere around W Eastland and Gallatin.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:36 AM

Excuse me, I just looked at the two areas on a map. I didn't know they were so disproportionate. How about this; compare cleveland & mcferrin park to germantown and salemtown instead. That would make more sense.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:56 AM

You're right....there's a lot of crime that's contained to the Cayce Homes (not all of it but a lot). I live 3 streets over and I haven't had a problem in over 5 yrs (knock on wood). A lot of the people that wander up and down Main are homeless. There are soup kitchens on Main. It's a difficult situation...they have nothing else and nowhere to go. Slowly, as things develop they will be pushed out...I'm not sure what's next for them. The good thing about Cayce is that it's going to become a mixed income neighborhood....and statistically, those types of developments do wonders for crime levels. We will see.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:01 AM

Those areas are closer in size...the problem becomes....Cleveland and McFerrin started developing when the other areas (Lockeland, East End and Edgefield....etc)began running out of opportunities and became more expensive. So, it was more like a natural progression to the next closest area. Germantown has been developing at the same time as Lockeland Springs...etc...and Salemtown developments are fairly recent. Salemtown would be more comparable to Cleveland Park (for instance)...because it was the next closest thing (opportunity) for development. Again....the smaller area is going to gentrify quicker. This is all just my opinion and what I've observed....but I've spent a lot of time and been interested in both areas for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville