Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 03:20 PM

620 posts, read 1,198,606 times

Advertisements

Note that this is by crime rate, so some areas will have very high crime that are not in the hood. Downtown for example, with all the people there is much more crime likelier to occur. Edgefield in East Nashville has a lot of crime although it is nice, im guessing people from Cayce homes and Parkway Terrace often times steal from porches or break in because there are nice things to take. North Nashville is very poor, although many areas have low crime. I don't know too much about Nashville but I know Oakland and it was dead on. Someone sticky this because this is a block by block report for every block. Potential residents can benefit immensely from this. If you zoom in close enough you can see where each individual crime has occurred.

http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Na...nnessee/crime/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 03:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
Note that this is by crime rate, so some areas will have very high crime that are not in the hood. Downtown for example, with all the people there is much more crime likelier to occur. Edgefield in East Nashville has a lot of crime although it is nice, im guessing people from Cayce homes and Parkway Terrace often times steal from porches or break in because there are nice things to take. North Nashville is very poor, although many areas have low crime. I don't know too much about Nashville but I know Oakland and it was dead on. Someone sticky this because this is a block by block report for every block. Potential residents can benefit immensely from this.
You forgot the map.

Why are you obsessed with crime here?

Old 12-11-2013, 03:25 PM

620 posts, read 1,198,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You forgot the map.

Sociology major here, studying to become a criminologist. I guess its interesting to me.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
Good thing most of the crime in Murfreesboro happens at the school

Old 12-11-2013, 05:46 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
Sociology major here, studying to become a criminologist. I guess its interesting to me.

And yet you never talk about the Napier homes. They do drive-by shootings on bicycles there.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:13 PM

933 posts, read 2,742,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You forgot the map.

BayAreaDave - Just as you seem to take offense to stereotypes/bad mouthing of Antioch, you seem to apply the same generalizations/broad strokes to other neighborhoods in Nashville, in particular East Nashville. If you knew of which the depths it sprang from, and the remarkable revitalization that is going on you might not focus on bashing East Nashville so much. Crime has plummeted over the last 10 years thanks to dedicated neighbors and the East Precinct. I've lived in East Nashville probably since you were itty bitty and haven't as much had even a car break in. The positives - I've got a lot of great neighbors and friends, can walk or ride a bike to just about anything I need (restaurants, grocery, gym, music venues, and greenspace/Shelby Park) and am really close to downtown amentities. If you look at real esate price trends, it seems the market is backing me up (with a lot of other areas in middle TN).

Most of us on here know that Antioch gets a bad rap and it is nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be. There are a lot of pluses and a sizable minority middle class who are dedicated to investing back into the community. You do not have to trash other neighborhoods to make your point. How about focusing on some positive aspects of the city?

Last edited by yank283; 12-11-2013 at 07:53 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 08:06 AM

815 posts, read 2,018,377 times
I think doing a study of crime in cities like Detroit, Chicago, or maybe even Memphis would be a little more effective. Nashville has crime that any other metropolitian city would have because where ever there are peope there will be crime, however, Nasvhille's crime is not a major problem like it is in the cities listed above.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:32 AM

914 posts, read 1,983,949 times
The major problem with this map is that it isn't normalized for density. What people should be interested in is, "what are the odds that I will be affected by crime." If you live in a dense neighborhood there will likely before crime per area, but the likelihood of being affected by that crime may actually be smaller than in many less denser read with fewer crimes per area. Looking at this map one would think you're going to be shot and killed by going to the Vanderbilt campus. Of course, on a weekday there are probably 30,000 people on campus, so the odds of something happening to you are quite low.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:50 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I think doing a study of crime in cities like Detroit, Chicago, or maybe even Memphis would be a little more effective. Nashville has crime that any other metropolitian city would have because where ever there are peope there will be crime, however, Nasvhille's crime is not a major problem like it is in the cities listed above.
Not sure where you get your info from. Nashville has just as much capacity as any of those cities to have a poor crime rate. Considering all crimes, murder, rape, robbery, assault, it's give and take between Chicago and Nashville on who has a higher rate in the specific field and which year.

Based on media perceptions, crime is highlighted in Chicago, and possibly not in Nashville. But the rates are comparable.
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...Tennessee.html
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Illinois.html

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_crime_rate

Last edited by NARFALICIOUS; 12-12-2013 at 10:05 AM..

Old 12-12-2013, 11:12 AM

815 posts, read 2,018,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Not sure where you get your info from. Nashville has just as much capacity as any of those cities to have a poor crime rate. Considering all crimes, murder, rape, robbery, assault, it's give and take between Chicago and Nashville on who has a higher rate in the specific field and which year.

Based on media perceptions, crime is highlighted in Chicago, and possibly not in Nashville. But the rates are comparable.
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...Tennessee.html
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Illinois.html

EDIT: United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
People in urban areas of Chicago will tell you they have a major crime problem in some areas of Chicago, it has even been featured in the media. Most of the schools here are pretty much safe, a lot of wanna be thugs and gangs, some real, but it does not compare to Chicago and some other cities where senseless, random, murders are occuring just because... That is not going on here. Yea we have our share, but it is not a daily thing, not even a weekly thing. You can walk in almost all areas of Nashville with any color on, you can not do that in some cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville