Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:14 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
That's all well and good, but a disturbing number of parents send their kids to school in shorts or light jackets when it is below freezing anyways. A lot of kids out there probably don't own a pair of gloves, or a winter hat.
Just looked at Target.com, it's less than 10 total for a pair of gloves and hat for kids...
Unless one lives in South Florida, no real excuse for not having a set of these tucked away in the closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Exactly. Just as Tennessee doesn't have many snow plows because it's not worth the investment for the few times we get snow, many Tennesseans don't have a lot of heavy winter clothing because it just doesn't get this cold very often. Besides, school districts around here have built-in snow days in the calendar so it's not like the kids will be shortchanged in their education.
Winter clothing isn't necessary, just layers.
And it's not really the kids, but the fact that some parents have to work and can't get childcare...

Eh, I guess I'm making a big deal out of it, I don't have kids so why worry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 10:16 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
That's all well and good, but a disturbing number of parents send their kids to school in shorts or light jackets when it is below freezing anyways. A lot of kids out there probably don't own a pair of gloves, or a winter hat.
A lot of kids, even affluent ones, only have a heavy fleece and not proper winter parkas.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:23 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Just looked at Target.com, it's less than 10 total for a pair of gloves and hat for kids...
Unless one lives in South Florida, no real excuse for not having a set of these tucked away in the closet.
Neat. Now how about you go tell all the parents that.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:24 AM

815 posts, read 2,018,770 times
Actually as I posted the other day, the very cold, wind actually helped dry up some of the wet streets before it really got icy.. I think has it not been windy and a slower fall of temps it would have stayed just wet longer and actually froze... But as I figured, we got a dusting...

Old 01-06-2014, 11:21 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Exactly. Just as Tennessee doesn't have many snow plows because it's not worth the investment for the few times we get snow, many Tennesseans don't have a lot of heavy winter clothing because it just doesn't get this cold very often. Besides, school districts around here have built-in snow days in the calendar so it's not like the kids will be shortchanged in their education.
Aren't there mountains with snow somewhere in TN? Do people not travel?

Old 01-06-2014, 11:39 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Some people can't afford to travel, and some people make poor money decisions or have misplaced priorities.

None of this is a defense of why people are improperly equipped (or improperly equip their children). It's just reality.

It gets cold here, but it is infrequent enough where some people just don't invest in heavy coats or winter wear. If it were like the Northeast or Midwest, then I'm sure it would be different. But it's not.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:05 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Mountains in Tennessee, yes. Mountains in Tennessee with snow, sometimes. Note that there are no ski resorts in Tennessee except in Gatlinburg, and they still have a huge ice making machine that blows artificial snow down the slope because there's rarely enough natural snow for skiing.

In addition, there just aren't that many people who live in the mountains of Tennessee.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 01-06-2014, 12:34 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
Seems to me that when I see kids (mostly teens) getting out of school, even if it's pretty cold like in the 40's. they don't wear coats. Guess they want to appear tough?

A couple pairs of socks work great for gloves . . . . and I suspect even a baseball cap would be better than a bare noggin.

I didn't think it was THAT cold when I went out not to find the paper but just now? I think the wind has picked up . . . time for a hot toddy!

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 01-06-2014 at 01:16 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 12:49 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Seems to me that when I see (mostly teens) getting out of school, even if it's pretty cold like in the 40's. they don't wear coats. Guess they want to appear tough?

A couple pairs of socks work great for gloves . . . . and I suspect even a baseball cap would be better than a bare noggin.
LOL! If they want to look tough, then imagine them walking around with sock-gloves! Oh the ridicule. They'd be called "sock-hands" until they graduate.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:12 PM

584 posts, read 1,136,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Seems to me that when I see kids (mostly teens) getting out of school, even if it's pretty cold like in the 40's. they don't wear coats. Guess they want to appear tough?
After moving from the Midwest almost three years ago (time flies), we haven't needed heavy winter coats. My kids go from a warm car right into a school building and back again. Now one is driving and that kid comes out to a cold car, but the car has seat warmers and warms quickly. None of them want the hassle of a coat in and out of the car or taking up space in the school locker. I need to make sure my kid keeps something in the car, though.

In the Midwest, we had to have heavy winter wear for every day. Here, we need them once every two or three years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville